Help! Need new box. Boxee box not supported anymore
Hey. considering switching to xbmc. have used the boxee box but this is not supported anymore. Can not install xbmc on the boxee box, so need recommendation for a new box that supports xbmc. Must support 3D film. Is skeptical about the new android media players. What is recommended as a cheap solution. Have used ATV2 earlier, but was not completely satisfied.

Thank's for any help...
Interesting that support ended... they never even got it running stable for me lol. Mine last 1 year 6 months died 3 days ago. logo flashes 2 red 1 green won't boot or go to recovery. I was happy to see it die in a way cause I was so sick of trying to make it work well (or as some would say I expected to much from it). Lockups, not waking up from sleep, audio dropouts, SMB share issues, 3TB HDD support etc... I am wishing I built the HTPC I am building now back then and not spent 200 bucks on quirky little box. Kinda odd it dies as support ending announcement gets made Tongue

I was waiting for my ouya to come in the spring thinking XBMC Android would replace my BBox. Since it died early I am building a category 7 HTPC. I would rather pay for a nice HTPC now then waste hours with alpha android builds. I have lots of android devices and am stoked to use XBMC on them but its not ready to be a main unit with good WAF and kids factor yet IMHO.

I am just getting ready to order my setup and build I used some great threads stickied here for ideas to work off of.

This is what I am looking to build... or my 1st short list of components depending on feedback and tips I hope to receive. Good luck on decisions, BBox was so laggy and annoying I am very looking forward to a nice openelec XBMC. At least with home made HTPC and XBMC or the like you have some control to fix problems that bug ya. With BBox I was going blue holding my breath for fixes that never arrived and I couldn't do or help with myself. Last firmware patch was when Mar 2nd 2012 :/ Bug list was huge, so much was never addressed,
These boxes look great, couldn't find supported decoding levels on site am I blind. Using eskro's 1 - 7 categorization where would this boxes capabilities fall? I think by next spring early summer these assorted Android devices should be awesome cheap stable XBMC extender units for bedroom / den / garage Big Grin
Thanks for your help Smile
You might be interested in seeing the latest developments by Boxee+. see the below links for info

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=64648
http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=63248

While you cannot (yet) install XBMC on the Boxee Box, hopefully these guys will find a way. In the meantime they have made many improvements to the boxee box
(2012-12-03, 12:17)lukeashe Wrote: You might be interested in seeing the latest developments by Boxee+. see the below links for info
I wouldn't advise buying it though. When they stop supporting a not-too-old device completely, I lose all the trust a company could possibly have built up. Just sounds stupid to stop supporting it alltogether.

Quote:While you cannot (yet) install XBMC on the Boxee Box, hopefully these guys will find a way. In the meantime they have made many improvements to the boxee box
There is no way that XBMC will _ever_ find it's way on the Boxee Box besides Boxee itself due to the locked down nature of that thing. Boxee has contracts, with Netflix for example, which require them to lock the hardware completely down thus making it impossible to actually install anything else as a OS onto it.

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Another Boxee Box refugee here. I just can't find anything to replace my box. Seems I've read everything there is to read about streamers and I'm still not finding the right gadget. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction:

1) I want to stream wirelessly my movie collection (mainly MKVs & AVIs)
2) I want movie art, movie descriptions & ratings
3) A good solid remote with a keyboard or an IR port to use with my harmony
4) Support for Netflix
5) I don't care about android (XBMC straight boot is fine with me) but I want the system to be open so I don't get screwed (like Boxee)

I thought I found something when I found Xtreamer but the Atom proc scares me (like the Boxee, making it un-modifiable), the terrible reviews and while I thought I had no price threshold I cannot justify 300+$ on a box that is inferior to a HTPC (which I'd rather not have on account of it being big/noisy/more complicated then a streamer).

Am I just being too picky??
(2012-12-03, 19:53)djs2005 Wrote: Another Boxee Box refugee here. I just can't find anything to replace my box. Seems I've read everything there is to read about streamers and I'm still not finding the right gadget. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction:

1) I want to stream wirelessly my movie collection (mainly MKVs & AVIs)
2) I want movie art, movie descriptions & ratings
3) A good solid remote with a keyboard or an IR port to use with my harmony
4) Support for Netflix
5) I don't care about android (XBMC straight boot is fine with me) but I want the system to be open so I don't get screwed (like Boxee)

I thought I found something when I found Xtreamer but the Atom proc scares me (like the Boxee, making it un-modifiable), the terrible reviews and while I thought I had no price threshold I cannot justify 300+$ on a box that is inferior to a HTPC (which I'd rather not have on account of it being big/noisy/more complicated then a streamer).

Am I just being too picky??

No, you're not being picky. You're being sensible. For that price or a little more you can get a nice HTPC if you DIY. Getting Netflix puts you in the desktop CPU category though. Atom/Zacate aren't going to play Netflix HD in a way that'll make you happy with the results.

Hey Mallabarius, sorry for highjacking your thread.

Thanks for the info Dougie. I've done even more reading and I have come to a few conclusions. Either the Pivos Xios box or the Melee setup is what I want. However, it seems not too polished yet so it looks like I'll need to wait a bit. I've decided Netflix is no longer a must have as I can use the other 975680965 devices in my home theater setup that supports Netflix (ok so I was being a little exagerated) .

I mainly just want a really quick, pretty interface that has fanart for my collection on the NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help! Need new box. Boxee box not supported anymore1