Anyone use a cable amp/signal booster?
Thinking about trying a cable signal booster. Need some feedback before I go buying. I looked a the motorola 4 port on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140584145916?ssP...1423.l2649

Do these really help with picture quality, modem response for things like gaming? I still game a little and it's nice to win because you have less lag than your opponent Smile

I've added some TV's and a splitter for the cable here at my house. I've noticed some quality lost in the TV cable picture and tried several low loss splitter setups trying to get the best picture on the most used tv's.
I'm not sure something like that would even work with internet or not, certainly wouldn't affect your response times.

As for picture quality it can help, assuming signal strength is your problem to begin with and not line noise / interference / bad interconnects / etc.
You don't want a boosted signal going to your cable modem but to tuners/TVs it's fine. Try to locate any cable modems or network tuners as close to where the cable feed comes in off the street as you can.
As stated above, don't use the amp on your cable modem. Use a splitter on the cable coming into your house, with one output leg going directly to your cable modem (unamplified) and the other leg going to your amp and, from there, the amplified signal going to your various TVs. As with Dougie Fresh's comment about locating your cable modem close to the feed that comes into your house, you should likewise place your cable amp as far upstream as possible.

I was experiencing pixelation on some TV channels and adding an amp did help improve picture stability/quality.
You should first see if the signal strengh is low before adding this. It wont make the signal quality better but only amplify the signal strengh so you could get a stable image if you are currently loosing it often. If your signal strengh is already 100% but the quality is low, this might be worst with an amp.

Amplifiers are a way to bypass the splitters loss. Having a 4way splitters make you loose 7db on each output. I was alreayd borderline with many channel when plugged straight, then adding the splitter was killing many channels. That's why I added this amp

Pretty weird though that this one way, placed before the splitter is doing a little better than the 4way to replace my splitter

Overall, did a pretty good job. Most of my channels are now over 85-90% on a tuner
You can see here 4 preselected channels before the amp
Each columns are a different setup (from left to right) Signal with a 2way splitter, Signal Straight, Signal with a 4 way splitter

And here's the exact same setup adding a one way amp "before the splitter"

Hope this helps!
Wow that's awesome info thanks guys!
I have a noticeable difference in pic quality by eye with my splitters. Sounds like the amp is just what I should try.

We've steadily added tv's to the bedrooms and planning on more for the kitchen and bath LOL.
Lots of different brands of cable signal boosters and types on ebay. What's the difference between passive and active return? And the brands?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone use a cable amp/signal booster?0