adjust display framerate to video
Hi all!!!

question.

I'm trying to display perfectly smooth video.

Does the function ''adjust display framerate to video'' do anything on an lcd television??
I mean, aren't these displays fixed framerate? I believe mine is set at 59.89 HZ (displayed as 60HZ in the menu)

I am using the HDMI input on my lcd television.

Can someone please explain this to me?

thanks
Hello, wrong area to discuss this

Follow my signature information and find what you need, help yourself!

+11

uNi
I have watched your links just now (mainly the fix 24p & blablabla), but I am sorry to have to say this doesn't really answer my question.

Are lcd televisions fixed framerate? And is this function usefull with these displays?
Plus since you are using an nvidia video card and I am using an ATI, some of the functions you discribe don't really match my situation (wich doesn't really matter because is doesn't answer my question)

Thanks for the effort though, it is much appreciated

ps, in which area should I be in?? sry for the wrong placement
Thread moved to general help forum.
Read the options on XBMC.

Most LCD TV's are able to have varied refresh rates, depending on the content they receive. So no they are not fixed.

Adjust Display refresh rate to match Video > That means if Video is 24Hz or 23.976Hz And you TV is able to match this, with this setting on it will (depending on configuration) DO exactly what it says.

The XBMC GUI runs at 50/60HZ When you play a Video if your system is properly configured and your TV can handle it it should switch from 50/60Hz to 23Hz/24Hz/25Hz or stay at 50Hz or 60Hz if it cant.

Now you moan that what I offered is not a solution when in fact it is (If you have Linux and if you have those problems). Either way this is not a support area.

In case you want some help you have to provide more information, like a xbmc debug.log If your running Linux the contents of /var/log/xorg.0.log for starters.

Alternatively you can disable those options in XBMC and be done.

uNi
The answer is yes. If you want smooth playback - enable the "adjust display framerate to video" option.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I think something is misunderstood here.
I'm not having any problems with playback on XBMC.
I have 3 dropped frames on every video (since it's syncing when starting a video I always seem to have 3) and from then on out it stays perfectly stable which is fine by me.

The only reason for my post, was to UNDERSTAND how XBMC handles this, not to get a step by step guido how someone else solved there problem.

I'm sorry if my manner of posting the question has misled you.
Your last post however, explains exactly what I mean, thank you.

You say that "if you tv is able to match this''
How can I check if my TV can handle what XBMC tells it to do (refreshrate wise)

ps. I AM using linux but in your signature link u use the video clock function which drops/dupes the audio, I can't use this since I am using passtrough audio
Every video on start will drop something, some more some less (depends on where the video is located e.g network, local hdd) and Quality of files.

3 frames? Rofl

I use passtrough as well (depends on hw what audio sync to use), I guess we not going anywhere here with "this".

Again the how-to I posted has more information on how-to see what modes your TV supports, your not "interested" so, I'm not "interested" either. Thank you for making this easy for me.

Good luck with your future endeavours. Undecided

* un1versal signs out!

uNi
why is it that on forums people seemingly misunderstand you on purpose just so they can be rude?

It was (what I thought) the simplest of questions but the search option didn't give me a satisfying answer.

maybe it's because english isn't my native language and whenever I type something I sound like an ASS.

ah well.....I guess I never know
uNiversal Wrote:Perhaps when someone tries to help you, you would realize a few things, considering this is a international forum and no one gets paid to help or is even obligated to help..

1 - Realize that the person replying to you, may actually ALSO not be a native English speaker, so dont jump to conclusions.

2 - Dont throw ppl help in their faces by saying:

::sharkbait:: Wrote:The only reason for my post, was to UNDERSTAND how XBMC handles this, not to get a step by step guido how someone else solved there problem.

So that's why I decided to get out of this, since clearly I cant help you or understand what you mean because your not able to explain yourself clearly in first place.

I must be guilty of being rude then. So thank you for letting me know.

Though your questions been explained to you. In some detail in this unfortunate topic. I have to agree with you, you do sound like an ass, so I must in turn sound like an ass too?

uNi

I was not throwing anything in anybody's face. I was just trying to explain my intentions with this forum thread since my previous way of asking the question was misunderstood. Unfortunatly the second try was misunderstood aswell so no progress there.

Second. the only conclusion I drew was that maybe the way I was asking my question made me sound like an ass. I never jumped to any conclusion except that one.

I again apologise if I offended you in any way except for the last post which I really think had nothing to do with the original question.

let me try to explain it again. This time in a different way
I'm looking into buying a new tv and would like to make shure this gets the most of what XBMC has to offer.
Looking at the tv sets in the store I am really NOT impressed with the image. It's extreamly jittery at best.

The refreshrate issue is a very important thing in this matter since the ''smart'' tv sets you can buy today interpollate the hell out of the original video feed creating as much as 1200Hz. If there are syncing issues between your htpc and the tv will mean that there are 1176 wrongly interpollated images being produced out of a 24 frame video feed by the so called smart tv.

I was told plasma tv's can switch there refreshrate better than lcd panels. They are not locked as much.
But since XBMC gives you the option to alter refreshrates according this shouldn't be an issue. Or should it??

This was the whole purpose of the origional thread and that was the reason I posted this not under general help but general discussion.
any medium to highend LCD TV these days should support 23,976, 24, 25, 50, 60hz modes(and often 49,xx adn 59,xx)

Since most movies and most "scene released" tv-shows are 23,976hz, its a must for the TV to support that mode, so make sure it does before you buy.
wsnipex, thanks for the info!!
It's a shame that this isn't part of the little card placed underneath the tv in the store.
I find it hard to find this information about tv's before actually buying it.
When you ask the employee of the store about this he looks at you like he has just shit his pants.
I will try to check some manufacturers websites and maybe make a compatibillity list.
on your tv, your remote probably has an "info"' button. Press that and most likely it will display the refresh rate. that's how I check what my tv does with different media. If I play a 24p movie, it says 24Hz. If I play a 30p video, it says 60Hz.

In your debug log, it will most likely list the refresh rates your tv will accept. But I am not sure if accepting is the same as displaying for all tvs. That's why the most reliable is to check the info on the tv
I can't check this because I'm at work right now but I will try it as soon as I get home!!! thanks aptalca

I am currently reading up on refreshrates on newer tv's and ntsc vs pal resulting in 3:2 pulldown to display the feed correctly and I'm getting wiser by the minute.

First I was under the impression that the slight jitter that I see (can be seen during a slow panning view mostly used in documantaries) was caused by frame drops. clearly this is NOT the case.

Can't wait to get home now and give the famous info button a try Big Grin

edit: interesting article http://prolost.com/blog/2011/3/28/your-n...ovies.html
update:

When I came home from work I immediately tried the INFO button, or in my case, the OK button.
Whatever feed I give the tv, live tv, youtube videos or movies stored on the harddrive. It always says 60HZ so I am guessing my tv doesn't support anything else.

I found an interesting link on the web containing some different .mkv files especially designed for testing this issue

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachmen...rtests.rar

please feel free to give it a try and shed some light on the situation Big Grin...using these files it becomes very obvious what the problem is and how we can vastly improve displaying motion video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
adjust display framerate to video0