Laptop HTPC?
Has anyone considered any of the new laptops released lately as an HTPC?
Can you elaborate on your purpose? Do you mean plugging in your laptop to an AVR+HDTV? Or simply running XBMC on your laptop for viewing your library just like a living room setup?

With Frodo it's easy now to do the latter with thumbnail sync + mysql library.
(2012-11-15, 00:46)Malosar Wrote: Can you elaborate on your purpose? Do you mean plugging in your laptop to an AVR+HDTV? Or simply running XBMC on your laptop for viewing your library just like a living room setup?

With Frodo it's easy now to do the latter with thumbnail sync + mysql library.

Other than one less line to write in the advancedsettings.xml, why is it easier with Frodo?

No purpose other than to wonder if you can get a laptop to do everything a dedicated purpose-built HTPC for an equivalent or lesser price given the hardware coming out these days. Or is it just more economical to put the parts together into a small form factor desktop box?

Given the one I am working on putting together will still cost me to get Windows for it which will run me another $60 to $80 dollars. I see some family pack Windows 7 deals for about $65 bucks apiece for each of the 3 licences allowed on Amazon. Was considering XBMCbuntu but haven't priced components for an Intel system because people tell me that AMD graphics is terrible for linux based builds. If I can get all intel for the same price as an AMD system I'd go for that. That way I could save on buying Windows OS's as the goal is to build 3 HTPC's and sync them to replace 3 WD Live Hub boxes. Still Windows is attractive because I can add more capabilities to an HTPC that i might not be able to do with Linux. Arg, so many choices.
Was looking at an AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano 3.0GHz CPU, but am perfectly willing to go Intel, is there a good comparison between the CPU I just listed and an equivalent Intel i3 CPU?

Thanks. I'd love to go with all intel and use XBMCbuntu instead of the straight Windows setup if it gave me comparable performance.
I am currently running my media center on an old HP ProBook 4415s (Windows 7 Ultimate), and it runs pretty good. I have it connected via HDMI cable to my 55" TV. The only thing that stutters a little is watching full 1080p movies. I can watch HD TV shows fine. I can stream from Hulu\Amazon\Netflix\ESPN3 in HD with no issues also.

I am planning to build a proper HTPC and media server back end. But, a laptop is capable of running XBMC with little to no hiccups.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Laptop HTPC?0