OS X Frodo, HD audio options not found
Hey guys,

Does the Frodo Beta version for MAC OSX contains the new audio engine.

It seemed to be case, as I do not see any clue saying otherwise on the xvmc website beta announcement.

If it is there, then why I don't see the options related to HD audio in the system settings.

I set my output to HDMI btw.

Thanks
It does, but limitations in Mac OS X's audio APIs currently prevent us from enabling the HD audio passthrough features.
Ah... thats a shame... I guess its up to Apple to change that? So... probably not gonna happen anytime soon?
right ... and i knew users start coming up with this when reading the announcement. *grrr* - we should have made that clear in the first place imo.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Na... thats fine... this way, the placebo effect made believe that I was enjoying much better audio all of yesterday evening ;-)

Waited for the Beta this time before upgrading and so far I like what I see! So thanks a lot and keep up the good work! :-)

Yep that's a shame, but I guess it is still possible that you noticed an improvement, as the old audio engine was dating back to the original Xbox and its limitations!

And about Apple changing something about that, I guess it won't happen anytime soon as they do not support blu-ray and only blu-rays features HD audio....

Thats really sad... Sad
(2012-11-16, 13:18)lawbaer Wrote: Na... thats fine... this way, the placebo effect made believe that I was enjoying much better audio all of yesterday evening ;-)

The placebo effect goes a long way Laugh
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Enjoy your placebos guys - might even be that they are for real Smile *makes a magic hand move*
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Much respect to the AE team. I'm in IT and know how much time and effort they have devoted to this.

Anyway ... I've got a headless Mac Mini with OSX. It's a dedicated XBMC machine. Connected to Plasma via DVI and Denon AVR via Optical.

I know the hardware is capable of producing a great sound because I've played around with OSX Audio Players such as Pure Music. http://www.channld.com/puremusic/

But I love XBMC and really want it to be the one stop shop for audio and video.

I'm not fussed on what OS it's running on. If I installed Windows 7 or Linux on the Mac Mini. Would that give me the audio quality I'm after?

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.
For recent MacMinis (not sure on the exact year), yes, it should work via Windows or Linux.
Thanks.
In regards to the audio issue, I am also stuck with the lack of hd support on my Mac mini.

If I look at putting boot amp on it or parallels to run another OS, am I better off with Linux or windows.

Nb I have an apple remote and would like to use it if possible.

Thanks. John
Parallels is not enough. You need to install the other OS (windows or linux) nativly.
Thumbs Up 

No problems.

Is there any performance benefits from Linux over Windows. Note I will be streaming movies from my Windows Home Server NAS
Generally speaking, Linux will have less overhead than Windows or Mac OS X, so it should free up resources. The mac mini is probably fast enough that it won't make a significant difference, so I would just go with whatever you find easier.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo, HD audio options not found0