OS X Frodo, HD audio options not found
No problems.

Thanks for your input.
Hi Guys,

Just a question about the HD Audio on Mac's. I know that they don't support Bit streaming of HD audio but...

I know that Dolby True HD (haven't tried DTS HD MA) audio codes are being output as LPCM however i wonder at what quality?

Is XBMC passing the True HD at its full bit rate (i know this is variable) or is there some down sampling going on?

I guess what i'm asking is are we getting HD audio as PCM or some down sampled alternative?

Also is DTS HD MA output in the same way as i describe True HD above or does one get the DTS core?

Many thanks,

George
If I understand correctly, XBMC will still read those audio codecs/formats but will convert them to a "lesser" codec/format.
Frodo for OSX, at this time, seems to do no transcoding at all. At best, it may decode the various multichannel formats and output them as multichannel LPCM for HDMI only. That isn't exactly a conversion, but a decryption and playback on a specific platform. We need an OSX audio developer to help us out *and* Apple to give us a better capable CoreAudio API. My own coding is very limited, and has no OSX development at all, or I'd be looking at fixing the state of things.

We're being left behind while Windoze and Linux get the attention needed. Not a fault of current developers, of course. I'm grateful to see the work they can do and can only assume they are being honest about not knowing CoreAudio well enough to fix/finish AE for us.
(2012-11-16, 07:55)Ned Scott Wrote: It does, but limitations in Mac OS X's audio APIs currently prevent us from enabling the HD audio passthrough features.

Thank you for the information. It is really unfortunate that Apple is still a pain!
No idea if they work on it?
I have a 2011 Mac Mini with Parallels at the moment. Can anyone confirm that if I ditch Parallels and install Windows 8 through Boot Camp I will be able to enjoy HD audio please?
Chances are good if the hardware is capable...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-12-28, 07:23)superyo Wrote:
(2012-11-16, 07:55)Ned Scott Wrote: It does, but limitations in Mac OS X's audio APIs currently prevent us from enabling the HD audio passthrough features.

Thank you for the information. It is really unfortunate that Apple is still a pain!

Well, it's mainly a bluray audio format, and Mac isn't getting that supported system wide, so there is little incentive for apple to support it.
(2012-12-28, 12:26)Memphiz Wrote: Chances are good if the hardware is capable...
Thank you. Did you mean the Mac hardware or my amp? I know my amp is capable as it works fine with a dedicated Blu-ray player.
(2012-12-26, 18:39)georgejolliffe Wrote: Hi Guys,

Just a question about the HD Audio on Mac's. I know that they don't support Bit streaming of HD audio but...

I know that Dolby True HD (haven't tried DTS HD MA) audio codes are being output as LPCM however i wonder at what quality?

Is XBMC passing the True HD at its full bit rate (i know this is variable) or is there some down sampling going on?

I guess what i'm asking is are we getting HD audio as PCM or some down sampled alternative?

Also is DTS HD MA output in the same way as i describe True HD above or does one get the DTS core?

Many thanks,

George

For the DTS, it takes DTS core.

For Dolby True, I don't have any movie file with a DTHD track, so I can't tell.
(2012-12-28, 12:38)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-12-28, 07:23)superyo Wrote:

Well, it's mainly a bluray audio format, and Mac isn't getting that supported system wide, so there is little incentive for apple to support it.

OK thank you I understand.
It is thus that we will never have anything!
Never say never, but also don't hold your breath.
TrueHD is decoded (if hw can't bitstream) to full resolution, i.e. 8ch 192khz link speed. No loss. If hw can't handle it will be scaled down to match hw.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Alright, good to know thanks!

Good to know about True HD although i notice that DTS-HD MA seems to play the DTS core.

Are there any options to have XBMC decode DTS HD-MA and output at full resolution LPCM on a OSX (assuming compatible hardware)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo, HD audio options not found0