Win Media information scraping
Hi,

New user, first post.

Currently I use an XBox 360 for streaming duties, but have found this unreliable, slow, and doesn't support as many formats as I'd like and seems to insist on outputting 2.0 as opposed to the 5.1 I'd like it to through the fibre optic. That, and the front end for media browsing seems old fashioned.

I have recently started playing with XBMC and just as a play-around have installed it on my Windows 8 desktop PC. All my media is currently sitting on an external USB2.0 1.5Tb HDD directly attached to the PC. So far, I love it. I have got it add all my movies to the library and also pointed it at my TV shows. This is about as far as I've gone. I haven't delved into anything too complex yet. I have two questions, noting that I'd be using whatever the default scrapers are.

1. The scraper seems to pick up the wrong versions of films. For example, the 1980's Clash of the Titans is showing as the more recent one from a couple of years ago. My copy of Point Blank from the 1960s is showing as a more recent Mickey Rourke film of the same name, and there are one or two other examples. How do I tell XBMC that this is wrong and to grab the correct artwork and details?

2. (I may have just figured out what's wrong with this one but I'll ask the question anyway). Some TV shows show up fine with all details intact. My files are stored in a file structure like;

SHOW > SEASON > EPISODES where files always have a SxxExx filename. Some are in;
SHOW > SERIES > EPISODES with the files have the same SxxExx filename.

Going into TV Shows you can see all of the shows (24, Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Eureka and so on) but going into those shows reveals no episodes to watch. It seems to be mostly British shows funnily enough. No Blackadder, no Young Ones, no Bottom, no Red Dwarf. American ones for the most part seem to show fine.

Those are my questions, so if they've been asked a thousand times before I apologise.

I'm getting a Synology DS212j for Christmas and retiring the USB2.0 drive to backup purposes for the Synology. Once I've got all my media stored on that, I'll be looking at getting a Zotac box of some sort and running either XBMC on Windows 7 or perhaps OpenELEC. Haven't decided yet. I'm fairly techy, just unfamiliar with XBMC generally.

Thanks for any help.
Never mind, I just discovered the article about naming conventions and realise that my movies aren't necessarily named in such a way that will help the scrapers. Same goes for the TV shows.

Can I give myself rep for finding the answer myself? Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media information scraping0