Running XBMC on Ceton Echo's Android Platform
My ideal setup would be to have a XBMC-capable set top box that is also a CableLabs certified Media Center Extender. That way, I could watch not only my personal video library, but also the Copy Once encrypted television recordings I get through Time Warner. With the announcement this week that Ceton Echo will have Android ICS support, it seems that this might be the ideal STB to have such a capability. Does anyone know whether the Echo's hardware would be compatible with any current XBMC for Android development?
I would be interested in this as well.
I think the real question is if there's a PVR backend that runs on Android. Though I guess you could just switch apps between XBMC and a non-XBMC-friendly PVR/live TV app.
(2012-12-13, 15:18)Ned Scott Wrote: I think the real question is if there's a PVR backend that runs on Android. Though I guess you could just switch apps between XBMC and a non-XBMC-friendly PVR/live TV app.
In my case, I would need to switch apps out of XBMC to play most live/recorded TV anyway, as the encryption for non-broadcast channels is all specific to the host Windows Media Center box and unable to be decrypted by XBMC. However, if you have copy freely content (I think Comcast has most on channels other than HBO/SHO/etc), you can play the TV through XBMC without issue.

Either way, I would prefer to use my Ceton companion mobile app to schedule my recordings from anywhere in/out of the house, as well as browse the guide vs. a (poorly rated) remote that generally requires direct line of sight to the box or having to deal with the on screen display within XBMC. The real reason I post my question is not to have the PVR integration all in XBMC, since it already exists on some level, rather to have just a single STB for my bedroom that does both live/recorded TV and runs XBMC for my existing collection. The 360 does that as a Windows Media Center extender with Media Browser, but I am not a fan of the interface (lack of XBMC), the issues with codec support I've encountered, the lack of ability to connect external data drives, slow navigation through the guide, and the cost of power consumption required to run it 24 hours/day.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running XBMC on Ceton Echo's Android Platform1