Solved Hell yeah - XBMC & Bluray
Lightbulb 
Hi,

seems that the complicated way of playing - original - bluray discs is getting shorter, especially in linux.

The keyword is libaacs, a library & research project by the videolan-guys ..

Encrypted blurays, that don't use BD+, can be played now.

Any plans integrating it in xbmc's video player ?

So long

LastCoder

Btw. don't care too much about legal admissibility .. the library itself is legal, since its the implementation of some known algorithms; if you want to play encrypted disks - and that seems to be a classical scope of the fair use doctrine anyway - you'll have to get a special key file somewhere somehow ;-) ..
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
OpenElec is currently working with this lib...

More info can be found here:
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/prebuilt...-the-truth
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
Great ! Another milestone ... I don't use OpenElec atm, but if they got it I'll surely switch :-) .. the higher the W.A.F. :-) ..
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
UNCHAINED Demo Group
a little bit confusing that nobody - except for OpenElec team - here is interested in native bluray support by xmbc .. ripping discs with special tools is no real daily use alternative to a htpc built-in bluray drive. And running third party players may work but doesn't fulfill the xbmc-as-one-and-only-full-mediacenter-doctrine. For all the "we are scared sh*tless about the legal matters"-people - ripping a disc is definitely more illegal than watching original discs with a special player ..
UNCHAINED Demo Group
much more confused - seems that xbmc media player already uses libaacs ?!?!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134828&page=2
UNCHAINED Demo Group
Found this post while searching for info on how to solve the problem in that post!

Dont think xbmc has support for libaacs, as the OP has to mount the disc before its playable in xbmc which I think takes care of the aacs encryption. And thats where our problems start - looks like xbmc doesnt recognise a manually mounted bluray as a bluray disc so it wont play from the 'play disc' home screen entry (though xbmc does play the files on the disc fine if the files are selected through 'files'). If you have any ideas on how to make this work Id love to hear them!

LastCoder - not XBMC is using libaacs if it's found, but libbluray IIRC - so having it on your system (don't know the exact folder it has to reside in) should already work. But I could remember wrong.
But note that libaacs is no final solution either, having more and more blurays use BD+ encryption and such.
what da-anda said. on linux its like this: xbmc uses libbluray, which in turn can use libaacs, if installed.
Hell yeah ! Guys, why the hell did nobody think it's even worth to mention that bluray support from inside xbmc is - even in a "limited" way - available ?!?

I tested it just with the libbluray & libaacs installed .. and yes, simply choosing index.bdmv will play an aacs encrypted bluray ! ..simply amazing .. great deal ! That's what I was missing last for my HTPC ..

And that solution works even better than powerdvd .. I could even play a bluray that wasn't supported by powerdvd ! MakeMKV is no real alternative - it may decrypt bd+, but since it streams the media you can't pause, forward or skip parts ..

@da-anda: yeah, may be, but even my disney blurays from 2012 are only aacs encrypted and could be played that way .. I guess that choosing bd+ encryption is more expensive than the aacs licence fee ?!? An aacs works flawlessly while bd+ provokes a lot of problems - necessary firmware updates to bluray players, required internet connection and so on. Btw. since bd+ vm emulation is on early alpha stage with libbdplus we will get it soon too :-)

So long

LastCoder
UNCHAINED Demo Group
Ahhh so xbmc is using libaacs in a round about kinda way, cool. Any idea why xbmc won't play the disc when it's inserted (seems like it's still encrhpted) and why the files are accessible after being manually mounted? Maybe I don't have libbluray installed, but I think that's a dependency for xbmc, ill check tonight.

I'm going to back up the dark knight rises (aacs encryption but doesn't work with libaacs) to see how xbmc handles unencrypted blurays.
Love to hear this, I sometimes feel bluray files wether it be the discs, mt2s files, bluray folders, goes overlooked in xbmc.

Great to hear progress is being made.
+1 for the blu-ray support

a feature like that is effective & critical to hardcore Blu-ray collectors
if libaacs does not provide any keys...how could be possible that some guys does not have to provide their own keys to watch blurays ??

im talking about this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134828&page=2
cu
you must provide the KEYDB.cfg yourself.
I just wanted to resurrect this thread as I started messing around with OpenElec yesterday but was a bit turned off by the lack of BD support.

With OpenElec 3.0 I am "ready to go" for playback of my commercial BDs (from optical) if I install the proper files?

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hell yeah - XBMC & Bluray1