Linux Black Screen with immobile cursor in center
Sad 
I grabbed a computer out of the box which is a brand new slim gateway PC with onboard Intel graphics and a Pentium Dual Core processor. I burned XBMCbuntu 12 RC to a CD and installed the software by wiping the drive. The installation went to completion, but when I restart the computer it goes through the XBMC splash screen to a black screen with a mouse cursor dead center that I cannot move. I've tried three types of USB mice without any luck. I've also tried booting up with a vga cable attached as well as an HDMI cable, but I haven't had any luck either way. I get the same results.

I'm a noobie with Linux, but I'm a quick learner. Can someone give me a push in the right direction?
Self bump
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Please post your system specs or make/model number so others with same/similar hardware can comment. My guess would be a video driver/compatibility issue.
XBMC debug logs too so we see what driver is installed (not that I have intel gpu anyway)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...x_XBMC_log

uNi
Thanks for the reply!

So here are my system specs:

Gateway SX2865-UR11P
Intel Pentium G630
4GB DDR3
Integrated Intel HD Graphics

I'm not quite sure how to access the debug feature. I've also noticed that when it boots up I can move the cursor around for about a half a second before the screen freezes. Black screen with a mouse cursor.

The debug feature can be accessed if you read the part about the debug log on the link I posted.

uNi
I HAVE read the link above, and all it says is to type in the above command line to generate a bug report along with the location of the log file. What I don't understand is how I'm supposed to access terminal when XBMC loads immediately after boot and then proceeds to freeze my screen.
(2012-12-16, 15:31)Allute Wrote: I HAVE read the link above, and all it says is to type in the above command line to generate a bug report along with the location of the log file. What I don't understand is how I'm supposed to access terminal when XBMC loads immediately after boot and then proceeds to freeze my screen.

You can get to the commandline remotely by using ssh http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=SSH
I have the same problem. Intel G530 processor using integrated graphics. RC1 installs without reporting any errors - I had 'download updates while installing' and 'install third-party software' both activated. Then when it reboots it just goes to an immovable cursor.

Sad
@Allute now added the link that @maurice118 posted to the FAQ about SSH. So you can add enable debugging and submit a log so that we see whats going on.

@discmeister We still want logs to determine whats going on with your system as well as Allute's system.

uNi
While I do the research into how to access my ubuntu system using putty, I wanted to point out another observation I've had. At the moment the screen freezes, the hdd activity light goes from flashing to completely off and it stays off.
I tried accessing the XBMCbuntu pc using putty and it wouldn't connect. I'm assuming it may be an issue with the hard drive turning off.
on the machine itself press ctrl+alt+F1 or F2 and login into machine this way to run terminal commands and edit files like advancedsettings.xml needed to enable xbmc debug.

I cant comment on why you cant connect via putty because it could be many reasons

You could be using wrong IP and login credentials via putty
The openssh server is not installed or running.

uNi

(2012-12-16, 22:00)uNiversal Wrote: on the machine itself press ctrl+alt+F1 or F2 and login into machine this way to run terminal commands and edit files like advancedsettings.xml needed to enable xbmc debug.

Thanks for that.... I wasn't able to do it AFTER the screen froze, but I kept on tapping ctrl+alt+F1 as the machine was booting up and it took me to (pardon my limited knowledge) a command prompt. I've left that on the screen and now I'm able to log in with putty. So I'll be following the directions in the previously mentioned troubleshooting guide and will post a log shortly.

I tried to run a debug log, but I get the following text

"--bash: /home/home/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log: permission denied"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Screen with immobile cursor in center0