Linux Black Screen with immobile cursor in center
with nomodeset, don't get a hard-lock anymore, but stuck at the XBMC splash screen. Also can't switch to any other terminal sessions - BUT, SSH works, so poking around to see what's up.
Another one here with same issue.... ugh
a shot in the dark: try disabling rc6:

add "i915_enable_rc6=0" to the kernel command line on boot

or in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.i915_enable_rc6=0"
I'm currently trying the minimal install instead of xbmcbuntu, with pretty much same results. Adding i915_enable_rc6=0 and then doing update-grub had no effect, however with the minimal install, I can get into XBMC with nomodeset. Its just slow :/

Looks like some sort of driver issue in regards to Sandy Bridge I'm guessing, so I'm going to mess around with that for a bit.
FYI.. I tried to run XBMC off the boot CD, and got the exact same problem. So not specific to the installed version.
Okay... did the following:

sudo apt-get install pastebinit -y
cat $HOME/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

File is empty. Did I forget something? I also added "<loglevel hide="false">2</loglevel>" to the advancedsettings.xml file
This sounds a bit like the problem I had on my Sandy Bridge system. Are you really sure is has nothing to do with rc6? Mine had/has, see bug report here:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54964 [snb rc6 regression] RC6 black screen / freeze on autologin
Well I guess one of you can try to install a newer kernel that has those fixes and other improvemnets.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

drm-intel-next or something.

uNi
I'd still like to have some confirmation that its related to rc6, because it works for me on ivy bridge
I've tried a few mainline kernels yesterday as well, and disabling RC6 had no effect, nor did installing other intel drivers. I haven't messed with it much today, as I've gone back to 11, then did changed the XBMC PPA to get to Frodo - I wanted to watch movies today, not mess with the box Wink

If I have time, I'll mess around with it some more the next couple days.
(2012-12-28, 21:30)wsnipex Wrote: a shot in the dark: try disabling rc6:

or in /etc/default/grub

This worked for me. Specifically, appending "i915.i915_enable_rc6=0" in /etc/default/grub (and then running sudo update-grub). Looks like RC6 has had issues with Sandy, so it makes sense.

I'm on an i3 2105 running the intel graphics.

(2012-12-31, 01:32)ryanferg Wrote:

or in /etc/default/grub

This worked for me. Specifically, appending "i915.i915_enable_rc6=0" in /etc/default/grub (and then running sudo update-grub). Looks like RC6 has had issues with Sandy, so it makes sense.

That did the trick for me too on my Zotac Zbox-ID82
If you don't want to disable RC6 (because if you do, your HTPC consumes ~10W more power - at least in my case), you could try also a workaround that I discovered. I documented it in the issue I posted in #37 in this thread (link).

In short:

Like many other users here, i use a custom minimal install of ubuntu to run my HTPC. I didn't install any GUIs/window managers (like KDE, Gnome, Unitiy etc) because XBMC doesn't need this.

Till Ubuntu 12.04, i started XBMC after the start of X via some lines in ~/.xsession. X itself is started via a *.conf file in /etc/init. That worked perfectly (with RC6 enabled) until I upgraded to 12.10 (where RC6 is also enabled by default). After the upgrade, my PC froze after startup only with a white cursor in front of a back screen (as described in this thread).

So what has changed? Obviously its not XBMCs fault because its the same like before the upgrade. After many hours of try and error I found out that this only happens if XBMC is immediatly started after X. Now comes the weird part:

If XBMC was started from within a running windowmanager my PC didn't froze even with RC6 enabled. Wtf? But it's like that, don't ask why. This means:

If you want to have RC6 enabled in Ubuntu 12.10 on some Intel Sandy Bridge systems with XBMC running, you have to install a window manager in 12.10 (preferable a very small one like openbox - i use it) and start XBMC from within a running openbox session. Its quite simple to tell openbox what to autostart after it is started. Just google a bit.

Its an ugly workaround, but for me, it works. I don't care if XBMC is started from X or from a windows manager within X. If this also works for someone, plz append a bugreport to this ticket for the intel dev guys so that this issue gets more attention (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54964).

(2012-12-31, 16:30)Nox71 Wrote:
(2012-12-31, 01:32)ryanferg Wrote:

or in /etc/default/grub

That did the trick for me too on my Zotac Zbox-ID82

Worked here as well.
i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 worked for me, second time around. Must have had a typo or something when I tried it originally. This is with a minimalist install of 12.10 with the 3.7.1 kernel.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Screen with immobile cursor in center0