• 13(current)
Post your setup pictures: the Next Generation
(2013-03-27, 13:14)tcman47 Wrote: Image
If you mount your 52" on the wall with "VideoSecu TV Wall Mount for most 32"- 65"", you willl have more room on your TV stand for center speaker, remotes and decoration items......it allow you to tilt/pull the TV left/right/up/down/front too, and it took me less than 30mins per TV to mount my TV's on the wall.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-03-27, 16:52)bluray Wrote:
(2013-03-27, 13:14)tcman47 Wrote: Image
If you mount your 52" on the wall with "VideoSecu TV Wall Mount for most 32"- 65"", you willl have more room on your TV stand for center speaker, remotes and decoration items......it allow you to tilt/pull the TV left/right/up/down/front too, and it took me less than 30mins per TV to mount my TV's on the wall.....

yeah, i know, this however has to a mobile setup, cant be mounting stuff to walls, will be moving in about two weeks, before this setup which has been up for only about two weeks, everything was in a huge oak entertainment center the size of a small truck, lol.
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
Thanks a lot for all comments, PMs, questions and inspiration for future modifications, I really appreciate it! I'll try to give an answer to all in this post, using photos to better illustrate the various bits and pieces.

First of all, my Home Theater is not by far the largest room in the house, it measures 5m by 4m, 20 sqm total. Ceiling height is 245cm, except for one rear corner (this is due to a level difference in the floor between the two living rooms one floor up). The rear and left walls are wood, the front and right walls, as well as both the floor and the ceiling, are concrete. Hot water is running in the floor.

Being happily married (we've got 2 kids), I needed to compromise with "the boss". But looking at the end result, I guess all the wife friendly stuff; a white sofa, white ceiling, white ceiling mounted speakers and even a white projector is a small price to pay for "black box city" in front with the 280 cm wide 120" screen 3 meters in front of you Tongue

As you can see from this photo, I live down by the sea, facing west. Needless to say, the sunlight can be rather annoying (especially in the summer when the bloody thing never sets!) so I use 2 different layers of sunscreen to keep the room dark. And, as someone commented, one could of course also enjoy the scenery while listening to music.

Bass. I love bass. I guess my setup kinda gave that away...? (you should see my car, hehe) The three 15" Active subs with 500 W amps each gives just enough punch to make me worry about the windows (the one that can be opened rattles a lot even after some modification). I picked up the Scarface painting in Thailand, and had it framed upon arriving back home.

The white ceiling mounted speakers are truly awesome, and I got them dead cheap! The seating is quite nice, with individual motors for each seat, and lots of storage room in between.

The only two lamps in the room, the dimmer is just inside the door. I am looking at a way to remotely control it from the sofa, any ideas? The Pulp Fiction painting is made by the same Thai guy as the Scarface painting. We shared the same taste in movies, half a world away! In the ceiling you can see the level difference from the living room floor upstairs.

(cont'd)

Black Box City Cool From Left: A regular computer (I used it as HTPC earlier), Center speaker, Xtreamer Ultra2 Deluxe HTPC (standing), Pioneer SC-LX86, Pioneer BDP-LX55, some docking stations for remotes & keyboards, below: Yes, a VHS player (Panasonic NV-HD680), Digital Cable-TV STB and a Yamaha DVD-S550. Below the Centre Speaker I have a PS2 and XBOX360 whenever my 10 year old son allows..

Top shelf: NAS and external USB drives (2 x 3 TB USB3-drives were "on vacation" when this photo was taken). Bottom: A regular PC running the Linux IPCop Firewall, and separate UPS's for the NAS's.

How it's all connected.
(2013-03-28, 01:34)ToreBK Wrote: Image
Out of all your photos, the subs caught my eyes the most. How are you able to get permission from your boss (Mrs.) to have all those subs in there? I used to have 3 massive 70lbs HSU subs in my previous home theater. After 5 kids later, I managed to get permission from my boss for only two smaller 12" subs at the new house. I listen to music more than watching movie, and I enjoy bass more than anything else in home theater......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-03-26, 17:34)sapper6fd Wrote:
(2013-03-16, 04:52)MaxCore Wrote:
(2013-03-16, 01:46)ToreBK Wrote: So many awesome setups here, I'm droolin' Tongue My XBMC Home Theatre and 60 TB servers

sickkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I look at this setup and have two thoughts that run across my mind.

1) "I WANT!!!!!!"
2) "I wouldnt want his bill for failed drives"

20 drives across those three NAS devices. The way drives tend to fail today, I'm guessing he has 2 or 3 at minimum that go every year. The cost involved in replacing them (in my opinion) would outweigh the needs for such a setup unless he is extremely rich (and I'm guessing he is based on the speaker setup and the stellar view of the ocean) or hes making a profit off it to cover costs. Lets say the drives hes using are $100 a piece. at 3 failures a year (after warranty) that's $300 to replace just so there isn't a need to put a disk in a blu-ray player. Don't get me wrong - I have my own NAS setup with 6TB of space across 3 drives in RAID 5 (so its actually only 3.7 TB usable) but I cant see the justification for such a large expense to save 20 seconds of time.

Props to him though on such a great setup!

What makes you think he's loosing 2-3 drives per year minimum?
I've had at least 16 drives in my set up for the last 3-4 years. Currently running 22 drives. The amount of drives I have had to replace??

None (knocks on wood)
in one of his earlier posts he says he lost 5 drives out of 20 within the first month. That's a 25% failure rate.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
That's a lot. Bad batch maybe?
(2013-03-28, 01:34)ToreBK Wrote: The only two lamps in the room, the dimmer is just inside the door. I am looking at a way to remotely control it from the sofa, any ideas?

Nexa @Clas Ohlson

And don't forget the Tellstick.

And a question... You got 3 NAS and 3 fileservers?
Are you hosting Gmail in Norway? Huh

Edit: Saw this now, so if you buy a Tellstick you can control it from XBMC: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143070
As posted in this QNAP Forum Thread, I think it was bad handling during shipping that caused 5 of the drives to fail. All my NAS are running smoothly now, all set in RAID10 configuration, allowing up to 50% failure before I lose the data. I would hate to have to rip all those movies again, it took the whole family a week to finish it last time. I have 2 new (tested and confirmed ok) disks stored in a closed for quick replacement should any of the disks in the NAS fail. WDC Red 3 TB comes with a 3 year warranty, so I do not lose any sleep over it.

My biggest concern is how to prevent the ever increasing media database from slowing down XBMC with the constant scans and library updates, and I'm concidering setting up one of the NAS to act as a MySQL server as I have several XBMC clients around the house. Using a MySQL library allows you to store information about your whole video library in a central database, so that multiple XBMC devices can access the same information at the same time. This gives you the ability to do things like:

1) Share watched and unwatched status for your media on all devices
2) Stop watching a movie or TV show in one room then finish watching it in another room automatically
3) Only one library to maintain for all devices
Yup ToreBK, go for MySQL, got a qnap here (contemplating a 2nd), 2 ATV2's and a Pi, all configured to use the central dB - works great and dead easy to set up...
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
You could use 'Library Watchdog' addon on all machines to update whenever new content is added.

I use a MySQL library. I think it is the way to go at the moment.
I host it on my main HTPC mainly because I wanted the fastest experience possible on the main machine but still get the added benefits of a shared database.
I have the XBMC install, XBMC userdata and the MySQL database located on a 4GB RAM disk for added speed. It's way faster than an SSD.
MySQL database on RAM, how did you do that ?
@castotray - lotsa options for diff OS's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAM_drive_software
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-12-18, 18:07)y2adre Wrote: how do u post pics?

Same problem here Rolleyes
(2013-01-28, 14:23)castortray Wrote:
(2013-01-27, 07:31)kompiler Wrote: System Setup
  • Epson TW6000W Projector
  • 120" Motorized Remote Screen
  • Yamaha RX-V571 7.1 1080p upscaling Receiver
  • Yamaha NS-50F Floor-standing speakers
  • Yamaha NS-C55 Centre speaker
  • Yamaha NS-E56 Satellite speakers
  • Yamaha YST-SW216 Subwoofer
  • Samsung BD-6900D BluRay Player/Tuner
  • Dell Optiplex 755 (Q6600 quad core/4Gb memory, ATI 6570 video card) running XBMC - Frodo RC3
  • 4 seat leather incliner home theatre couch

nice setup Smile

can ypu pls write more details about "120" Motorized Remote Screen" ? model etc,

thanks in advance

Completely agree
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Post your setup pictures: the Next Generation2