Android Works like a dream!
All of the programmers outdid themselves on this RC2 build.

Just got an MK808 with the RK3066 Dual Core 1.6 (Cortex-A9) with DDR3-1GB and 8 GB of Flash memory. Because the wireless at the back of the house doesn't reach to where the device is...am running a Plugable USB Ethernet adapter through a powered USB 2.0 hub. Everything on the device and hooked to it works...except for the RC6 Windows Media Center remote. Know all of you are working on it...so no big deal. Tomorrow...will be getting a wireless keyboard/mouse locally to be able to control it. Right now...all I have is an old keyboard and non-optical mouse hooked through a PS/2 to USB connector.

Have installed all my plugins...they work like they always do. Am streaming "Absolute Radio" with the ListenLiveEU plugin. Was watching "The Big Bang Theory" from the media center through the DLNA server. After that...watched the first 10 minutes of "A View to a Kill" from the same DLNA server. Everything I've run on this device runs as well as it does on the Windows machines we use for XBMC. The only thing I have not tried is my externally powered DVD drive...but that's for another day.

Again...you all did a fantastic job! Looking forward to the full version of Frodo for Android.

Hi, Great that it works with the MK808 since I was considering buying one for myself. I hope you can answer some questions:
-Since the MK808 runs on Android 4.1 I guess that you have rooted your device and installed some custom ROM. Where did you find the instructions/files for that?
-Does it work with 1080p mkv's?
-Have you tried stream from a NAS? All experiences is appreciated.

I hope you have time to answer the questions Smile Thanks.
//PS
(2012-12-28, 17:15)BlueCow Wrote: Hi, Great that it works with the MK808 since I was considering buying one for myself. I hope you can answer some questions:
-Since the MK808 runs on Android 4.1 I guess that you have rooted your device and installed some custom ROM. Where did you find the instructions/files for that?

No rooting required to install XBMC. Just opened up the browser on the desktop...pointed it to the XBMC.org page...downloaded and installed the program. As for rooting...I found some videos on You Tube which has someone who has done this. Myself...bought this to experiment with to see if I can get it setup and sell as an alternative for a "smart" TV. This being the case...rooting the device is more trouble than it's worth to get a few bells and whistles I can't use from inside of XBMC.

Originally...I was going to get a Raspberry Pi to do this with. With the lead time to get one and the total cost...found these devices were more cost effective and available without several months of waiting that may never have a device arrive.

Quote:-Does it work with 1080p mkv's?

All I've got on my media server is old AVI and MP4 (H.264) SD videos I've recorded with an analog TV Tuner card and some DVD rips. 1080p is nice...but since the only video device we have in the house is 720p...no biggie. Plus...it saves space on our drives and looks decent enough for us to enjoy. Right now...the hardware video decoding isn't working in the Android version...so the video decoding is being doing by software and looks VERY ugly.

Quote:-Have you tried stream from a NAS? All experiences is appreciated.

Our setup is 5 2TB drives in an external cage running under Windows 7-64 with RAID 5. Being SD...we have no problem streaming anything to a netbook in the living room with Windows 7 and a Samsung Blu-Ray player running off of a Serviio DLNA server. In my room...I have an old P4 single-core running NextPVR and XBMC. Until I can get in my wireless mouse controller next week...will be running this PC for XBMC to be able to run with my Windows Media Center RC. After the version comes out of RC status...am keeping my fingers crossed the programmers will add Media Center RC support to the Android version...as well as hardware video decoding. Once this happens...these devices will fly off the shelves.

Quote:I hope you have time to answer the questions Smile Thanks.

No problem at all. Sorry I couldn't answer your question about MKV's...but I find I get better mileage around here with H.264. On You Tube...do a search for Somecooltech1 to see what he's done with these devices. This will give you an idea on what is possible right now with XBMC and what the future should look like.
Big thanks for quick reply!
(2012-12-29, 10:55)BlueCow Wrote: Big thanks for quick reply!

No problem.

On the other hand...I have found some more information I didn't have before. Actually found a new ROM yesterday with new toys and features from FreakTab.com labeled 1.6. Installed it earlier today and my 808 seems to be running faster. The author

Do have a slight issue since installing the new ROM. Seems like I can run SD video for about an hour and a half or so and it kicks me out of XBMC. The cover is warm...but not hot and is on a wire...not wireless.
Does it work properly playing HD Video?
(2013-01-02, 05:35)joelbaby Wrote: Does it work properly playing HD Video?

I have an Acer Iconia A110 and HD video stutters a bit. However, if I use MX Player, the content plays fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Works like a dream!0