58yo NOOB having xbmc installing and running problems
Hi Frank,

sorry, am a bit busy at present.

It's funny although you recovered your PC to its delivery condition that still devices are not installed...

As you refer to USB devices, at first one would need to know which CPU generation you have on your PC:

SandyBridge:
  • CPU name like Core i5-2400
  • Chipset: Intel Generation 6 (probably H67 Express)
  • USB 3.0 (blue ports): 3rd-party chipset

IvyBridge:
  • CPU name like Core i5-3450
  • Chipset: Intel Generation 7 (probably H77 Express)
  • USB 3.0: integrated into chipset

So if you found out which CPU you have (right-click on 'Computer'-symbol, 'Properties'), there already are a few fail-safe proposals concerning driver updates:

1. first go to Intel.com and search for the corresponding chipset drivers - this can be done the easiest way there by choosing 'Desktop boards' as criteria, because you than are directly asked for the chipset generation, and now you can choose any board that uses your chipset
  2. when you are presented the findings, filter for your OS and then download 'Intel Chipset Device Software'
  3. you might also download the most recent Rapid Storage Technology Driver (SATA drivers)
  4. download the Intel USB 3.0 driver ONLY if you are on generation 7 chipset
  5. if you are on generation 6 chipset, you need to download the correct USB 3.0 drivers from Acer.co.uk
  6. (you could of course download everything from the Acer site, but as you see, most drivers there are quite outdated, so you'd better use the more up to date drivers from Intel itself)
  7. now visit AMD.com and download the latest driver for your graphics card

After you have downloaded all drivers mentioned above, you should start installing them in the order you downloaded them, meaning:
  1. install chipset drivers and reboot, check device manager for changes
  2. install sata drivers, reboot and check dev-mgr again
  3. install USB 3.0 drivers, reboot and check again
  4. at last install the gfx drivers and again, reboot and check dev-mgr

If all these drivers are installed and your problems persist, you could also still try to update sound drivers, but after all: as your system is more a gaming-machine than a htpc, it should run XBMC as smooth as butter...

Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Hi Fry,
thx for using your valuable time for this Noob ,;:=))
I will go through your list, not a lot of time for it right now but will asap.

Yeasterday..could not let go of the problem, so it got me behind the pc once more, what did I do.

I uninstalled XBMC completely ( together with my son who knows just a bit more than I do, but is not a pro )
We even found "hiddenfiles" that we did not see in the regular files after we did %appdata%
these we removed too.
Then out of curiosity we installed XBMC11 wich we though is stable and will run ok.
Well it did, most of the time I have no problems ( made a big debug log, if you want to see it I can post it on dropbox or so)
most of the applications are working perfectly, unless they have to go and search for a file on the hard drive, oh by the way, I forgot to mention that right now all my files are on a portable HDD, so I can imagine that it takes more time to acces this drive to capture the requested files, even after some freezing it will pop up and then you can do whatever you want withing this file ( for example movies, pictures etc) it pops up immediatly.
The moment you want to go somewhere else in the startingpage of XBMC you might have a freeze, of if you are into a folder lets say music and you pushe the files button, you have a freeze too, after a while it julmps up again, but overaal the program works.
Now I have to admit something else.

you are right , in reinstalling the pc with the recovery disks, to a vergin state, I have seemd to overlooked making a drivers dvd backup...I read the revovery cd setup, but probpably did not read one has to make a drivers cd backup too.
now after looking how and why after your last answer, I ran into the program where it asks you to make a recovery cd, and right beneath it stood an icon to make a drivers dvd...which I did now,.
So I might be attemted to rund these drivers now and see if this changes anything as I understand these would or could be the latest drivers added by ACER

As you stated, I myself think too that this PC is a bit overkill for my use, but I play a lot with programs like photoshop, and I did not want a pc anymore that froze while working in these programs or be very slow..so for the next years to come I still have a nice toy, that if I get XBMC starts to function for me, will be my home theater too ( currently connected with HDMI to TV station etc)

I will install Dropbox again and send the logfile from running XBMC and put the link here if that is ok?

Thanks again !
Kindly
Frank

@Fry pls check PM
@ozonob: just did and replied... Smile
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Hi folks...long time and back again, just to give you all some feedback:
the problem has been solved, and it had nothing to do with XBMC

I have brought back the PC to the shop and Acer installed a new Hard drive and cardreader
Now XBMC is flashing with a speed like never before.
Thank you for all your support and trying to help me out.

Kind regards
Frank
Thanks for reporting back with your update!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
58yo NOOB having xbmc installing and running problems1