Android android-webkit integration into xbmc-android
Hi folks,
Does anyone consider integrating android-webkit into xbmc-android? Here the integration means:
(1) Embeds web page(html5 web app) on a part of a xbmc window area
(2) Pop up web page(html5 web app) on top of the full-screen video playback, for example, pop up facebook page when playback video in order to share your opinions with your friends.
(3) ......

any instruction is appreciated!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=25 discuss "Web Browser integrated into XBMC". This thread is talking about web browser integration, But not specific to xbmc-android.
That's the same thing. If it's integrated it should be cross platform and not android alone.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-12-31, 04:22)Martijn Wrote: That's the same thing. If it's integrated it should be cross platform and not android alone.
Thank you for the reply!
So team-xbmc still does not plan to integrate webkit?
We are planning to integrate our web browser(webkit based, will be open-source in the end) into xbmc in the following months.
So we really appreciate instructions, and welcome disscussions about this.
You talked about android-webkit. We need cross platform
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-01-01, 13:11)Martijn Wrote: You talked about android-webkit. We need cross platform

Since we are doing our work on android platform ATM, we are thinking of porting our web-browser to android and integrate it first.
Although the integration is for android ATM, but it also can be cross-platform if do further job.
(we are also thinking of integrating google's android-webkit on xbmc-android, but not necessarily to do so. We prefer to integrate our web-browser.)
Integrating a browser in XBMC on android is silly, XBMC can launch out any existing browser and there you go, a browser. Quit the browser and you are back into XBMC like magic.
magic = Programs\Android Apps\<browser>
(2013-01-01, 19:38)davilla Wrote: Integrating a browser in XBMC on android is silly, XBMC can launch out any existing browser and there you go, a browser. Quit the browser and you are back into XBMC like magic.
Yes, XBMC can launch out existing browser like google android browser, but:
(1) If I want to embed some web content(for example, visit twitter or display online discussions about one movie) in a small area which is part of a XBMC window, Or if I want to embed some web content on the full-screen player(similar to BOXEE's "share" functionality in it's player), then I have to integrate a web browser.
(2) The existing browser(like android browser) is not much tweaked to TV. If I integrate web page into XBMC window and control the web browser through XBMC's guilib, it will be great.
(3) If I want to encapsulate xbmc's API(for example, xbmcplugin.setContent) to JS API, and visit this JS API through web page, it seems that I have to integrate one web browser.

Correct me if I am wrong, thanks a lot!

adding support for a browser into XBMC is a very difficult project. That's why it is not there now and there have been at least two attempts to do it. Both failed due to platform support issues.
(2013-01-02, 17:38)davilla Wrote: adding support for a browser into XBMC is a very difficult project. That's why it is not there now and there have been at least two attempts to do it. Both failed due to platform support issues.

I have read "http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=25" carefully and realize that it must be very difficult, but I don't know how difficult it is.
Would you please tell me where the challenges(including "platform support issues" you mentioned) are? We don't expect to get all things done in a few months, we can do it step by step.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
android-webkit integration into xbmc-android0