Minimalistic 5.1 amplifier - Does it exist?
.. a 5.1 amplifier with just 1 HDMI input, a volume button and a remote control?

No need for FM radio, DSP, inputs for DVD/CD/BluRay, etc. I only need to connect my XBMC HTPC Cool

So far I haven't been able to find anything that comes close. If you have a 5.1 speaker set, you can only choose from very extensive AV receivers. Receivers offer a million options which I don't need but you do pay for it.

Any ideas?

You'll be hard pushed to find such a thing. Features sell amps... Who else would want such a limited device (well.. other than me!)
You are likely much better off with a decent, even if basic stereo amplifier (which can be bought second hand for pennies, should you not have one) than a crappy 5.1 amp, if you even find one. Amazon sells some cheap 5.1 HDMI amps from Auna, like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AV2-H5Amp-Surrou...375&sr=1-7
But as you might expect, from all user accounts they are rubbish.

A better option is looking for second hand stuff. I recently bought a not so crappy Yamaha RX-V367, which has 4 HDMI inputs (1.4, so 3D ready), and all bells and whistles I could possibly wish for, and I paid barely over 100 euro for it on ebay, its in mint condition. Its not a powerhouse that will blow the windows from my house, but Im rather impressed with the sound quality and usability. So much in fact, Im now buying another one for a neighbour for about the same price.
I was thinking of one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-X-100-Watt-6-O...51a0972fd4

Do all the audio processing in the HTPC then send out for amplification.
VSX-S300

one of these - beautiful slim little amp.
(2013-01-11, 01:27)heemid17 Wrote: I was thinking of one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-X-100-Watt-6-O...51a0972fd4

Do all the audio processing in the HTPC then send out for amplification.

I built something very similar based on Tripath chips - its an option - but by the time you fork out for a nice chassis, some nice aluminium knobs, a power supply, binding posts, rca inputs, hifi quality ALPS volume pot - input selector etc etc it ends up being a more expensive endeavor than you'd imagine.

Unfortunately I'm not so good with soldering and circuit boards Smile

Another option would be to connect the pc to a power amp, but what if Windows decides to reset the volume level to 100%..

I remember MSI once offered a mainboard that came with an amplifier pci card. Would be cool to have just one device.

I'm happy with my speakers, otherwise I would have bought an active speaker set.
ditto. Surprised there isnt more options out there on the web. As small form solid state computers and tech outputting digital audio hits the market I'd of thought others would want this. I wish there was an amp i could put in line between the HTPC and the speakers that listened for input (CEC?) switched on and off and increased /decreased the volume itself and hence wouldnt require yet another remote control.

I have a surround sound system but it is 5 years old and only gives output when playing a DVD. The only input I can use for the HTPC / tv is a 3.5mm stereo input which when used doesnt use the back speakers. Just fished speaker wire around the living room for the speakers but 90% of the time they aren't all used.

Anybody found anything they recommend?
The Marantz NR1504 & NR1605 are the other options for a slim line AVR.
What kind of HTPC hardware are you running? Although not too many posts I find this is an interesting topic, but it's difficult to suggest possible options when nobody has given much of an idea what kind of hardware they're working with. As far as I can tell though if we're starting from the end of an HDMI cable there are zero options for a worthwhile bare bones receiver.
I run a 5 year old ASRock ION 330 the specs of which are: http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.as...=ION%20330. This is connected via 3.5mm to a 5 year old LG 5.1 surround sound receiver the model of which i dont recall as im not at home at present but it was part of the TV purchase and wasn't anything fancy/expensive although it works fine for what it does. The speakers are fine its just the fact I have to put everything through the 3.5mm input and use a seperate remote that bugs me. I have Openelec installed presently but who knows what will run on it in the future.

Although I would like to get something that can be used with anything with a digital (optical / HDMI) sound so ARM android boards / Rasp Pi / windows PC / TV etc.
(2014-08-07, 15:04)mrbougles Wrote: I run a 5 year old ASRock ION 330 the specs of which are: http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.as...=ION%20330. This is connected via 3.5mm to a 5 year old LG 5.1 surround sound receiver the model of which i dont recall as im not at home at present but it was part of the TV purchase and wasn't anything fancy/expensive although it works fine for what it does. The speakers are fine its just the fact I have to put everything through the 3.5mm input and use a seperate remote that bugs me. I have Openelec installed presently but who knows what will run on it in the future.

Although I would like to get something that can be used with anything with a digital (optical / HDMI) sound so ARM android boards / Rasp Pi / windows PC / TV etc.

Any reason to not go via optical or hdmi from the ion to receiver? Are these not supported on one end or the other?

edit: This doesn't really apply to your setup but I was having a poke around and wondered if there might be such a thing as standalone 5.1 DACs, it looks like they do exist (although not sure how good they are) - this would give OP the one input with outputs to amp(s) of choice
(2014-08-07, 15:28)nevillebartos Wrote:
(2014-08-07, 15:04)mrbougles Wrote: I run a 5 year old ASRock ION 330 the specs of which are: http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.as...=ION%20330. This is connected via 3.5mm to a 5 year old LG 5.1 surround sound receiver the model of which i dont recall as im not at home at present but it was part of the TV purchase and wasn't anything fancy/expensive although it works fine for what it does. The speakers are fine its just the fact I have to put everything through the 3.5mm input and use a seperate remote that bugs me. I have Openelec installed presently but who knows what will run on it in the future.

Any reason to not go via optical or hdmi from the ion to receiver? Are these not supported on one end or the other?

edit: This doesn't really apply to your setup but I was having a poke around and wondered if there might be such a thing as standalone 5.1 DACs, it looks like they do exist (although not sure how good they are) - this would give OP the one input with outputs to amp(s) of choice

The receiver only has a stereo in (2 cables each 3.5mm i think) and a 3.5mm headphone jack in. I will look in to the DAC's but i think that with the current receiver 5.1 is not going to happen for anything other than if and when i use it as a dvd player (frustrating as it must have the capability to output 5.1 but doesn't have any inputs for 5.1).

I realise that I could just buy another surround system but as aussiefries suggested a more minimalistic device would be preferred as this could be cheaper it would be easier to sell to the wife. I just need 1 decent input option and speaker wire output and an on/off switch - ideally volume could be handled by the HDMI. I don't need millions of options.

Heemid17's suggestion of http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-X-100-Watt-6-O...51a0972fd4 looks interesting and affordable but not 100% sure of suitability. I will need to investigate this.
ahh ok I see what type of receiver we're talking about, could be time for replacement by the sounds of things..

The thing with that amp Heemid17 suggested is all it will do is amplify an analog signal. This could work if the sound card on your box is the type that has 5.1 out via 3.5mm plugs - you could use 3.5mm to RCA cables to go into an amp like that and output from there to speakers. In this case volume would be controlled by the software. This setup however would not allow you to go in from devices with digital only out such as RPi - if those external 5.1 DACs are any good that would be your middle man.

The result I guess is a sub $100 5.1 'receiver' / amp setup which may or may not sound any good. My experience with little amps boards like that has been limited to the realm of highly power efficient $20 stereo boards which I've used in boombox modifications and the like with some surprisingly good results, so I would be interested to see what can be achieved with a surround setup.

There's a bit more to it though so some investigation will definitely go a long way.
(2013-01-11, 01:27)heemid17 Wrote: Do all the audio processing in the HTPC then send out for amplification.
That can be a little dangerous for a couple of reasons.

1) If something can change the volume of your HTPC behind your back like a game or application you could find yourself with extremely loud audio coming out your speakers.
2) If there's a turn-on or turn-off thump in the analog outputs of the HTPC you could potentially damage something after pushing it through a high gain amplifier.
(2014-08-08, 03:24)Stereodude Wrote:
(2013-01-11, 01:27)heemid17 Wrote: Do all the audio processing in the HTPC then send out for amplification.
That can be a little dangerous for a couple of reasons.

1) If something can change the volume of your HTPC behind your back like a game or application you could find yourself with extremely loud audio coming out your speakers.
2) If there's a turn-on or turn-off thump in the analog outputs of the HTPC you could potentially damage something after pushing it through a high gain amplifier.

I wouldn't worry about that at all. People do this all the time, and what you're describing is almost any setup that isn't using passthrough. Set the gain structure in a sane manner so that in the event the HTPC maxes out the input you don't hurt anything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimalistic 5.1 amplifier - Does it exist?0