Win A10-5800K and GD04 new HTPC build...Opinions?
Hi,

My project is to replace my existing HTPC (Zotac) and the PS3 with one gaming HTPC.
My main activity with this PC will be HD content playback and some occasional gaming. Imagine that with the PS3, I only played Fifa, Resident Evil and Uncharted with mates. Only coop games.
The resolution should be 1080p.

After reading these posts and searching the web, I have placed an order for the following parts:

A10-5800K
Silverstone GD04
Kingston Hyper X Beast 8GB DDR3 Non ECC CL11 2133MHz (KHX21C11T3K2/8X) (Kit 2 x 4096)
Asus Socket FM2 F2A85-M LE GLan Audio Raid
Corsair CX430W Modular
ssd and bdrom already have them from another pc.

Later I might add a used 7770 or 7850 if I need more gaming.

My main questions are
1) whether all these will fit in this case
2) what if any problems might I encounter
3) whether heat is going to be a problem and I should choose the A10-5700

thx

Yannis
Firstly, you say you have ordered the parts? If so isn't it too late to change?

1. Yes they will fit
2. You shouldn't have any issues
3. For a HTPC the 5700 is always going to be better than the 5800. Nearly no difference in performance and much lower heat.

If you can change... while the AMD A10 is the best IGP on the market it won't let you run games at 1080p at decent settings / FPS. If you want gaming at that res you will need either the 7770 or 7850. If you are going to put in a discrete video card you are better off going to an intel CPU of the same price as the intels are faster in everything except IGP.

Thank you for reply!

Initially I had the dilemma Intel vs AMD, but the truth is that gaming is not my top priority. As I said in my initial post, PS3 was not often used and HD content and music playback will be the main activities.
Now later in the path I might install Fifa or another game just to play with a mate. I will try the 720p and see how it works. If gaming becomes more important I might add a 7850 card just to be able to game in 1080p.
With AMD at least I have the option to game until I find a used 7850. With Intel I would never have this option...

My real dilemma is A10-5700 vs A10-5800K. Although I see no significant differences in reviews, I wouldn't mind having a bit more power if noise is not a problem...
So...this is maybe the last day I can choose between A10-5800K and A10-5700...Shall I keep the 5800 or revert it to 5700 due to noise, heat concerns?
Go the A10-5700 will be much better for heat / noise and makes hardly any difference to performance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A10-5800K and GD04 new HTPC build...Opinions?0