Frodo RC3 - 10.8.2 Powering off screen stops HDMI audio
Memphiz, per your query. When playing iTunes the behaviour is similar to Eden was on Linux. Playback temporarily switches to the mac mini's internal speaker while the receiver adjusts to the TV being turned off. The receiver then perceives that the audio is still coming from the mac mini and re-establishes the playback out through the speakers.

I'd switch back to Eden to test, but is there any risk to my mysql database if I do so?

Bub4 - you're seeing different behaviour with some audio coming through your receiver and some coming through the mac mini's internal speaker. I'd suggest opening a new thread with that (also grab the debug logs for the developers).
I guess the right thing would be to check if the audio device has been invalidated at every playback start, and only reinit if it is found to be so, but I have no idea what such a check would look like, or even if it is possible. It is interesting that I have encountered no other app that loses audio when turning the TV off/on.
Well this others are just way better with coreaudio i guess. But no there is no easy check if a device was "invalidated". I guess the device vanishes during the tv transition and comes back on afterwards. There is no code in xbmc for osx yet to get notifications of those transitions. There is alot of stuff planned when it comes to all those cable pluggers, tv off turners and suspenders. But its a bigger project to get all those possibilities right. For now xbmc works best when used with a screen which is turned on and fullscreened and without any powermanagement stuff. Well thats old school isn't it? But thats exactly how i use it and thats the problem that its not working better for you guys.

Well future will make code better i hope...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I'm guessing that OSX is sending notifications to the applications that the HDMI device is again available (hence, why iTunes is behaving properly).

Memphiz, no power management enabled at all. I have all of that disabled on the mac mini. The only thing I'm doing is turning the TV off when not in use. I'd like it to behave the same as Eden on Linux did - where it doesn't lose the HDMI device when I do that. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask, but I'm sure there's lots of other bugs you fellows have to work on.

Hopefully it'll make it into the Frodo gold release.

Oh, and took the risk and checked. Eden behaves the same way on my system.

XBMC still behaves better than VLC in this scenario though - VLC crashes when you turn the TV off.
...then I got to thinking "Hmm, maybe someone else in the open source community has solved this problem already". Lucked out with the third try.

As noted, VLC crashes. Miro player won't play the audio codecs in my movies (leverages quicktime), but with mp3's, it seems to send the audio to a non-existent device when you turn the TV off.

UMPlayer is the solution to this. http://sourceforge.net/projects/umplayer/

Hopefully they're writing in the same language you fellows are for XBMC - at the very least, you should be able to see what API's they're using - hopefully they're the same.

To clarify - UMPlayer's behaviour (which is the same as XBMC on Linux):

- Audio functional over HDMI
- Turning off TV results in temporary switch to internal audio
- Once receiver detects continued audio availability from mac mini over HDMI, it resumes playback of the HDMI audi (TV is still off)
- Turning TV on results in temporary switch to internal audio
- Once receiver detects continued audio availability from mac mini over HDMI, it resumes playback of the HDMI audi (TV is ON)

This is desired behaviour.
(2013-01-28, 23:54)Ridicule Wrote: Memphiz, per your query. When playing iTunes the behaviour is similar to Eden was on Linux. Playback temporarily switches to the mac mini's internal speaker while the receiver adjusts to the TV being turned off. The receiver then perceives that the audio is still coming from the mac mini and re-establishes the playback out through the speakers.

I'd switch back to Eden to test, but is there any risk to my mysql database if I do so?

Bub4 - you're seeing different behaviour with some audio coming through your receiver and some coming through the mac mini's internal speaker. I'd suggest opening a new thread with that (also grab the debug logs for the developers).

Thanks - I will open a new one as soon as I have all information.

Regarding your problem.
Have you ever considered not to turn off the TV but go in energy save mode - this would blank the display without losing the HDMI signal?
This would temporarily solve your issue maybe...?
It works properly for me...

Edit: Sorry if it is a stupid idea, but sometimes stupid is most effective Smile Maye your TV has such saving modes
Yes, my TV has such power saving modes. No, that isn't a viable option. You're also making an assumption that the TV would leave the HDMI signal active when in power saving mode.

I already have a workaround (restart XBMC) - I'm hoping we can get this problem fixed. Smile (and, seeing as how the UMPlayer folks have it working, there's code the XBMC OS X Development team can look at) Smile

Not a stupid idea, just not a solution to the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.
1. I know what the intended behaviour should be
2. I know how to do it
3. It won't hit frodo
4. I need more time ... :/
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
No worries. I'll just get in the habit of shutting down XBMC when I shutoff the TV. Maybe I'll do a macro to do that and program it into my Harmony remote.

Really appreciate your fellows efforts. Thoroughly enjoy XBMC.
Quote:For now xbmc works best when used with a screen which is turned on and fullscreened and without any powermanagement stuff. Well thats old school isn't it? But thats exactly how i use it and thats the problem that its not working better for you guys.

Yes, I suppose it is "old school", as in a regular desktop app such as VLC, rather than something meant for an HTPC environment. I like to treat it as a real HTPC app that can be running 24/7 (it's the only app I run on this machine), but Frodo simply can't do that if it doesn't allow the TV to turn off or change channels.

Quote:1. I know what the intended behaviour should be
2. I know how to do it
3. It won't hit frodo
4. I need more time ... :/

Good to hear, I'll stop bugging you. It is unfortunate that Frodo was released without a fix. Looking forward to 12.1!
test

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30371861/XBMC-canotify.dmg
Memphiz: So far, it works like a charm. Even restores audio if I turn off the TV while a video is playing, so this not only fixes the regression in Frodo, it fixes the long standing bug. You are a hero!
Memphiz,
I also tried your build and confirm that it fixed the audio issue i've been having (audio goes to internal mac-mini speaker after turning off my TV and does not go back to HDMI when TV is turned on).
Unfortunately this build does not recognize my Pulse-Eight CEC adapter (the "Peripheral" option on the System->Settings->System->Input Devices pages is greyed out). This adapter had been recognized by the official RC3 build as well as by the recently released final build.
It's a pitty that I cannot both HDMI audio and Pulse-Eight adapter working together. Is there a chance to have both these feature to show up in the same build any time soon?
This testbuild of mine is just for testing the HDMI-Audio-TV power off issue. I didn't build all features into it. Once this hits the mainline tree both features will be availale in nightly builds...

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2144
Great! I will keep my eye on the progress of this pull request.
Thanks a lot for fixing this issue, it was bugging me for awhile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo RC3 - 10.8.2 Powering off screen stops HDMI audio0