Alienware X51- the ultimate multipurpose HTPC.....
Added newer photos in the 1st post....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Folks,
I picked up the NUC (i3 version) on the weekend
Installed xbmc over windows7 and Openelec
The machine is fast. But for some reason I am underwhelmed by the video image quality. I can't put my finger on it but something is missing.
Somehow, when I watch the same image on a PS3, it just pops a little more
I wonder if the better GPU could be the reason

Trying to figure out if the x51 with its separate GPU will offer better image quality than the NUC
(2013-03-17, 19:08)atandon Wrote: Trying to figure out if the x51 with its separate GPU will offer better image quality than the NUC
It's hard to say, but different GPU brand have slightly different "Video Quality" setting options in their control panel.......the only way to find out is by trying it out yourself, because my eyes might be different than your......
After adding more furniture and picture frames-

(2013-01-18, 04:56)cosmicr Wrote: even my server runs off 100% silent cooling.

Can you point me in the direction of your setup.

(2013-01-28, 03:16)bluray Wrote: Here are XBMC configs, PassMark and Temps....

Is there a reason why you don't have adjust refresh rate and sync playback?

Also, I thought you mention in your thread, that you should leave "output stereo to all speakers" and "Dobly digital capable" unchecked.
To original poster, I just ordered an x51, do you have the Blu-ray version, does bluray work well with XBMC?
Thanks
Well to answer my own question it works so far. Got my alienware x51 used from amazon. I am not a big fan of Alienware, I had three of their computers when they first started. Tech support was horrible, buch of morons and very rude. But to my surprise I like the x51.. perhaps because they are owned by Dell now they got rid of those people including Eric estrada. Anyways, XBMC works awesome, i am using Aeon Nox and Steam launcher. games look great hooked up to my 60" plasma and blu ray/dvds work fine.. (use anydvdhd) in case anyone is wondering

Well to answer my own question it works so far. Got my alienware x51 used from amazon. I am not a big fan of Alienware, I had three of their computers when they first started. Tech support was horrible, buch of morons and very rude. But to my surprise I like the x51.. perhaps because they are owned by Dell now they got rid of those people including Eric estrada. Anyways, XBMC works awesome, i am using Aeon Nox and Steam launcher. games look great hooked up to my 60" plasma and blu ray/dvds work fine.. (use anydvdhd) in case anyone is wondering
Hey, new x51 owner here, about to connect it to TV set & go wireless too! Smile

One question though, especially to those who balance usage of their HTPCs between gaming, browsing & home theater mode - what about your keyboard and mouse solutions ? I've been researching this topic feverishly for a couple days now as it seems wireless options are slim and a good all-around solution is very hard to find.

For some games you can get away with an XBOX controller, but FPS, strategy games will require a full keyboard and a mouse. For browsing or light working you'd do well with Logitech diNovo Edge, Rapoo 2900, Logitech K400, Adesso WKB-4000US or other keyboards that would have a trackpad as sitting on a couch with a mouse in hand is not optimal. diNovo Mini and similar solutions are great for home theather mode. And yet they all seem to be having some rather major issues here and there, at least the reviewers will lead you to believe this way.

I'm thinking that probably ideal solution could be one of the keyboards with a trackpad (diNovo or Rappoo) + a mouse, whenever you really need it. But there are so many bad reviews for all of the above products, especially from gamers, that I'm just not sure which way to go. Any thoughts ?
(2013-01-18, 04:22)bluray Wrote:
(2013-01-18, 00:08)cosmicr Wrote: Only drawbacks I can see is it would be heavy, pump out a lot of fan noise
I lifted X51 off the table at Best Buy, and it felt about the same weight as my XBOX 360 (X51 is exactly 1.2 lb heavier than XBOX 360). With 90% blu-ray playback, I doubt that I'll ever use the included discrete GPU because it is equipped with NVIDIA's Optimus. With Optimus, I can actually plug my LED TV into the Intel i7-3770 HD4000 IGP's HDMI port and X51 will power down the discrete Nvidia GPU when it's not in use. It'll lower power consumption, heat and noise......reviewers seems to be very impressed with X51 low power consumption and noise level....

So just to clarify because this is exactly what I want to do. You have the x51---- avr------tv. Connected with hdmi cables.
The x51 is outputting video and audio through the onboard hdmi output (not the gpu hdmi output) ,the gpu kicks in when needs be but still outputs through the onboard hdmi output and you're getting perfect 5.1 / 7.1 audio and 1080p video. Correct?
(2013-12-23, 14:47)lego187 Wrote:
(2013-01-18, 04:22)bluray Wrote:
(2013-01-18, 00:08)cosmicr Wrote: Only drawbacks I can see is it would be heavy, pump out a lot of fan noise
I lifted X51 off the table at Best Buy, and it felt about the same weight as my XBOX 360 (X51 is exactly 1.2 lb heavier than XBOX 360). With 90% blu-ray playback, I doubt that I'll ever use the included discrete GPU because it is equipped with NVIDIA's Optimus. With Optimus, I can actually plug my LED TV into the Intel i7-3770 HD4000 IGP's HDMI port and X51 will power down the discrete Nvidia GPU when it's not in use. It'll lower power consumption, heat and noise......reviewers seems to be very impressed with X51 low power consumption and noise level....

So just to clarify because this is exactly what I want to do. You have the x51---- avr------tv. Connected with hdmi cables.
The x51 is outputting video and audio through the onboard hdmi output (not the gpu hdmi output) ,the gpu kicks in when needs be but still outputs through the onboard hdmi output and you're getting perfect 5.1 / 7.1 audio and 1080p video. Correct?
Sorry, I haven't been in here for a very long time. If you want to use Optimus option, you have to use onboard HDMI. If you use external graphic HDMI (from Nvidia card), you'll bypass Intel HD4000. Here is the screen shot of my Optimus-

(2013-01-17, 22:56)RaggSokk3n Wrote: don't know that one specifically but it's dell so service is at least top notch Smile

Dell makes good budget machines... I have an "Alienware" Aurora myself and have no problems. I'd recommend them if you're looking to balance price and quality.

However, the service is outsourced and completely horrible. I could not get them to replace my bad SSD while the machine was still under warranty. They couldn't understand me, I couldn't understand them. I finally gave up after being transferred from person to person in support for weeks, and bought my own replacement SSD. You should never have to do that while your Dell is under warranty.
thats looking nice dude...

where you buy?
amazon or some else..??
(2014-03-03, 09:04)endhot Wrote: thats looking nice dude...

where you buy?
amazon or some else..??
I ordered it directly from Dell, and I got a great deal during the holiday. If you don't want to pay full price for it, you can order it from their outlet store- Alienware X51...
Hey bluray --

I know I'm coming late to this post, but I was wondering if we could use one of your images as the banner image for /r/HTPC on reddit?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alienware X51- the ultimate multipurpose HTPC.....0