MetaData - Local or Remote?
After finally working out XBMC's files and folders structures from the move from MediaBrowser, I am left wondering if it is worth storing the metadata for my movies locally as we did with MB. We currently have a whisker over 1000 movies, which are currently being scanned into the database as I type this post. I hope this will be the last time I have to do this many files.

Firstly, obviously the benefit of storing the metadata locally is to reduce the time it would take XBMC to popular its database library. Am I right in thinking that once it finishes scanning and adding all my movies in that I can export the library and each movie folder will have its own .nfo file that I can import at a future date should things go pear shaped (again!)?

Secondly some of the movies are out of order because their titles are sorted alphabetically, for example Indianna Jones is not shown in the right order. Could I edit the nfo's for these movies to make them sort the way I would prefer (release date) by putting say <sorttitle>Indiana 1</sorttitle>, <sorttitle>Indiana 2</sorttitle>, <sorttitle>Indiana 3</sorttitle>,etc. and then import them back in?

And finally is having the metadata stored locally (as in if the system drive crashed the database could be quickly rebuilt) to remotely downloaded and stored locally in the database?
Bump
Personally, I like to have very clean meta data stored on the file system. For me this means:
-<movie_name>.nfo file scraped from TMDb
-<movie_name>.jpg and tbn poster image
-<movie_name>-fanart.jpg fanart image

This makes it very easy to quickly setup a new xbmc device or rebuild another one. Also, since my file system is on my nas all my meta data is stored with the redundancy benefits.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MetaData - Local or Remote?0