Solved Frodo RC3 crashing on AMD 780G machine
Ok after getting my AMD/Nvidia CD's sorted out I got my Nvidia HTPC up and running.
Now to the AMD machine:
XBMC seems to be crashing right after the splash screen:

See below some details as requested in the 'how to' topic:
FULL Debug Log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1549059/
Linux Distribution and Version: Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal (from live CD)
Architecture: i686
GIT Revision: sorry can't find this as XBMC is not starting...
Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem: just start the live CD?
Backtrace: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1549076/
Well Your problem on this one is you need fglrx-legacy instead of regular fglrx because current driver does not support that older HD3200

Again on the crashlog you have indication of driver issues.

Code:
14:46:19 T:3038340864  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.
14:46:19 T:3038340864  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)
14:46:19 T:3038340864  NOTICE: GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 9.0
14:46:19 T:3038340864  NOTICE: GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = 1.20

Also FYI both crashlogs and bcktrace alwys have a log showing xbmc version just read down! For future reference.

Code:
14:03:52 T:3038308096  NOTICE: Starting XBMC (12.0-RC3 Git:7a6cb7f), Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 12.10 - XBMCbuntu, 3.5.0-21-generic i686). Built on Jan  3 2013

Now for the magical bit.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo xbmc stop
sudo killall X
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1
sudo amdconfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

That theoretically should work I cant test, so your the Guinea pig!

uNi
(2013-01-19, 19:24)uNiversal Wrote: Well Your problem on this one is you need fglrx-legacy instead of regular fglrx because current driver does not support that older HD3200

Again on the crashlog you have indication of driver issues.

Code:
14:46:19 T:3038340864  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.
14:46:19 T:3038340864  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)
14:46:19 T:3038340864  NOTICE: GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 9.0
14:46:19 T:3038340864  NOTICE: GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = 1.20

Thanks! I'm always eager to learn, but how exactly do I determine that i's a driver problem according to those 4 log lines? Because it says VMWare?
I was looking ERROR: lines instead of NOTICE: lines...

(2013-01-19, 19:24)uNiversal Wrote: Also FYI both crashlogs and bcktrace alwys have a log showing xbmc version just read down! For future reference.
Code:
14:03:52 T:3038308096  NOTICE: Starting XBMC (12.0-RC3 Git:7a6cb7f), Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 12.10 - XBMCbuntu, 3.5.0-21-generic i686). Built on Jan  3 2013
I actually saw it after I did the initial post, thanks anyway!

I'm reinstalling as I'm writing this (I had reverted to v11 to see it that worked, which it did, out of the box BTW!).
I'll try your magic and report back :-)
(2013-01-19, 19:24)uNiversal Wrote: Now for the magical bit.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy
sudo xbmc stop
sudo killall X

The apt-get commands went all fine, everything installed without errors.
However when I ran 'sudo killall X' I got 'X: no process found' (note that my monitor turned blank when I ran 'service lightdm stop').
and running 'sudo aticonfig --initial -f' returns 'aticonfig: command not found'.

When i go to /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/ and run 'sudo ./aticonfig --initial -f' I get:
Code:
Unable to open /etc/ati/control, please reinstall the driver.
./aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

I also tried following this guide (chapter 2.1) but got the same result in the end (No supported adapters detected).

Note that when I run 'sudo lspci -vvnn | grep VGA' I get:
Code:
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+ ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780 [Radeon HD 3200] [1002:9610] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+

So it definitely sees the HD3200 adapter.

As I mentioned earlier XBMC live v11 boots fine, no problems.

Any other suggestions?
thanks for your help so far!
Try to

Code:
sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall fglrx-legacy
    sudo xbmc stop  <<this is to ensure X is definitely not running
    sudo killall X    <<this is to ensure X is definitely not running

This downgrade thing as proved an issue with a few ppl. You cant compare V11 cause the drivers back then were compatible now you need the legacy driver.

Perhaps one of the resident ATI experts will come to the aid.

uNi

Are you actually running on vmware? Or is that log line misleading us?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
No I'm running Frodo on a physical machine: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-DS2H motherboard with integrated Radeon HD3200 graphics.
You could try installing the eden xbmcbuntu and updating to frodo via ppa. Then you will have an older fglrx driver that supports your hardware.

Or install ubuntu 12.04 minimal or server and install frodo from ppa.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
OK I give up!
I have been searching non-stop for the last hour and found several variations on your steps and also another guide which explained how to compile the drivers from AMD website, but nothing works, I keep getting aticonfig saying it hasn't found a supported device and XBMC crashing to desktop.

Strange thing is that in this thread the top answer is basically the same as you have provided, only are several people reporting that it works for them, while it doesn't work for me...
@vyruz

I will edit the bram77 script and add the legacy drivers ppa and rip out the other ones and give you the script, so you can try! Hows that?

uNi
(2013-01-20, 00:58)uNiversal Wrote: @vyruz

I will edit the bram77 script and add the legacy drivers ppa and rip out the other ones and give you the script, so you can try! Hows that?

uNi

Sorry I don't know that much about XBMC so bear with me...
As far as I can see the 'bram77' script installs XBMC on top of an Ubuntu minimal install, right?

And If I understand correctly, the problem I have is an incompatibility between the latest AMD driver for my card (12.6), and ubuntu 12.10 which requires xorg 1.13.
If that's true then I would have to install 12.04 LTS minimal and then run that script, correct?

So what changes do you have to make?

PS: Thanks again for being patient with me :-) I really appreciate your help!
Here it is

for a fresh install try out. its a dirty hack but it should work!.... Fingers crossed.
Code:
wget http://pastebin.com/LX2Wu4pf -O intallmyhtpc.sh
bash ./intallmyhtpc.sh

You can have a gander too to ensure its correct anyone?

uNi
(2013-01-20, 01:12)uNiversal Wrote: Here it is

for a fresh install try out. its a dirty hack but it should work!.... Fingers crossed.
Code:
bash ./intallmyhtpc.sh

uNi

Hmm, I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong:
Code:
xbmc-ago@xbmc-ago:~$ bash ./installmyhtpc.sh
./installmyhtpc.sh: line 7: $'\r': command not found
./installmyhtpc.sh: line 43: $'\r': command not found
./installmyhtpc.sh: line 47: $'\r': command not found
./installmyhtpc.sh: line 49: $'\r': command not found
./installmyhtpc.sh: line 51: $'\r': command not found
./installmyhtpc.sh: line 52: syntax error near unexpected token `$'\r''
'/installmyhtpc.sh: line 52: `function showInfo()

I modified the script, only changed the username which is 'xbmc-ago' isntead of xbmc.
Other than that I also downloaded it using this link:
Code:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=LX2Wu4pf
Instead of the normal one because that would output an HTML formatted file.

So what's wrong? Why is it returning an error on every empty line?
Nevermind, found the problem, the file had \r characters inside it, probably due to downloading from pastebin.
I fixed it by running:
Code:
dus2unix installmyhtpc.sh

Running the script now, fingers crossed...
(2013-01-20, 01:12)uNiversal Wrote: Here it is

Code:
bash ./intallmyhtpc.sh

uNi
I know you are a well meaning guy and I know this wouldn't apply to you in that I know you are not a "black hat", but in general I would say to anyone "do not download some random script from pastebin sites and run it on your PC without checking it out!"

I have seen several posts like this on these forums and think, as a concept, it is pretty dodgy way to distribute software (again not pointing at you, just a general observation.)

(2013-01-20, 02:32)nickr Wrote: I know you are a well meaning guy and I know this wouldn't apply to you in that I know you are not a "black hat", but in general I would say to anyone "do not download some random script from pastebin sites and run it on your PC without checking it out!"

I have seen several posts like this on these forums and think, as a concept, it is pretty dodgy way to distribute software (again not pointing at you, just a general observation.)

+1 on that!
To be honest I didn't think about this when I downloaded the script.
Before I ran it, I did a compare between uNiversals script and the original one from Bram77 on GitHub, but not to look for suspicious code, just to see what was needed 'extra' to get my special HTPC running :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo RC3 crashing on AMD 780G machine0