Cache behind/ahead pictures and slideshows
would be very nice to have cache ahead and behind of current picture being display, so that forward or reverse stepping by one can be instant.

so once current picture is decoded (i.e. jpeg) and put into video buffer, start loading and decoding next picture and keep in video buffer ready to switch instantly. and keep the old one, so that reversing by one is still instant.

to me, this would be an amazing addition, and make the picture viewer so much better! :-)

rocky.
i think we are happy to bale to display big pics without running out of memory. dunno if there is enought memory left to precache the next pic (you will have to cache two pics: the one before and the one after the pic you are currently watching).
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
do you know how much memory is available?

would be very nice if we could even just cache ahead for limited resolution, say upto 1280x1024 (5mb); could 10mb be scraped together? pretty please! :-)

the ability to quickly switch between two pics in a slideshow is a very useful ability (i am used to acdsee).

rocky
i agree with this, would make it like acdsee - very very very fast.
10mb is a lot of memory on xbox - about 15% of the total system memory. it might be possible though...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

just looked at the source code; on quick inspection, it looks like two images are already loaded at once - this is part of slideshow transition effect. so it would not take much to cache-ahead, it's almost there already.

i also like a quick-snap switch between current and next picture (hate transition effects).

i am going to try to implement these two features.

already hacked: removal of 2x,3x,4x zoom on picture display unless the info button is pressed, and sped-up analogue-stick pan control, now it's nice. :-)

rocky.
(rocky @ feb. 19 2004,21:40 Wrote:i also like a quick-snap switch between current and next picture (hate transition effects).
isn't that what you get if you set the transition time to 0?

Quote:already hacked: removal of 2x,3x,4x zoom on picture display unless the info button is pressed.
rocky.

maybe just flash the zoom factor for a sec or 2, then you have to press info to se it again?

Quote:sped-up analogue-stick pan control, now it's nice.
and the same for remote i presume? Smile

anyway, great to have some enhanchments in the picture section too. Smile

btw, here are some more adjustments to 'my pictures' i was thinking about. maybe you can comment on them?

- select (remote) in zommed mode = advance to next picture (next picture unzoomed?). don't have to go to normal mode to advance.

- less obstructive info in zoom mode: white text with zoom factor in upper right corner only for few seconds. press 'info' to show zoom factor, press again to show full info permanently, press again to remove, and so on (this is basically what you suggested).

-full 'info' mode shows filename, file size, and original resolution. (maybe later on even jpeg tags, like date, comments etc.)

-unzoomed, normal mode (0) = fit to width/hight, whichever is larger regardsless of resolution. all my pictures doesn't always fill the screen, maybe it's because of lowres. pictures, but then i think they should be autumatically resized to fill the screen.

- zoom mode 1 = fit to width/hight, whichever is smaller.

- zoom 2-9 = zoom into the picture as usual.

(i should post this as a separate feature request, but lets see what you think of them):
/mosax :) ...likes xbmc
just been experimenting, with current cvs build of xbmc, there is 40mb free ram after loading a 6mb image in slideshow; this bumps to 34mb every step - as two images are loaded during the transition effect.

rocky.
mosax, agree with every point.

the move to next picture when zoomed is very easy to change, and i've had that hacked on my build for a while now.

i prefer no info when zoomed, unless the info button is pressed; perhaps info button could cycle through a couple levels of detail before returning to off?

rocky
has anyone used the picture/slideshow viewer on the win xp mce? it's pretty sweet-- pictures pan slowly (documentary-style) and the transition is a beautiful fade. are there any plans to include more types of transitions/slideshows?

- g
would like to add a faster jpeg decode library, and exif information display.
it seems to me that not much attention is given to the slideshow. i wish all the good suggestions got implemented soon.

the feature that i want the most is to have the option to fill the whole screen in slideshow configuration. it is very much fun to share pictures with friends on a big screen tv. the tv is 16:9 while pictures are 4:3. the black bars on both sides of the tv are quite distracting. it is also a concern of burnin.
rocky,

are you going to submit the changes make to the slideshow? it will be great to have the fast picture show soon.

thanks,
would be nice to get my mods added to xbmc dev.
latest cvs build i tried seemed to consume double the memory - temporarily stopped work atm, but i will come back to it soon. i really do want a faster picture display, faster rotate, exif, and other things discussed in this thread.

rocky
if we could merge this ability, i could finally read all my comics. thanx muxh!

no really, i love xbmc, happy spring break all

ehb

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cache behind/ahead pictures and slideshows0