Upgrade XBMCbuntu 11 (Eden) to Frodo
Hi All,

What is the simplest way to upgrade this, I have seen advice to run the XBMC install disc but this seems overly complex, cant this be done using apt-get?

Also I thought from Eden onwards it was supposed to be able to installl updates on its own??
i would say just that easy:
PHP Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt
-get upgrade 

But i dont know if this will work. I have to upgrade too, but first a wait if we got an answer! Smile
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153900

How many topics on the same thing you guys think is enough? So far I count +10 on this subject.

to a moderator please merge

uNi
(2013-01-30, 14:07)Reverent001 Wrote: i would say just that easy:
PHP Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt
-get upgrade 

But i dont know if this will work. I have to upgrade too, but first a wait if we got an answer! Smile

Tried that yesterday ... didn't work ...
(2013-01-30, 14:14)digzz Wrote:
(2013-01-30, 14:07)Reverent001 Wrote: i would say just that easy:
PHP Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt
-get upgrade 

Tried that yesterday ... didn't work ...

+1 on that very detailed problem report
(2013-01-30, 14:14)uNiversal Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153900

How many topics on the same thing you guys think is enough? So far I count +10 on this subject.

to a moderator please merge

uNi

Do you?

Well I dont.

The one you linked to is an upgrade of Frodo RC3 to final. If the instructions are the same then great but the FAQ's on how to poerform upgrades are terrible and it is the same everytime there is a release. The change of XBMCLive tyo XBMCbunut has made it overly complicated as it refers to upgrading the underlying Ubuntu install also which the vast majority of people couldn't care less about - a definite backward step.

Also none of this answers the query about XBMC supposedly being able to update itself from v11 on.
what reverent said should work for you, if you have xbmcbuntu 11 stable. If you used some other ppa, see my howto from that thread and adjust the removal according to the ppa you have now.

And then again: if docs are so bad and upgrade is so utterly difficult - grab a new ISO and reinstall.
Thanks, wsnipex thats all I was asking, will try that and report back.

I just think that an ISO and reinstall is much more troublesome, if the FAQ said:

Upgrade XBMCbuntu v11 (Eden) stable to XBMCbuntu v12 (Frodo) Stable

run the below commands from SSH:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Thats all that would be needed and would stop the questions.
OK so turned out I must have used an unstable release at somepoint so I followed the instructions at:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153900

System is now upgraded but now having a major nightmare with movie covers which most have changed to screenshots from the film.
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
did not work for me, xbmc was being held back. Here's a small excerpt from aptitude on why that is:
Code:
Source Package: xbmc
--\ Depends (22)
--- libmp3lame0 (UNSATISFIED)
--- libnfs1 (UNSATISFIED)
--- libssh-4 | libssh2-1 (UNSATISFIED)
--- python-bluez | python-lightblue (UNSATISFIED)
--- swig (UNSATISFIED)
--\ Suggests (3)
--- libva-intel-vaapi-driver (UNAVAILABLE)
--- xbmc-test-helper (UNAVAILABLE)

This from a stock XBMCbuntu, with the noted exception of me adding the drivers for the CrystalHD (why aren't they included by default in XBMCbuntuHuh?) and an upgraded librtmp.

So I'm thinking a dist-upgrade might be better, but I'll have to recompile the broadcom drivers and librtmp. I'm welcoming any experiences you all might have.[/code]
something is definitely wrong. Those package should be available.

provide the output of:
apt-cache policy xbmc libmp3lame*
Just trying the same thing myself, how could I tell if the upgrade was successfull.
On Main menu goto SETTINGS >> SYSTEM Information

or Look at a XBMC log

uNi
Just to add further information to this, I did a clean install of XBMCBuntu Eden and then upgraded to Frodo. I was hoping to use this method to get around the 'black cursor in the middle of the screen' problem that makes XBMCBuntu Frodo a no-go clean install for some Intel users (RC6 is the problem - there's a whole other thread about this).

Anyway, clean install of Eden went fine, then I ssh'ed into it and did the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I can confirm that this did NOT install Frodo. I then did the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

This did install Frodo. And it also appears to have cured the 'black cursor' crash, presumably because I'm still on a different kernel to the one used in a clean XBMCBuntu Frodo install.

Hope this helps someone.

Discy
I did this and it worked great, but now it doesn't automatically boot into XBMC. Where do I set that?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade XBMCbuntu 11 (Eden) to Frodo0