[Solved] How do I Sync Libraries when MySQL is already installed?
Hi,
I just installed Frodo (kudos to the xbmc team!) on my main Windows HTPC and wish to sync libraries of my other HTPCs to it using this guide. My issue is that I already have MySQL installed on the HTPC running a MediaPortal TV Server. I tried skipping the first 4 steps (installing MySQL) but get this when trying to create a user:
Code:
mysql> CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc';
ERROR 1227 (42000): Access denied; you need the CREATE USER privilege for this operation

So I'm wondering, can/should I:
a) install another instance of MySQL? Or will that screw up the current instance?
b) somehow use the existing instance of MySQL? (I know nothing of databases and don't know how this would be done.)

Thanks,
Doug
This means that whatever user you've logged into MySQL with doesn't have permissions to create a user.

What user account did you log into MySQL with?

Did you install MySQL initially, or was it installed automatically as part of MediaPortal TV Server installation?

a) No don't install another
b) A single install of mySQL can be used for multiple users (in this case user 'xbmc' with all of the access for the database being used for XBMC software). If you plan to use multiple "clients" to access the same database, you only really need that same single user 'xbmc' with accesss to that same database. (You could created multiple users but its not necessary and probably not needed for what you intend to do with it)
(2013-01-31, 18:35)ConfusedTA Wrote: This means that whatever user you've logged into MySQL with doesn't have permissions to create a user.

What user account did you log into MySQL with?
I didn't log in. I just double clicked mysql,exe and got the command prompt. (Off I go to google and/or mediaportal to find the user id/password and learn MySQL...)
Quote:Did you install MySQL initially, or was it installed automatically as part of MediaPortal TV Server installation?
MediaPortal installed it automatically.

(2013-01-31, 20:59)doug Wrote:
Quote:Did you install MySQL initially, or was it installed automatically as part of MediaPortal TV Server installation?
MediaPortal installed it automatically.

Then you need to look at the MediaPortal documentation to see what the password is for the root user. They probably set it to something and created another user for MediaPortal's use and that is the one you are using. That one obviously cannot create other users for security reasons.

If you can't figure out the password for user root, you will have to reset it. This is assuming MediaPortal is not using said root user...

Once it is reset, you can login with root and create the xbmc user. You may want to install MySQL Workbench if you are not comfortable with the command line

HTH

P.S. Sometimes, packages that install MySQL do not set a password for root. It is very dumb and insecure but you never know so try logging in with root and a blank password. If that works, you can create the xbmc user. I would then set a password on root.

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
It turned out to be fairly simple:

Start->Run->cmd.exe
cd C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin (or whatever the path to your MySQL installation is)
mysql -u root -p
type "MediaPortal" and press enter (without the quotes; your input will be masked)

you should have a mysql> prompt
Continue with Step 6.

Thanks for your help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] How do I Sync Libraries when MySQL is already installed?0