Can someone explain how the "latest Movies/TV" works now?
I am a little confused as to how XBMC decides to represent my latest additions into my library. Is it by recently modified file, or by added date/time, or what?

Whats confusing me is episodes I added hours ago are being shown as more recent than episodes that I am adding just now. Both are from newly downloaded files so the more recent additions should have a more recent modified date yet its not showing up as the latest?

Movies on the other hand seem to be normal, its just tv episodes that are confusing me.
It's in the Frodo FAQ, specifically here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...t_of_order

Edit: Eh, I was quick to add that and seems you understand the changes after reading it again....

Have you actually checked the modified date of the files?
(2013-02-03, 01:18)gabbott Wrote: It's in the Frodo FAQ, specifically here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...t_of_order

Thats what I read but didn't understand. By file date does that mean the date the file was created in or the date the file was last modified?

Edit: Aha I got it now, after looking into the files specifically even though the files were technically just created, their modified date was much older so I assume thats what XBMC reads, modified date. Thanks Gabbott.
I can't make heads or tails of it either.

Looking at the dates of the files within my TV shows folder (Which I believe is a last modified date), many do seem in order, but then I have a few files that are much newer than some of the recently added files, yet they are farther down in the list.
I don't see it mentioned anywhere but for TV shows it actually uses the dates of the folder instead of the file like it does for Movie content. Maybe that will explain what you are seeing.
The date of the folder? Yuck! I had hoped this would be based on the file, so when I have to rescan in a show it won't take over the entire "recent" list.
the change is ridiculous. It's "RECENTLY ADDED". It should, clearly, represent the episodes that were most recently added. It should have nothing to do with the date of the file or the date of the folder. If I have an old file, and decide to add it now, then that should be recently added, no?

If they are going to change the function, then they should change the name from recently added to "FILES RECENTLY CREATED".

dumb dumb dumb...
I don't get this function either. I mean I just added a movie and click into the recently added section and have to scroll forever somewhere in the middle of the library to find that particular movie.
(2013-02-03, 05:45)vinistois Wrote: the change is ridiculous. It's "RECENTLY ADDED". It should, clearly, represent the episodes that were most recently added. It should have nothing to do with the date of the file or the date of the folder. If I have an old file, and decide to add it now, then that should be recently added, no?

If they are going to change the function, then they should change the name from recently added to "FILES RECENTLY CREATED".

dumb dumb dumb...

...and so dumb that it isn't documented how to change back the old behavior. Oh wait.
.... so because you have instructions on how to make it work properly, it doesn't matter that it doesn't work properly by default?

clearly users want to see their most recently added videos when they click recently added. Other weird behaviors could be enabled by editing advanced settings.

It's fine to make mistakes. But to try to defend this as a good decision is just silly.
(2013-02-03, 07:07)vinistois Wrote: .... so because you have instructions on how to make it work properly, it doesn't matter that it doesn't work properly by default?

clearly users want to see their most recently added videos when they click recently added. Other weird behaviors could be enabled by editing advanced settings.

It's fine to make mistakes. But to try to defend this as a good decision is just silly.

Okay, but you're wrong.

On what planet does it make sense that a 5 year old file should appear as "new" just because it was just now added to XBMC? If I have an old file on my hard drive, even if it was never added to XBMC, I've probably seem it by then, and it is no longer "new".

There's been a big demand for this specific behavior, and there was logic to back it up, so the change was made. It makes sense for anyone who imports an old library from other software, for anyone rebuilding an XBMC library, for adding a new XBMC box in a house that has an existing NAS, etc. If someone rips a movie or TV show and then adds it to XBMC, they won't even notice a change. If you get the file from somewhere else (torrents, usenet, etc) then I don't feel bad if you have to take an extra step to sort your free movie :P
Another real world example for the logic behind the new behavior. Let's say I have a movie I added to the my library a year ago. I happen to want to refresh the meta data for it. With the old behavior when I refresh it I'll now see it as the most recently added title. With the new behavior I won't.

As Ned pointed out, there is indeed a reasoning for the change and was user demand for an updated logic behind recently added. While I agree with any type of change such as this there are some that are used to an old behavior of the system, you can't please everyone. At least you can get it back if you so wish.
I don't understand the new behaviour. I guess part of it is, I don't think I understand what metadata is, so I'm not sure why I'd want to "re-new" it, and would it really change after a year?

I think I will make the addition to the file so that I can have it act as it would logically (to me) work.

Would using mySQL (or some other library managing software) cause the recently added to work as it did in Eden, without needing to make any additional changes?

FWIW, I'm not complaining, I don't think I can really complain about awesome free software that does pretty much everything I want it to. Big Grin
I had a whole post about how recently added TV Shows didn't seem to be behaving, and then I realized it was because 40 of my tv show episodes had modified dates in 2098! I'm guessing something went crazy when I was migrating to my new server.

Anyway, can I assume that updating the library will reset the recently added as well? I'm scraping all my movies into a brand new library, so I can't test.
I agree with Ned... yes, strange huh Wink

I do have one question Ned... I just added the entire season 3 of Ancient X-Files and those files are new, but the season is 2 years old. Is there a way to make them NOT shows as 'new'? Having 20 videos that I've already watched show in "Latest" sux Tongue
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can someone explain how the "latest Movies/TV" works now?0