HTPC config advice
Hello all,

I decided to build my own HTPC because my Popcorn Hour C-200 died recently. I've been reading a lot around here and on other websites last couple of days, but got sort of lost.

The idea is to install OpenElec, or just Ubuntu with XBMC (like a have on my laptop right now). The HTPC should be able to play 1080p and 3D content on my Panasonic plasma TV. Regarding audio: I can live with sound going to my TV via HDMI, but if there is a way of hooking up the HTPC with my old Harman/Kardon receiver (AVR 4500), that would be fine too (although I think that would only be possible through an optical cable).

I prefer to spend a bit more money and have a system that just runs smoothly, rather than try to save a few bucks and have stuttering menu's or 3D content. I won't be playing any games on it. It would be nice if the system can do some downloading and processing whilst playing HD content, but that's not a must.

So, the idea is to get the following:
Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz 3MB LGA1155
ASRock H77M-ITX - Socket 1155 - Mini-ITX
Kingston HyperX blu - 4GB 1600MHz PC3-12800
Cooler Master - GX-Lite - 500 Watt (I know this is way too havy, but I'v read that it's pretty stable due to having only one 12V rail)
I suppose I don't need a dedicated graphics card here, do I?
And an HDD of course, but I already got that a few weeks ago (just before the Popcorn passed away). Most of my content is on a NAS anyway.

So my question is, is this configuration going to work?

Or should I rather go for:
AMD A series A8-5500 - 3.2 GHz - 4MB
Asrock FM2A75M-ITX - Socket FM2 - mini-ITX

Thanks all!
Looks good. Stick with your first build if you're going to use Linux -amd has crappy driver support in Linux. That CPU has enough grunt to play 1080p on CPU (not sure about 3d) so if you're not happy with vaapi disable it and use CPU. PSU seems like over kill. Thought about getting a small ssd for the boot drive?

I'm sure I've seen adapters on eBay that take the audio from a HDMI cable and output it to optical, maybe one of those would allow you to get sound to your amp.
Thank you for your reply!

Yep, I might get an ssd for booting. I suppose the smallest one available will still be large enough, right?

I'll look into that adapter to convert the HDMI signal to optical. However, does that require 2 HDMI connections (1 for the TV and one for this adapter) on my mobo?
If I'm looking at the correct MoBo, it has an optical output, why wouldn't you just use it?
I wouldnt get a ssd smaller than 30gb, although you can get away with less. Theres someting like this for audio although it is pricey and only has hdmi 1.3. Does your tv have a optical out? If so you may be able to passthrough a audio signal on your tv to your amp, both my tvs passthrough a ac3 stream.
(2013-02-04, 10:43)teeedubb Wrote: Does your tv have a optical out? If so you may be able to passthrough a audio signal on your tv to your amp, both my tvs passthrough a ac3 stream.

Good point. Yes, it does have an optical out. I'll give that a try. Smile

Regarding 3D: Is the configuration above, capable of playing 3D decently, so without dedicated gpu?
(2013-02-03, 14:22)Onrust Wrote: I can live with sound going to my TV via HDMI, but if there is a way of hooking up the HTPC with my old Harman/Kardon receiver (AVR 4500), that would be fine too (although I think that would only be possible through an optical cable).
Your mobo have optical output. You can simply connects audio optical output to your AVR optical input via optical cable and HDMI output to your HDTV input via HDMI cable (HTPC--->HDTV via HDMI and HTPC--->AVR via optical).....or you can do as the other guy suggested (HTPC--->HDTV via HDMI and HDTV--->AVR via optical).....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-02-04, 18:31)bluray Wrote: Your mobo have optical output.

Indeed! I checked the manufacturers website just now. Confused The reseller's website however didn't mention it (or is it the same as spdif?).

SPDIF can be either a coax or optical connection. Which one you need depends on your receiver and there are adapters for converting one to the other if needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF
It looks like both mobo and my receiver have an optical connector, so that should be OK. Just ordered the whole lot, should be in this Wednesday Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC config advice0