Some Help (long post)
Hello everyone i apologize if this post is long or even in the wrong place but i can't find any person who can help me...

What i currently have is a 2008 Macbook Pro and an MSI GT780DX laptop.

What i need is some kind of setup that i can download some shows / movies and other misc. items and view them in the room am making. The room will be relatively small almost 4X4. I am also thinking of buying a Smart TV, i like the Samsung ES8000 for the refresh rate and the colors but i hear the LG's 3d glasses will not tire the eyes.

I also do some gaming on my MSI, also a friend recommended Synology and i was thinking of the 5 bay one.

My question is can i use the MacBook to handle the downloading and the viewing of the multimedia or do i need a separate PC for that?

If i do get a new PC should i get one budget one for the downloads and 1 for the gaming or can the gaming one handle both? will i need 2 graphics cards in it?

My problem is that i am also in a place where i cannot get the latest gadgets very easily.

My last problem is that if i want to extend the viewing to another room i heard all i need is a hacked apple tv or something similar... will the LG TV be able to handle the streaming of the shows from my NAS without the apple TV?

Also would i be able to access all of this remotely and smoothly...

Thanks to everyone who can help and i apologize again for the noobiness
Normally people put a device (full computer or otherwise) that can run XBMC, directly connected to the TV. A hacked Apple TV 2 will do it, but they're in high demand because only Apple TV 3s are made, and no one has hacked it yet. It would be much easier to get an Android box and use that instead.

At the same time, XBMC is now getting features that will allow you to "play to" DLNA/UPnP sources, such as smart TVs. You would load XBMC up on your laptop and then be able to play it directly to the TV from XBMC, and even control the playback. It's not quite the same set up, but it might work for you. The big limitation is that XBMC still doesn't have a transcoding server, so only video formats your TV natively support would work in this set up.

You could also run a cord from one of the laptops to the TV, even if it's just to test how XBMC would feel directly on your TV.

I would check out the hardware forum for various suggestions. You can do anything from a $100 (USD) Android box to a $150-$200 nettop PC, to a $500 + super tripped out option.
Sorry it took me this long to reply and thank you for your quick response.

Right now i am targetting the LG 55LM9600 TV. I am also looking at the Synology DS1512+. Assuming i get both will i still need an htpc box? I would like something handle anything including 3d since the tv can play 3d and even convert 2d to 3d. Will something like the suggested htpc by Newegg on youtube be enoug? I will be putting it in a minimum of 3 rooms but the main room will see the heaviest use. So in conclusion will i need an htpc and Synology or will the Synology be enough?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some Help (long post)0