posters being replaced by thumbnails
hey guys..

ive just upgraded from Eden to Frodo on my mediacenter.

all the movies and tv shows had, and still have proper poster and fanart. however - when i start a movie/tv show and bring up the player controls, i no longer see the poster but rather a thumbnail from the actual media file. when i go back to my movies list, the fanart and poster are missing but the thumbnail i saw when the movie is playing replaces them.

if i leave the movies/tv shows section and come back in, the poster and fanart return.

i've disabled the option for "retrieve thumbnail from media" in the settings but it doesn't make a difference
I have the same issue!!! any thoughts?
i found a workaround...

i reverted back to Eden and restored the backup of my library. within Eden's settings, i disabled "retrieve thumbnail and details from media" option.

i then upgraded to Frodo and when prompted to update my thumbnails - clicked yes. once completed, you can re-enable the "retrieve thumbnail..." option

seems like this sort of thing should've been tested before release.

my guess is that before the thumbnails are updated, XBMC assumes there's no posters and goes through all the media to create thumbnails. they should change their code to NOT scan for thumbnails until they've been updated
Oh thx for the tip. We should have done that Smile

Oh wait we did but there way to many possibilities to test ourselves
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
possibility of people upgrading their library from Eden to Frodo would be pretty high up there wouldn't it?
I've been experiencing this problem as well.

I had some troubles with the upgrade, mostly due to my own stupidity.
Having sorted those issues, I am now noticing this disappearing poster issue.

Is there any way of fixing this without downgrading and re-upgrading?
Let me know if I can provide any info to help with a resolution!

Thanks!
Hoobie7 Smile
Just use a skin that's been updated for Frodo (e.g. Confluence).

XBMC with Confluence will only ever use an extracted thumb if a poster doesn't exist for that item.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i only use confluence and still have this issue. the only way around it is to disable "retrieve thumbnails from media" before upgrading to frodo.

(2013-02-11, 09:04)jmarshall Wrote: XBMC with Confluence will only ever use an extracted thumb if a poster doesn't exist for that item.

thats right.. however, when you first upgrade to frodo - before it updates the thumbnail database (or whatever it does on first run) - XBMC doesn't seem to see the posters hence kicking off a "retrieve thumbnails as i can't see any posters!"

once the update is done, it seems to be confused as to what to display - thumbnail or poster
That's plain wrong. The Eden->Frodo art updater specifically precludes generated art. If you see it, it's because it's been regenerated in Frodo due to no matching art found from Eden.

I won't discount bugs in that code, but unless I can reproduce it, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist. Help me reproduce it by starting to get logs etc.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Okay, so here's what I've got.
The issue only seems to show up with movies that were there during the upgrade.
I added some new movies last night and they don't seem to exhibit this problem.
I've also noticed that nearly all the movies that were there during the upgrade don't have dates.

Here's what happens.
I select a movie, hit enter to play.

Then jump ahead a bit. Not sure if the amount of time matters.

I hit X to drop back out to the movie list; the poster is gone and the thumbnail is in it's place.

When I get info and select the art I get this, poster and fanart missing.

Exiting XBMC and restarting puts everything back to the way it was.
Let me know if any of this helps!

Thanks,
Hoobie7
Hoobie7: Your problem is the same as in this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154691

It's not related to this one, which is where you never get the poster image, always the thumb.

(2013-02-12, 05:11)jmarshall Wrote: I won't discount bugs in that code, but unless I can reproduce it, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist. Help me reproduce it by starting to get logs etc.

easy to reproduce.. i've upgraded a few XBMC installs for friends.

1. Find an Eden library with poster and fanart.
2. Make sure "retrieve thumbnails and information from videos" is enabled (which it is by default) and "Show recently added videos" is also enabled.
3. Upgrade to Frodo.
4. When prompted to upgrade artwork, click Yes.
5. Start watching a video and press i on your keyboard.

when the player controls come up, the poster should display but the thumbnail does instead. when stopping the video, the thumbnail replaces the poster until you exit from the movies section and go back in.

BUT having said all that - if you disable the "retrieve thumbnails" option BEFORE upgrading to Frodo, everything works as expected
You're doing step 5 while Frodo is busy updating your art, or after?

(2013-02-17, 09:02)jmarshall Wrote: You're doing step 5 while Frodo is busy updating your art, or after?

definitely after it's finished
Got the same issue...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
posters being replaced by thumbnails0