Bug Judder / Frame Drop
There is constant frame dropping happening on pretty much all my SD mpeg4 files. 1080p and 720p are absolutely unaffected.
I am using the latest version of raspbmc (frodo 12), tried the latest version of openelec and also xbian alpha 4. It does it on all these releases. The bug would therefore seem to point to xbmc and how it is behaving on the raspberry pi.
The files play back absolutely perfect however on my i7 laptop using windows 7 64bit using xbmc frodo 12.
I'm not sure what versions your builds are. Does it occur with this build:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1328750

If so can you produce a sample (e.g. 100MB) and post it somewhere (e.g. dropbox).
would like to test it too as I have no such issues on our latest builds,playing files like +25gb mkv 1920*1080 DTS
I have uploaded two samples (100mb) each for two films as an example.
When i play these back on my laptop using splash lite or xbmc frodo for windows they are perfect. i have tried them on my wd live player in the other room and they are also fine; just seems to be the raspberry. raspberry btw is model b.
I used the custom build as above and i can confirm the issue is still there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0jsbif842h3xl..._2-001.mkv
will post the next link once it finishes uploading - i am in a rural area and the connection is slow.
thanks

tested your sample, haven't seen any problem with playback
all plays smooth here, not a single glitch
tbh not see the reason why it shouldn't as it has low bit rate

running our latest XBian here
Hi
Post a screen shot of your video and sound settings in xbmc ...system~ video~ playback and system~system~audio output (these are skin dependent locations so they my not be exact)
it doesn't matter if I have passthrough (HDMI 5.1/external decoders ON) or if I downmix (HDMI 2.0/external decoders OFF)
and forgot to mentioned, playback is over LAN/SMB
Cool
It's smooth for me too.
Do you have "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled? Does your TV support 50Hz?
i can confirm adjust frame rate is selected. My tv is new, only bought last year so should be no problems doing 50hz; I have tried my wd live on this tv with the same files and it ouputs at 50hz. One thing i have noticed is that the raspberry ouputs these two files at 1080p 24p mode.

This one seems more jumpy than the other - finished uploading now using our terrible line speed :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i88biqtp4f388...e1-001.mkv
(2013-02-11, 18:14)julius02 Wrote: i can confirm adjust frame rate is selected. My tv is new, only bought last year so should be no problems doing 50hz; I have tried my wd live on this tv with the same files and it ouputs at 50hz. One thing i have noticed is that the raspberry ouputs these two files at 1080p 24p mode.

When playing the first sample, what does TV indicate as the resolution/framerate?
What does:
tvservice -s
report when playing the video?
What does:
tvservice -m CEA
report?

The second video is stuttery for me.
the second sample is a bit weird
when I play it with HDMI 5.1 external decoders ON (pass through) the video stutter but when I set HDMI 2.0 external decoders OFF (downmix) the video plays smooth

this is a bit odd tbh

@popcornmix any clue ? as usually we see the opposite situation
Do you have deinterlace turned on (or set to auto - they do the same thing *). Turn it off and I believe the clip will play smoothly for about 5 minutes.

What happens at 5mins is a bit bizarre. The file seems to start duplicating frames. E.g.

Code:
dts=180347000 pts=UNKNOWN size=46444
dts=180389000 pts=UNKNOWN size=89388
dts=180389000 pts=180389000 size=89388
dts=180430000 pts=UNKNOWN size=48652
dts=234443000 pts=UNKNOWN size=11824
dts=234484000 pts=UNKNOWN size=88482
dts=234484000 pts=234484000 size=88482
dts=234526000 pts=UNKNOWN size=11088
dts=234776000 pts=UNKNOWN size=11887
dts=234818000 pts=UNKNOWN size=86069
dts=234818000 pts=234818000 size=86069
dts=234860000 pts=UNKNOWN size=16346

So, there are two frames of size 89388 at timestamp 180389000.
Obviously duplicating I frames is wasting space in the file and is a bug in the encoder.

But, it also throws out our fps calculation, which keeps the video and hdmi update in sync.

(*) Couple of problems with deinterlace. Both on and auto are treated the same. If deinterlace is on and video is h264, and it uses the right sort of NAL packets it might be able to determine it is not interlaced, and switch it off. For non-h264 it will always be on.
Deinterlacing a video file doubles the framerate (as well as causing a slight blurring). Normally interlaced content is 25 or 30 frames per second and is displayed on a 50 ot 60 Hz display, so framerate syncing works.
For a 24 frames per second video, the deinterlace will produce 48 frames per second which isn't a standard hdmi mode, so it doesn't sync correctly.
I've got a plan to make the auto deinterlace detection more robust, by asking the GPU. However that is complicated as it requires inserting the deinterlace openmax component after the first frame has decoded which will require some rearchitecting of omxplayer.
For now, make sure deinterlace is disabled unless you really need it.
@popcornmix great stuff m8 Wink
never looked into it so close so would never find myself Wink
I use proper muxed files so thats why I never experienced such issue
-thx-
thanks for the responses; much appreciated.
Yes i have de-interlace on - am i right in thinking if i disable and restart then i should have no problems playing this file?
Am i right in thinking that windows doesn't give the same problem due to it using a different encoder than the raspberry??[/align]
(2013-02-14, 10:51)julius02 Wrote: thanks for the responses; much appreciated.
Yes i have de-interlace on - am i right in thinking if i disable and restart then i should have no problems playing this file?
Am i right in thinking that windows doesn't give the same problem due to it using a different encoder than the raspberry??[/align]

The file will play better with deinterlace off.
Yes, windows has a different decoder/player so doesn't have the same issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Judder / Frame Drop0