HTPC-OpenElec-Build
(2013-02-14, 06:55)JxPx Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 06:49)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I think what everyone is trying to tell you is this is absolute overkill for OpenELEC for watching 720p and 1080p videos Smile.

I understand that it is overkill for openelec, as I said previously I am going with a windows build instead and also decided I wanted it to handle some light gaming too!

@dougie, judging by your sig, you look like a case expert. Does the case I chose fit this build or could I possibly go smaller?

Sorry, totally missed that. I think for a mini-ITX build, the A10-5800K is going to be tough to cool. You might be able to get a Scythe Shuriken in that PC-Q12 case you link but I'd be inclined to go with a bigger case if you have you heart set on the A10-5800K.

You might be interested in this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=144728 (A10-5700 gaming HTPC).
Thx guys. I will definitely take all these inputs and update my list. So if I can fit a shuriken in there, along with the thermal paste, would that be enough to keep it cool?
If you were using it for light duty most of the time it'd probably be ok. Since you're going to be gaming and maxing it out, if you're anal about temperatures it's not going to work very well. Don't expect to see it a few degrees above ambient. Your best expectation should be to keep it from throttling/shutting down.
(2013-02-14, 16:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: If you were using it for light duty most of the time it'd probably be ok. Since you're going to be gaming and maxing it out, if you're anal about temperatures it's not going to work very well. Don't expect to see it a few degrees above ambient. Your best expectation should be to keep it from throttling/shutting down.

What do you think of this case?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...=CA-100-BX
I know a lot of people like the Bitfenix Prodigy but it's totally subjective looks-wise. I didn't like it when I saw it in person just because it's plastic.

This looks really interesting and not very expensive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811353014

If you got a SFX power supply like the FSP GHS 300-R or got a 150 or 160W picoPSU it might be a winner.

There are also the Silverstone SUGO cases that come with a built-in SFX power supply and have nice fans.
I like the look and gives me more fan options for cooling. I think I'll give it a try. Wish I could find one in black or silver. The bright orange is definitely the only thing I don't like about it.

Okay, so here is the updated list. I think I should be good to go. I believe everything here should fit. One review on the cooler said it touched ram on MB that I bought, but I think he had all 4 slots in use. I think If I put my 2 sticks in the first row, it should fit fine. I will order a big shuriken 2 to be safe.

Here's the black BitFenix in stock from a reputable dealer:

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71143&v...omoid=1395
(2013-02-14, 22:15)YOUNG13 Wrote: Here's the black BitFenix in stock from a reputable dealer:

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71143&v...omoid=1395

Thanks young. Sadly I'm gunna order the orange case, my wife really likes it and as much as I want black, I gotta keep the wife happy. Plus, how could I tell her no on valentines day. So all parts ordered and I hopefully should have it all completed by the end of next week. I'll post up some shots when I'm done.
Good deal. Have fun with the build, it should have you set for a couple years at least. I know I always get the itch to build something new when new products come out.
(2013-02-14, 22:49)YOUNG13 Wrote: Good deal. Have fun with the build, it should have you set for a couple years at least. I know I always get the itch to build something new when new products come out.

Well this is my first HTPC build. My only other build was back when I was single and while deployed to the Mid East made some serious cash, so I built a gaming PC for about 6k…. Never doing that again… young and dumb... 2003 time frame when I built it. I ended up giving it to a friend years later after I got married. Surprisingly it is still running and he can play some decent games. I think he upgraded a few parts in it. I am really excited to build this machine.
Now promise you'll post pictures of the build when you get everything and are putting it together!
(2013-02-15, 02:06)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Now promise you'll post pictures of the build when you get everything and are putting it together!

I definitely will post up some pics during and after the build process.
Rainbow 
Based on what you require of the system, why not go back to Openelec instead of Windows 8? And step off the AMD.

You could just go ahead with a Intel Celeron G540 or something and play everything smooth with Openelec including bitstreaming HD-audio.
(2013-02-15, 14:03)Infinion Wrote: Based on what you require of the system, why not go back to Openelec instead of Windows 8? And step off the AMD.

You could just go ahead with a Intel Celeron G540 or something and play everything smooth with Openelec including bitstreaming HD-audio.

As I stated in a previous post, I wanted the system to handle some light gaming. I need windows for that. XBMC should still run smoothly with this set up.
Thumbs Up 
(2013-02-14, 18:22)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I know a lot of people like the Bitfenix Prodigy but it's totally subjective looks-wise. I didn't like it when I saw it in person just because it's plastic.

This looks really interesting and not very expensive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811353014

If you got a SFX power supply like the FSP GHS 300-R or got a 150 or 160W picoPSU it might be a winner.

There are also the Silverstone SUGO cases that come with a built-in SFX power supply and have nice fans.

@dougie.... So I got the case in the mail today and its very nice..minus the bright orange (wife thought it was cute)...and to my surprise the only thing plastic on it is the front face cover and top/bottom handle rails. The rest of the case is aluminum. Plenty of space for expansion and future builds. I'm hoping to get the rest of the parts tomorrow so I can start the build.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC-OpenElec-Build1