HD audio passthrough with ION
Hey all, really looked forward to having HD audio with XBMC, well yesterday I updated my Xbmcbuntu to Frodo but I have some troubles.

It's an Acer Revo R3700, 1.8GHz and 4GB RAM, connected by HDMI to Onkyo TXSR308.

I have all the boxes ticked as my AVR is capable of all AC3, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD etc.

AC3 and DTS passthrough works fine and it shows on the display of the AVR what audio type.

However when watching anything with HD audio, it doesn't seem to output anything and my AVR just switches to Pro Logic II but there is no sound.

Now yesterday I was fiddling around pressing loads of buttons and I managed to make it briefly show DTS-HD MSTR on the AVR. However I have not been able to do it since, and any movie I try to watch with TrueHD or DTS-MA just plays with no sound and the AVR stays on PLII.

If I switch the audio output mode in the playback menu to Optical/Coax then I get the DD or DTS core bitstream (I understand that only HDMI can passthrough HD audio), and if I switch to Analog then my AVR shows Multichannel on movies with DTS MA and I hear surround sound but on TrueHD movies the video lags like hell and I get NO audio whatsoever.

So...anyone know of a solution please?

Ok slight update, I've gone back to HDMI output for the audio in the playback menu and here's what happens:

The video plays smoothly, but there is no sound. The receiver obviously detects something because it switches to Pro Logic II Movie. However, nothing comes through the speakers. If I manually change it to "Direct" mode, after about 30 seconds or so it makes a noise, and the DTS-HD MASTER light comes on, and then the main display shows that it is outputting DTS-HD MA. Still no sound from the speakers.

The same thing happens with TrueHD, I put it in "Direct" and after a while the TrueHD light comes on, and it shows the Dolby logo and TrueHD on the screen but there is still no sound.
This is ION2 right? I believe it should handle hd audio, but some people will tell you ion doesn't do hd audio. Very confusing to know who to believe. May depend on your nvidia driver version;
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
ION is not same as ION2, simple.

uNi
(2013-02-15, 21:44)uNiversal Wrote: ION is not same as ION2, simple.

uNi

I know that. You know that. there's a lot of people don't even know there is a difference. This leads to a lot of misinformation.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid=1170715 ION2 apparently doing hd audio, but with xvba ppa, and since a great deal of AE bugs have been resolved since that post and since Frodo has been release I would say a nightly build is in order for the OP.

Op is using plain XBMCbutnu and needs to move to xvba upgrade to nightly and configure things again like screenshots and try again.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

uNi
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I have followed the instructions in the above post but still get NO audio when watching videos with HD audio.
I believe you are incorrect about the capabilities of your receiver and might have set the audio settings incorrect, causing this problem.
Could you please screenshot your audio settings ?

I am most interested in which setting you chose for LPCM support and for the speaker configuration.

I had similar problems with my ION2 system (Shuttle XS35GTv2) until I read up on the way the new audio settings work exactly, and carefully checked what my receiver could and could not do.

Also, I am not running the xbmc-xvba build, but I do have the correct nvidia drivers installed (which i believe has more to do with this issue)
Is there a screenshot button in XBMCbuntu?

My receiver is definitely capable of DTS-HD Master 5.1, Dolby TrueHD 5.1. There's a sticker on the front which says so! Also, I bitstream the audio from my PS3 when watching blu-rays and it correctly displays DTS-HD MA or whatever and makes the pretty light come on Smile
Use a keyboard. Press prtscr.
record button on remote

uNi
(2013-03-01, 16:47)rogers13 Wrote: Is there a screenshot button in XBMCbuntu?

My receiver is definitely capable of DTS-HD Master 5.1, Dolby TrueHD 5.1. There's a sticker on the front which says so! Also, I bitstream the audio from my PS3 when watching blu-rays and it correctly displays DTS-HD MA or whatever and makes the pretty light come on Smile
I am not saying your receiver does not support those standards, but if you set any of the other settings incorrect it might bork up your audio anyway Smile
By looking at your PS3 settings you can see what your receiver can and can not do, PS3 has great autodetection built in.
I know this thread is a year old but I thought I'd just give an update, sometime during the last 14 months something in XBMC has changed and now my little ION machine plays back DTS-HD MA perfectly, even from uncompressed bluray rips. TrueHD works too, but every now and then the audio drops out for about 10ms
Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have removed the passwords. I used Transformers 3 to test since it has TrueHD 7.1 and I only had to watch about 5 minutes and already noticed 2 of the dropouts.
Yeah - OE 3.2.4 uses Frodo. Frodo is not maintained anymore. Upgrade to the something in: snapshots.openelec.tv or 3.95.5 and revisit. Make sure to switch to confluence skin.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD audio passthrough with ION0