• 5(current)
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions
Guys, just fyi

There are different types of 3D. Some require hdmi 1.4a, some don't. The ones that don't require it, can be played by pretty much any htpc that plays 1080p content

There are the Full HD Frame Packed versions, which require 1.4a simply because the 1.3 does not support that resolution. It is practically 2 full size 1080p pictures either side by side or over and under with a blank strip (45px) in between. So the resolution of each frame is more like 1920x2205 (for over/under). This is the format most commonly used in retail 3D blurays.

There are also the Half side-by-side or over-under versions, which are compatible with hdmi 1.3. They take both the left and the right eye frames, (for half SBS) horizontally squish them, and put them side by side, creating a single 1920x1080 frame that contains both the left and right frames. Since the resulting signal is identical to a regular 1080p stream, any htpc that plays 1080p also can play this. In this case, you have to manually switch the tv into 3D mode as it won't be able to tell the difference between reg 1080p and half SBS. Essentially, it is the TV that's doing some post-processing to switch it to a 3D picture by cutting each frame in half, expanding horizontally by 2x, and displaying them in sequence. Most scene releases are of this kind and will play on pretty much any htpc.

So the video cards or apu's that advertise 3D, are the ones that are Full HD 3D capable, in other words, hdmi 1.4a ones. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the others are not 3D capable.

And then there is also the case of PlayStation3, which is 1.3, but is able to do frame packed 3D at 24p only (so no FHD3D 1080p60). I am not sure how that relates to htpc's. The manufacturers never seem to get into that. I think that even if the htpc were capable of frame packed 3D at 24p, I don't think xbmc would be able to output that due to ffmpeg (don't quote me on that, it comes down to whether xbmc can play a 1920x2205 video file outputting at that resolution)

Hope it's clear.
I tried with TMT5, but didn't manage to get 3d mode working
Ok so I received the high end model, new guy to htpc. Q190 is a great little computer, came with a blue ray player, didn't know that. Always had Win 7, first time with Win 8. It sucks. Anybody upgraded to Win 7 Pro?.
Tried Media Portal, seems easy enough, going to try XBMC next then maybe Flex. Anybody have any feeling among those 3 programs? From what I have read XBMC is maybe the best (easiest)
Got the q190 up and running in the bedroom with xbmc. Great little machine.

Has anyone had any luck using the rosewill mce remote to turn it on from shutdown? I have the xbmc custom remote settings installed
HTPC_Bar:Silverstone GD05B | ASROCK Z68M | Intel I3 |
HTPC_LivingRoom:Intel NUC i3
HTPC_BedRoom:Lenovo
UNRAID:1TB, 3TB, 3TB

Any Pros/Cons of the Intel NUC vs. this Q190?
I have the low-end Celeron version of the Q190 and it handles everything I've thrown at it (not tried 3D) and the GUI (Confluence) is fluid (have tried Aeon Nox and that's silky smooth as well). The only problem I'm having with it is getting surround sound working for AAC 5.1 rips...DTS and DD 5.1 both fine. Still I have another thread on that so I'll stop there with that rant.

Overall though, really pleased with this machine, especially when a friend of mine has been struggling getting his RaspberryPi working as he'd like it since Christmas, and mine's up and running 90% how I'd like it within two days.

Can't argue...the only downside perhaps is that the roughly equivalent Acer Revo comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse, where this comes with a wired one which is a bit daft...however this has USB 3.0 whereas the Revo does not IIRC.
(2013-03-22, 16:14)480volts Wrote: Ok so I received the high end model, new guy to htpc. Q190 is a great little computer, came with a blue ray player, didn't know that. Always had Win 7, first time with Win 8. It sucks. Anybody upgraded to Win 7 Pro?.
Tried Media Portal, seems easy enough, going to try XBMC next then maybe Flex. Anybody have any feeling among those 3 programs? From what I have read XBMC is maybe the best (easiest)

If you want to keep Windows 8, and still have your normal desktop, and a start button try Pokki.
I installed it on my Q190, and think it's great.
Be warned that some don't like it because they worry that it may be monitoring some things.
There is another program out there called Classic Shell.
Both allow you to skip the Metro UI start screen, and go directly to your desktop.
Once I changed that up, I have come to love my Q190.
I use XBMC as my preferred media program, along with all the other streaming sources like Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube.
This box has never missed a beat in the two weeks I have had it. Until I went to Frodo 12.1 which has crashed a few time, but will be corrected by the Devs shortly.
I was even able to play 3D movies which I found on XBMC. It looked great.
(2013-03-22, 16:43)cappiel Wrote: Got the q190 up and running in the bedroom with xbmc. Great little machine.

Has anyone had any luck using the rosewill mce remote to turn it on from shutdown? I have the xbmc custom remote settings installed

I did the same thing. I've got the Rosewill remote and I've not managed to configure it to wake the machine from sleep, never mind from shutdown. Have you managed this and if so how? :-) I'm currently playing with EventGhost, but not done too much with it as yet.

Also, Start8 is a way to get your old Start Menu back. I use this and haven't had any problems so far.
So going off the statements here it seems like the base model, with the Intel Celeron Processor 887, can do 1080p at 24fps nicely, and that the fan isn't too noisy after all? So there's no need to buy the more expensive i3 versions (unless you want the blu-ray drive or wireless keyboard combo)?
(2013-03-22, 17:49)punking Wrote: So going off the statements here it seems like the base model, with the Intel Celeron Processor 887, can do 1080p at 24fps nicely, and that the fan isn't too noisy after all? So there's no need to buy the more expensive i3 versions (unless you want the blu-ray drive or wireless keyboard combo)?

Basically, yes. I personally think for pure XBMC (whether Windows or Linux/OpenElec) going for the i3 model is overkill.

However, if the powers that be get game emulation into 13.0 that might be a whole other story...

Big Grin
(2013-03-22, 17:02)Pasoa2021 Wrote: Any Pros/Cons of the Intel NUC vs. this Q190?

Compare two top models-

Lenovo Q190-
-2nd generation Intel Core i3-2365M Processor( 1.40GHz 1333MHz 3MB, HD3000)- Sandy
-HDMI 1.3 (good enough for 3d SBS content)
-1TB 5400 rpm hard drive
-installed 4.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz

Intel NUC-
-3rd generation Intel Core i3-3217U (1.8GHz Hyper Threading, HD4000)- iVy
-HDMI 1.4a (good enough for Frame Packing 3D content)
-64GB mSATA Solid State Drive
-installed 4GB and support up to 16GB DDR3 1600MHz of memory

You can click the links above for more detail and pricing......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I agree that on paper the NUC stacks up against this unit. However, when this was on offer for $249 this was an absolute steal.
The model with the 1.5 ghz celeron 887 and 1tb drive is onsale again for $279 w/free shipping using coupon code USPQ460314
(2013-03-23, 01:29)stownsend Wrote: The model with the 1.5 ghz celeron 887 and 1tb drive is onsale again for $279 w/free shipping using coupon code USPQ460314

Thanks for this.. Pulled the trigger on one after reading this thread. Came out at $297 (including tax) Not a bad deal. I was thinking to get a MacMini but prices on those are just unreal...
I have owned the Boxee box, several other d-link media boxes and currently the Popcorn Hour A-400. Each one of these had one problem or another, poor scanning speed, poor or wrong album art, no dts, etc...etc. I just bought the Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 Desktop (Silver) 57313340. I intend to go wired to router and my video and music will come from network shared hard drives running xbmc on windows 8 from the Lenovo. Will this setup fix all the short comings of the other devices I have tried? What tips or tricks can you pass on to me.

Thank you..................
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions3