• 6(current)
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions
Hi All,

Am considering this option. Would OpenELEC on a USB stick be the best way to optimally run XBMC on this device? Does OpenELEC use the GPU of this model? I'd be able to take advantage of streaming files stored on the 1TB drive with that option, yes?
Going for $279 with the celeron 887, plenty of power of HD. http://slickdeals.net/f/5938718-Lenovo-I...TB-279-A-C?
You guys are no help at all. Just when I think I've decided someone mentions something else. If not for the Celeron thing here, it seems to be a lot of machine in comparison to others, and at $279. Just having a hard time getting past the Celeron.
Dougie Fresh has a whole topic on the 847 which is a step down from the 887 in this model. It does everything under xbmc and has a 17w TDP. I think it pretty hard to beat for an x86.
Just an FYI

I've got my unit yesterday and had a chance to play around with it. So far I am pleased. The fan does run a bit louder than I'd like (@4k RPM) but I was sitting right next to the unit. Turning it down to about 3k PRM with speedfan made the noise almost unnoticeable. With that speed the CPU got up to about 48-50degrees C with XBMC playing a 1080p br rip with dts5.1 sound. XBMC was about 5-10% CPU utilization. Not sure if it matters, at the time it was hooked up to a small TV. It will be a while before I can connect this to the main 58", once I do I'll see how hot it gets and how low I can go with the fan setting.
I almost bit but I didn't like their return policy. If your reason for return is something that is their responsibility, somewhat okay. If you just don't want it, they have to approve and there's a 15% restocking fee, plus shipping both ways ($20 for a 5-6 lb. box).......just sayin'. I can afford it, but it's the principle. I always try ordering Amazon Prime for the free 2-day shipping, and they never ask why you're returning it, they provide a prepaid shipping label, and even come to my door to pick it up. Smile
(2013-03-31, 02:32)Stacman Wrote: I always try ordering Amazon Prime for the free 2-day shipping, and they never ask why you're returning it, they provide a prepaid shipping label, and even come to my door to pick it up. Smile
This is why I bought almost everything from Amazon. I never have to talk to anyone to return something. I can simply fill out the RMA form on Amazon.com, and the return shipping label is provided to me at the end......

I received a Subwoofer with broken grill one time, and the next day Amazon truck showed up at my front door with the new subwoofer.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
They did the same thing to me just last week. I replaced my aging wireless router with a D-Link, and it proved to be the garbage I remembered it to be, so I decided to return it and order a different one. The next day I had the new one before I even had a chance to pack up the return, and they reversed the charges before they received the return.

They make it hard to be disloyal...
Does anyone know if you can get rid off the w8 thats included in the 279 offer, i dont want windows going to use openelec for it and if lenovo also ships to europe for free
(2013-03-31, 01:42)norbi99 Wrote: Just an FYI

I've got my unit yesterday and had a chance to play around with it. So far I am pleased. The fan does run a bit louder than I'd like (@4k RPM) but I was sitting right next to the unit. Turning it down to about 3k PRM with speedfan made the noise almost unnoticeable. With that speed the CPU got up to about 48-50degrees C with XBMC playing a 1080p br rip with dts5.1 sound. XBMC was about 5-10% CPU utilization. Not sure if it matters, at the time it was hooked up to a small TV. It will be a while before I can connect this to the main 58", once I do I'll see how hot it gets and how low I can go with the fan setting.

Wait, what? How did you get speedfan to control the fan speed? No option on my install of speedfan to do anything with the fan?

The fan speed is my only issue with the box (apart from windows 8, which is just atrocious, but once everything is setup you never need to see it), if I can quiet it down a bit, it would be perfect.

Edited to add :

Ah! I was being an idiot, it is possible to use speedfan to control the speed of the fan in this box Smile just needed to learn how to work it in a bit more detail than I'm used to having to do.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XXwAFoZyDRc

This video tells you everything you need to know. I currently have auto fan control on and desired temperature at 55C which makes it silent in idle, I'll play a 1080p and see what happens. If all goes well I might set the max fan speed to 70% so that it never gets too loud...
Heh, that wasn't entirely successful! It ramped up the fan to 6000rpm and made it louder than ever Big Grin

I've locked the fan pwm to 40% for now, which gives me a constant 3300rpm, which is pretty much silent. Lets see how hot it gets when under load.
(2013-03-31, 15:51)Trooperlooper Wrote: Heh, that wasn't entirely successful! It ramped up the fan to 6000rpm and made it louder than ever Big Grin

I've locked the fan pwm to 40% for now, which gives me a constant 3300rpm, which is pretty much silent. Lets see how hot it gets when under load.

How much CPU is XBMC using on system?
(2013-03-31, 16:34)norbi99 Wrote:
(2013-03-31, 15:51)Trooperlooper Wrote: Heh, that wasn't entirely successful! It ramped up the fan to 6000rpm and made it louder than ever Big Grin

How much CPU is XBMC using on system?

playing a 720p mkv at the moment and it is averaging 10% or so.
Thanks for the discussion on this, folks. I was looking for a basic, small HTPC and I think this will fit the bill. Just ordered the package from Best Buy with 500gb drive, 4gb RAM, DVD-RW drive and the wireless keyboard/mouse unit. Had a gift card so got it for a little under $300 total. Everyone, including Lenovo, is apparently back ordered with these, but estimated arrival is in about a week and a half.

Looking forward to it and to continue hearing about everyone else's experiences here.

A
Anyone running OpenElec on a Q190 from a usb stick?

I am able to get my Q190 to boot from usb only if the usb was made from a Windows 7 machine.
But, in this case, the wifi is not working.

Had to update BIOS settings to this for the machine to boot from usb:

Bios -> Startup ->
CSM - Enabled
Boot Mode- Auto
Boot Priority - Legacy first
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions3