Error 2: Share Not Available/Ubuntu 12.04
(2013-03-07, 14:31)damianoloan Wrote: I should add: DHCP-assigned, and I did try with hostname without success.

You should probably try to configure your router so that it always assigns the laptop the same IP address, otherwise this is all a waste of time...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I've entered the username and password when using Add Network Location, it doesn't affect the result.
Let's forget about XBMC for now.

Connect to your Pi with ssh, and try to mount the CIFS share at the command line.

Make sure the folder /mnt/cifs exists, or use another folder and replace /mnt/cifs in the following commands.

Also, you will have to be root, so prefix each command with sudo or switch to the root user (sudo su -)

eg.
Code:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.43/home/damian/Videos /mnt/cifs

and if you want to try with username/password:
Code:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.43/home/damian/Videos /mnt/cifs -o username=<youruser>,password=<yourpassword>

See how far you get with this.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
mount error (13): Permission denied

With both commands. My computer is rejecting my username and password? I don't understand at all.

There was no /mnt/cifs directory, and I was able to create it though.

I tried the same commands from a regular terminal on the 1225C, same output.
On your laptop, did you set a samba password? Try running "smbpasswd <username>" and set a password.

You could also try editing your smb.conf and change "security = user" to "security = share" and see if that helps.
I'm now using a static IP.

I hadn't set a Samba password, but I did so as you mentioned. I've edited smb.conf as described. I restarted the laptop after the second change.

I've tested the connection after each change but it always times out.

The only difference I can find is that my 1225C is not currently visible in my laptop's Windows Network file.
Well I'm out of ideas, I've never bothered setting up CIFS on Linux before. Sorry...
Ha, thanks for your efforts, very much appreciated. Anyone else who feels brave do feel free...
check this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHXIMnzs-kM
you can also try (see video first) witch the IP-adress of your server

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error 2: Share Not Available/Ubuntu 12.040