5.1 FLAC Doesn't play
Hi there!

I've gone through many trials and tribulations regarding my XBMC setup recently, from updating the firmware on my graphics card to making a Custom EDID override for my monitor/AVR to get it to play Bitstreamed Audio.

My latest problem is my 5.1 FLAC music. It's playing fine in every other program but it just won't play in XBMC unless I turn my output device in the system>Audio Output settings to DirectSound (Normally WASAPI to make bitstreaming work).

I googled around a bit and all I could find were other people with the same issue but no solutions as of yet. Anybody have any ideas? The general theme seemed to be "This is a bug", but that's what everyone says when they don't know how to fix something.

Edit: I'm unsure if this is related, but DTS CDs/DTS encoded wavs will go silent about 5 seconds before the end of a track and then must be paused and unpaused to get the next track to play - Doing this with 5.1 FLACS still doesn't play them).

Edit again: logs are showing this when I try to play a track:

13:59:20 T:2024 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: IsFormatSupported failed (AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT) - trying to find a compatible format
13:59:20 T:2024 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: Unable to locate a supported output format for the device. Check the speaker settings in the control panel.
13:59:20 T:2024 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: WASAPI initialization failed.
Thanks

Paddy
Sorry. Wrong thread.
(2013-03-02, 15:49)baijuxavior Wrote: Enable the option 'Use a full screen window rather than true full screen' under Settings>System>Video Output. Also set audio device to wasapi.

Both are already set, sorry =/

edit: hm, seems to play 5.1 flac OK if I have Audio output device set to directsound and play DTS HD/TrueHD when passthrough device is set to WASAPI, so I guess it's working.
Sorry. I posted this in the wrong thread. Please edit the quote to delete what I posted.
Hi PaddyMaxson.

Out of curiousness, I thought I'd test playing a 5.1 flac audio file on my system. I used the Mozart: Violin concerto in D major - Allegro surround 5.1 FLAC found on this page. You didn't mention how the files were encoded, so I went with something higher end and from a decent source.

I played the file without problem the entire way through. I also have another few files that also played all the way through without problem, consecutively. My system is setup as per my sig, and I'm running the release version of XBMC v12 (Frodo) via WASAPI. What's your setup? I'm presuming you're running Frodo since you mentioned bitstreaming.

You mention that DTS encoded wav's go silent before the end. Got me to thinking, do you have replaygain and/or crossfade enabled in the music playback settings? I have it turned off on mine. Might be worth a look.

Oh, my receiver doesn't decode FLAC, so XBMC is decoding it and sending it as PCM (of course). A debug log might be helpful, as well.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 FLAC Doesn't play0