Linux prebuilt HTPC/BOX installed with linux OS running XBMC.
Hi im new to this an could do with your help and advise please

Im planning on setting up a prebuilt HTPC/BOX installed with linux OS running XBMC.

Heres what im after from the set up...

* 1080p HD smooth play back (MKV'S mainly) from an external HDrive but from a NAS in the future.
* XBMC to run butter smooth
* Near Silent/quiet box

for the box I have got it down to a choice of the two ZOTAC boxes below, which will do the job best and give me the perfomance im after with regards to CPU,chipset and onboard video etc?

Is NVIDiA or AMD the way to go, or are both as capable as each other?

http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-ad04-plus.html

http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id80.html

As I only want this to boot XBMC for use soley as HTPC/BOX, which linux OS would be best?
I would like something faily light weight that runs XBMC butter smooth and requires no further tweaks after initial set up.

Additional advice and tips welcome!

PLEASE HELP! Thanks guys!
nvidia is the way to go, full stop, no competition!

xbmcbuntu should give you what you need. openelec is also favoured by many, but you can experiment with both and see what you like.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-03-09, 09:57)nickr Wrote: nvidia is the way to go, full stop, no competition!

Hi thanks for your quick reply!

So its definitley the Nvidia I take it. Ha

So with regards to the box,
I should go with the ZBOX ID80 then? http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id80.html
rather than the ZBOX AD04 http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-ad04-plus.html

Are you sure this will meet all my HTPC needs which I stated in my previous post?
Does any one else have a zotac zbox? are thet any good?

Only because Ive been burnt in the past! bought a Revo L80 Nettop and then realised I couldnt install Linux on it with any joy. Plus read on all the forums of others havig same problem, so sending it back to be replaced by one of the above boxes.

Any one else please feel free to answer and leave some advice also!

Cheers guys!
Yes the id80.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So if I go with the id80 what harddrive/ram would you suggest i install?
also can you give me a basic set up guide for getting started please?
Thanks.
I assume your media will be stored elsewhere, like a nas? Of so you need no more than, say, 40G hard drive - in fact an ssd would be quicker and quieter.

RAM - 4G will be more than you need.

Setup guide? Download xbmcbuntu nvidi iso. burn to cd or dvd or usb flash drive. boot. install. reboot. done.
Yes in the future I will be using a nas, but untill then an external harddrive for now.

So a 40g ssd is the way to go for running linux OS and XBMCbuntu?
Will a ssd save the changes I make in XBMC plus updates?

By the way is XBMCubuntu a better choice than open elec? which is easy to install?
and what type of 4g RAM do you recomend, can you post a link to it please?

Thanks fo all your help I will add to your reputation.
An ssd is just like a hard drive in functionality, but is quieter and quicker, so yes it will save your changes.

I prefer xbmcbuntu because i am familiar with ubuntu and it is not as locked down as openelec. But it is an individual choice. Try both, see which you prefer.

No expert on particular ram sorry, it doesn't have to be the most expensive speedy stuff.
Thanks...

That said, heres what Im thinking of using with the id80 http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id80.html

For the RAM 2 x = Price £20.oo each
Crucial 2GB DDR3 PC3-8500 Memory Module
Module Size: 2GB
Package: 204-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR3 1066MHz/PC3-8500
Specs: CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • 1.5V • 256Meg x 64

And for the ssd = Intel SSD 320 Series 40GB 2.5 inch 9.5mm SATA2 Solid State - Drive Price £85.oo each

If you look at the id80 link and check out its specs, is the hardware/memory ive chosen above compatable with it?
should I go ahead and buy them?

Thanks again.
Quote: 2 204-pin DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM slots

You should really check where you are buying the prices you listed seem way to high.

I can get a 4gb ram kit for like 27€.

The SSD is pretty bad I would recommend a samsung 830.

But if you are just using openelec you wont see a difference in boottime to a USB stick, because the system is so small that it cant utilize the fast access time of the SSD.
I would highly recommend looking into the intel NUC over anything made by zotac, i have 6 zotac's and 3 have failed. They are not that quiet, and the atom processor is extremely anemic. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856102002
HI Teko
So I could just keep my USB stick in the back of my Z BOX and boot from there each time rather than bothering with the SSD?

Thanks you have saved me some cash there!

So heres the hardware im looking at so far for my standalone HTPC running either XBMCUbuntu or OpenElec with XBMC on top...

Z BOX id80 - http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id80.html = £159.00

2x 2gb 204-pin DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM slots (ram kit for like £20.00) - Teko can you post link to show me where plz

4gb USB Stick plugged in back constantly. = £10.00

TOTAL = £189.00

Heres what im after from the set up...

* 1080p HD smooth play back (MKV'S mainly) from an external HDrive but from a NAS in the future.
* XBMC to run butter smooth
* Near Silent/quiet box
* Smooth streaming Media

Please let me know what you think of my set up above and wether it will give me what I need please?

Any additonal advise welcome!
We have seen your requirements before.

I can't comment on your RAM choice, look at the manufacturer' specs and what they recommend!

nvidia will play 1080p.

"Butter smooth" depends what theme you run, some run better than others.

Streaming media mainly depends on your internet speed. Obviously too what codec the website encodes in.
In that case what theme do you use or recomend I use?

I would like one which looks the business and runs smooth?

Thanks again!
I can't hold your hand that much. Try them all and see.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
prebuilt HTPC/BOX installed with linux OS running XBMC.0