Jynxbox Android HD Mini
I'm looking at these Jynxbox to replace my current old XBMC. I'm looking at the Jynxbox Android HD Mini. I like that its small and can just plug right into an HDMI port. It's also completely silent.

I use wi-fi currently because I don't like running wires, but I would like to know how well the wi-fi works. Also, how does the JB handle 1080p mkv files? Can the android port of XBMC run skins?

Jynxbox Setup Video

Jynxbox unboxing
Any follow up to this? Am considering the same thing for a few TV's as well. Thanks.
I have done a little searching and there is not much information about how it handles. It's fairy cheap and I may take a risk with it in the future. Not to get off topic, but the OUYA is a far more powerful machine and can do so much more. Although, it has a fan (which I'm trying to go fanless). It might be a standard fan easily replaced though (unlike my stupid revo 3610).

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a new machine that fits my needs.
Agreed. I wish there was a centralized thread or even website with the current best performing Android boxes and ROMS. If there already is, would love to know about it!
FWIW... I just this second ordered the Jynxbox Mini HD.

I'll let you know how it goes.

My current setup is:

NFS File Server / Main HTPC = Ion 330 build attached to 60" 3D Plasma (hardwired)
2 x Jailbroken ATV2s as frontend XBMC units on other tvs in the house (wifi)

1 ATV2 just crapped out... in other words, it updated itself to a non JB version. I'm tired of the hassle (Congrats apple, there goes my last device after a 15 year run of fanboyism)...

Looking forward to finally having 1080 on my other TVs!

Nothing like a 50" LCD only ever seeing 720...
thanks reallybigabe
Initial Impression... I ordered this on the 30th, only paid a couple of bucks for shipping, and UPS pulled into my driveway behind me yesterday. FAST. That's to a suburb outside Toronto.

Unboxing:

Solid device. A bit wider than I imagined from the pictures (MTF).
The box (like the images) indicate that there is a 'Motion RCU' remote within, and there is NOT. A little miffed. I rechecked the website, and the writing indicates its a plain remote, but the pictures say otherwise.

The AE is just a 'push-in' type. There's no screw or snap, but it seems snug enough for awhile. I don't foresee the greatest longetivity out of it though, especially if you have it extended. It seems like there is a fair bit of outwards pressure on it.
It came with a fair bit of stuff, you can find other reviews of the contents.

First Use:

Hardware

Basically, hardware is nice. It's all solidly built, but the remote has a bit of a flea-market feel when it comes to button feedback. It's a fairly solid click, vice todays modern soft buttons. Considering the arrows are used extensively, it actually makes for a fairly loud viewing experience, especially for someone not watching what you're doing and just hearing a lot of clicking. It's still minor.
Also, like I said, its a little wider than you would guess from the photos, so rather than the sleek idea of just plugging it into the back of my TV and running the IR extension cable, I had to use the included HDMI cable to extend it. I couldn't physically fit it, and another HDMI cable side by side. My TV has 2 at the back and 2 on the side, and I'm not making my TV look like it has a penis. Especially with a colour-changing light on the fishtank next to it, everytime I notice it turn yellow I'm going to laugh with my inner 10-year old for a few minutes.

Software

It came up with a nice 10' interface 'Setup wizard'. Fairly easy, and anything that needed configuring jumped out into the standard Vanilla android screen for said portion (i.e. wifi etc) HOWEVER, the remote and keyboard are a very clunky combination. It's what actually ended my use of it last night. The basic wizard finishes, and then drops out into a vanilla android home screen. The USB didn't recognize the mouse that I just pulled out of my TF700 Transformer and trying to type unbroadcasted SSIDs and WPA passphrases was a schmozzle.

Also, the wallpaper seemed quite grainy, even set at 1080p on both my 42" 240hz LCD and 50" LED. The Android resolution said 1280x720, but the TV said the input was 1080p. Not sure, but I'd stick with the android resolution. It wasn't nearly as nice as my TF700/MHL cable. Angry birds looked sharper with the two side-by-side... however, 1 is a Tegra 3 and the other is a.... who knows.

Another qualm with the software was that it was... for lack of a better term... very asian-y. Things like this just make me cringe on my gadgets. "Some sentence I can't remember.this is a new sentence." It probably won't bug other people, and I know I don't type properly but I hate reading poorly edited documents, especially on a large screen. It reminds me of 14-year olds on BBS systems.

I had a hell of a time getting a decent wifi connection and it's directly above my Access Point (10 feet, max). It would work great browsing (despite typing with the remote being about as easy as herding cats), but the FW update it downloaded took about half an hour. I have solid realistic 80Mbps (100 from my provider minus overhead and wifi) so unless it was a 20GB file thats a crappy speed.

Lastly, at install I said I was in Canada. Then I loaded my precious Play store account with tons of content and purchases on it, and am stuck at .... "Server Error: Retry". With no idea on how to fix it. I've tried clearing cache, wiping apps and reinstalling, disabling system apps, enabling system apps, and again, this is with a constant "Click Click Click Clickclickclick" on a crap-ass OnScreen Keyboard. I'm torqued. Will try a full software-system-reset tonight. I need my Play Store.

Playback:

Nil. Apparently there are fixes from some smart dudes out there, but my jump drive with some 720mkv files on it was very choppy. It has MxPlayer installed, and that played it great, but XBMC did not use Mplayer out of the box. If I just wanted the android OS to play videos, I'd have stuck with my tab. I want integration, or at least a 10' interface. I'm sure I'll find some launchers etc, but whatever backdoor weirdness they've got, its borked my Play Store so I can't try anything new yet.

Overall Impression: So-So.

I've still spent a lot less time dicking around than it took to get the atv working, but it's also nowhere near polished out of the box. I'm not quite ready to return it though, the tinkerer in me is determined. I understand early adoption, but this is definitely still a first-gen beta product. Don't recommend it to grandma or uncle lester just yet.

If anyone wants to point any fixes or workarounds out, let me know. If I find any, I'll return.
Haha "asian-y"...

Thanks for the great review. XBMC for android is still very new and is going to take some time to become stable. It just shows that you get what you pay for. And I know about the miss-leading Motion RCU claim. That's why I found the unboxing video because they make it sound like you get the same remote as the Jynx HD box.
Ya... I tend to rush demo headfirst with my toys... But in 3 months I'll be telling time with a pebble, gaming on the ouya, watching criminal minds and game is of thrones on the jynxbox mini!

For follow up I've had two issues cleared up and another come forth.

So, play store was fixed after a wipe and data wipe.
Second mouse made things MUCH easier.
TV launcher ($2.99) is pretty usable, except it makes ugly icons.

I'm still reconfiguring my network to run off SQL converting my server from warp Ubuntu. Slow process but I've yet to test video.

HOWEVER, after a reset.... no XBMC. It gets wiped. Also, to re download it you need an SD card. In fact, you need an SD card to do anything, . So... Night #2

Oh, and the recovery file says "AnROID". It's missing the D.
(2013-04-04, 03:53)reallybigabe Wrote: Ya... I tend to rush demo headfirst with my toys... But in 3 months I'll be telling time with a pebble, gaming on the ouya, watching criminal minds and game is of thrones on the jynxbox mini!

For follow up I've had two issues cleared up and another come forth.

So, play store was fixed after a wipe and data wipe.
Second mouse made things MUCH easier.
TV launcher ($2.99) is pretty usable, except it makes ugly icons.

I'm still reconfiguring my network to run off SQL converting my server from warp Ubuntu. Slow process but I've yet to test video.

HOWEVER, after a reset.... no XBMC. It gets wiped. Also, to re download it you need an SD card. In fact, you need an SD card to do anything, . So... Night #2

Oh, and the recovery file says "AnROID". It's missing the D.

There is a firmware update available for this unit that will fix some of the bugs. You might want to update it.
Great review. Will be interested to see how this progresses. Please keep us posted. Should be some chipset ROMS out there that may work better than the default. Feel like there are a lot of Am logic M3 sticks/boxes out there that should be compatible, I guess it's just a question of degree.
Found it for you....

Latest Jynxbox Android HD mini firmware:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7pspag9kiyxle...130122.img is SPI

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2b5w6b0veepsv1...130124.img is the firmware link,please upgrade SPI and then upgrade firmware.

Seems to fix some problems. Please report back
Phat, These are both dated January.

I'm using the March 5th Hiolux firmware from xbmcandroid.
It's fixed a lot of little things. I'm still very tempted to return this only for the non mini version. Just for the storage and gyro remote for only $30 more. Two things that you require to buy for this device and they come stock.
This firmware is for the mini ONLY. Its from early March. This has been tested to fix the wifi and reboot issues that were reported.
As far as XBMC is concerned. I suggest you try one of these Hardware accelerated versions of XBMC:

Here are some versions with Hardware Acceleration for the Jynxbox:

http://megaload.it/kf015mon9su1 Megaload link

http://www.4shared.com/zip/dkuTfhL9/xbmc...-2013.html 4shared link

http://depositfiles.com/files/l6limcu8a DepositFiles link

This one seems to have an issue with installing certain add-ons from the network. 1080p playback and streaming from LAN and/or internet is working well.

Here is the version from the Gbox modified to work on the Jynxbox. Not mine but I found it on some other forums.

http://depositfiles.com/files/3fh6px15q Deposit files link

http://megaload.it/5w706qi6i5zu Megaload link

http://www.4shared.com/rar/gUYKJ-c1/JB_HWACC.html 4shared Link

Either way the Jynxbox is based on the M3 that uses the AML player. XBMC now (almost) fully supports it in the main source code thanks to the work done with by XBMC/Pivos. What I can tell you is that playback and time stamping seems excellent. Excellent work from those involved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jynxbox Android HD Mini0