How do you get a list of files in a folder
I've search google and this forum for the answer, but found nothing. I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered.

I'm learning python, and am trying to create some add-ons for xbmc. In my settings, there is an option to set the HDHomeRun UPnP folder, which is working correctly. I can successfully get the upnp://[address] from the settings and it returns the correct value.

The question I have is:
how do you retrieve the list of files/streams w/in this folder?

Calling the following method, shown below, brings up the list of streams I want in a dialog, so I'm sure there has to be a way to retrieve this data in python.
xbmcgui.Dialog().browse(1, '', 'video', '.strm')

Thanks in advance,
Gunjan
give this a shot:
Code:
dirs, files = xbmcvfs.listdir(path)

see: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs...l#-listdir
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I tried that already. I wasn't calling it right, so I was hoping that was the reason why it wasn't working. I was only doing the files = xbmcvfs.listdir(path) not "folders, files = ..."

I'll post the code and log for my hello world add-on.

Code:
# Get the HD Homerun UPnP address
url = utils.getSetting('hdhomerun_folder')
utils.log("URL: " + url)

# Parse the files in the hdhomerun folder
folders, files = xbmcvfs.listdir(url)
if files is not None:
utils.log("Parsing the files. Total found: ", len(files))
for file in files:
utils.log(file)

# Ensure it ends w/ 'Cable TV'
if(not url.endswith("Cable TV/")):
url += "Cable TV/"
utils.log("URL Updated: " + url)

# Parse the files in the hdhomerun folder
folders, files = xbmcvfs.listdir(url)
if files is not None:
utils.log("Parsing the files. Total found: ", len(files))
for file in files:
utils.log(file)

Log:
20:25:46 T:860 NOTICE: service.tvguide.hdhomerun: Hello World!!!
20:25:46 T:860 NOTICE: service.tvguide.hdhomerun: URL: upnp://938319DE-1113-38E4-8D72-B0AFFAED2C92/
20:25:51 T:860 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting upnp://938319DE-1113-38E4-8D72-B0AFFAED2C92/
20:25:51 T:860 NOTICE: service.tvguide.hdhomerun: URL Updated: upnp://938319DE-1113-38E4-8D72-B0AFFAED2C92/Cable TV/
20:25:51 T:860 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting upnp://938319DE-1113-38E4-8D72-B0AFFAED2C92/Cable TV/
I read somewhere that xbmcvfs only works with local, SMB, NFS and AFP paths.

Also, it's safer to use
Code:
os.path.join(url, "Cable TV")
instead of
Code:
url += "Cable TV/"
(2013-03-16, 14:33)Anthirian Wrote: I read somewhere that xbmcvfs only works with local, SMB, NFS and AFP paths.

Also, it's safer to use
Code:
os.path.join(url, "Cable TV")
instead of
Code:
url += "Cable TV/"

Thanks, and that's good to know. I'm still trying learning python. Any tips are helpful.

Does anyone know where the xbmcgui.py scripts are generated in the c code? My background is in c and c++, but just need a starting point.
Submitted a push request to allow the xbmcvfs.listdir([url]) method to return upnp://[address] files. I hope it gets pushed through.
It would also be nice to have that functionality in other parts of the module. Maybe if it is merged you could also add that? At the moment I don't need it, but there will eventually be people that want to, especially since Gotham focuses largely on UPnP playback.
I removed the push request. This has been fixed in a prior code update which is available in the nightly build as of now, but not in the current Frodo release.

I posted my extension for the tv guide addon in this thread.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you get a list of files in a folder1