Will XBMC run on the Asus VivoTab Smart (Windows 8 tablet with Atom processor)
Hey guys. XBMC is the greatest thing ever made.. period, so I'm thinking about getting the new Asus VivoTab Smart which runs a full x86 Windows 8 on an Atom processor and I want to know if you can install XBMC on it, and more importantly if it runs well.

Thanks in advance.
Well just installed it on my asus and sadly video playback is poor I get a white screen don't know why I would think it would run fine like on my ipad don't know why does not run on this tablet and cant get any answers
Great tablet! battery life is great. sadly It's a dxva thing. If you turn it off, video looks good but stutters bad. It's probably an intel thing. I have this tablet, ASUS have not released any driver updates at all... Support for the tablet is almost non existent, so you're on your own when you buy it.

However, MPC-HC will play 1080p back fine on this tablet providing you use the microsoft DVD renderer in the settings.

XBMC on windows tablets don't mix at all, navigation is terrible and you cannot exit fullscreen video without a keyboard. after a while of trying to get it working I wondered why the hell I even wanted xbmc on my tablet anyway...

Hope this helps.

Loggio.
Hey thanks that did the trick plays fine now without problems but is true what you say does need keyboard or a mouse to close the video but at least it works thanks.
I have it running on a MS Surface Pro first generation running win 8.1 update 1 and xbmc works great. No issues at all.
Does that sport the same hardware and drivers? If not - I don't mean to sound harsh, but its really not relevant to this thread.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
To be fair, an old i5 mobile, is definitely in the same ball park as the newer atoms.

The bay trails inside the t100 for example, actually beat the many of the i5 iteration in many benches.
Granted the atom mentioned above is the previous iteration (not bay trail), however, there isn't a life changing amount between them, and he was only trying to be nice and helpful, "don't be a douchebag" toward him man check the specks out yourself Wink Tongue
(2014-06-25, 16:40)DerekCuster Wrote: To be fair, an old i5 mobile, is definitely in the same ball park as the newer atoms.

The bay trails inside the t100 for example, actually beat the many of the i5 iteration in many benches.
Granted the atom mentioned above is the previous iteration (not bay trail), however, there isn't a life changing amount between them, and he was only trying to be nice and helpful, "don't be a douchebag" toward him man check the specks out yourself Wink Tongue

This wasn't about general performance and "generic" benchmarks, DerekCuster, please misunderstand me right. The reason I asked, is due to hardware rendering support, broken such, or lack thereof. There's plenty of ooold CPUs that can outrun, for instance, a BayTrail Celeron - in terms of raw processing power. But this DXVA issue pertains to hardware acceleration support - which is proven by the fact that it runs (like crap but) technically fine using "Software rendering". The user posted a reply on a topic pertaining to a very specific device, even specified so in the thread Topic. Posting confirming or debunking replies regarding a completely different unit, it would be normal etiquette to supply hardware specs.

I will, however, take your 'douchebag' advice, in regards Wink

For the Asus VivoTab Smart (Intel Atom Z2760) see CPU datasheet page 16 - paragraph 1.7 (and 1.7.2) :
If Asus have "the full package" or a reduced/enhanced edition of the Atom Z2760 - is beyond my knowledge.

What you might want to look at - is compiling XBMC with an external version of FFmpeg that is known to work with this particular unit, and XBMC - or getting XBMC to use a different decoder than FFmpeg (if this is even possible). Somehow get it to decode using the Microsoft DVD video renderer. Intel-driven tablets and FFmpeg have a history of troubled relationships - although sloppy drivers from Intel haven't really done its part to remedy this.

Also, try WASAPI for audio output, preferrable without Realtek audio drivers (if any). Don't know how this is relevant, just remember someone mentioning it. Worth a shot.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will XBMC run on the Asus VivoTab Smart (Windows 8 tablet with Atom processor)0