Mac Mini+XBMC.. what IR remote?
(2013-03-22, 17:22)Beano Wrote: Since I'm not experiencing the same amount of lag with "plain" Apple IR codes from the Harmony (or any other device) I assume it's related to the Plex codes.
That would be my assumption too. I too use(d) a Harmony 900 (together with Flirc) and had no noticeable lag. I have now switched to Roomie which allows me to control all devices using any iOS device. It works well but I still find myself going for the hard buttons of the Harmony from time to time.
(2013-03-24, 02:17)Korey Wrote: [quote='aerick79' pid='1375335' dateline='1364052904']
I have a quick questions. Just bought the base level mac mini running XBMC 12.1 I also have the Harmony One remote now My plan is that I want to add a macro or a sequences that I can shut down the mac or open certain apps. is there such an applications that i can set this up?

If this has been covered, I did do a search. but didn't find anything

Thanks

I have been using FastScripts for some time and it works flawlessly. It is free for the first ten or so scripts (I only use three scripts: start XBMC, sleep MacMini, and Shutdown Mac).
(2013-03-24, 13:07)jopie Wrote:
(2013-03-24, 02:17)Korey Wrote: [quote='aerick79' pid='1375335' dateline='1364052904']
I have a quick questions. Just bought the base level mac mini running XBMC 12.1 I also have the Harmony One remote now My plan is that I want to add a macro or a sequences that I can shut down the mac or open certain apps. is there such an applications that i can set this up?

If this has been covered, I did do a search. but didn't find anything

Thanks

I have been using FastScripts for some time and it works flawlessly. It is free for the first ten or so scripts (I only use three scripts: start XBMC, sleep MacMini, and Shutdown Mac).

Thanks for the input. I did look at the app, I didn't see how you would be able to use that app to work with my Harmony One remote. All I want to do is have the remote do all the macros, to shut down mac sleep and what not.

Update: I think I just found it. There is an app called Remote buddy.
http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/

Looks epic, Anybody use this app yet?
(2013-03-24, 14:18)aerick79 Wrote: Update: I think I just found it. There is an app called Remote buddy.

Yes I have been using it for several years on a Mac Mini with XBMC and Logitech's PS3 BT remote adaptor via a Harmony remote. Works very well and flexible. The reason I'm looking for a better solution (like Flirc) is the lag Logitech's PS3 BT adaptor introduce and the constant disconnects the device does, but the Remote Buddy software works great and highly recommended.
Thanks for the info. I did try the Trial it is nice.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I did look at the app, I didn't see how you would be able to use that app to work with my Harmony One remote. All I want to do is have the remote do all the macros, to shut down mac sleep and what not.
[/quote]

Sorry, no experience with the Harmony One, I use Fastscripts with a Harmony 900 (and Flirc).
(2013-03-25, 09:25)Beano Wrote:
(2013-03-24, 14:18)aerick79 Wrote: Update: I think I just found it. There is an app called Remote buddy.

Yes I have been using it for several years on a Mac Mini with XBMC and Logitech's PS3 BT remote adaptor via a Harmony remote. Works very well and flexible. The reason I'm looking for a better solution (like Flirc) is the lag Logitech's PS3 BT adaptor introduce and the constant disconnects the device does, but the Remote Buddy software works great and highly recommended.

Call me stupid but what do you need the bluetooth adapter for, aren't all Harmony remotes infrared?
(2013-03-27, 12:00)toiva Wrote: Call me stupid but what do you need the bluetooth adapter for, aren't all Harmony remotes infrared?

The adaptor translates IR codes (from the Harmony remote) into BT which is paired with the Mac Mini as a PS3 remote control (bluetooth). I never found a native IR receiver which worked with Mac Mini and offered more than 6-7 buttons.

The adaptor:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/5732?crid=1052
I know what it does, but don't all Minis released within few years have builtin ir receiver, why would you make it more complicated by using a bt adapter? So you are saying Remote Buddy captures these BT commands and translates to XBMC actions?

Like already said, you can use the builtin Mini IR receiver, add "Plex Player" profile to Harmony, set XBMC to multiremote mode and you will have as many buttons as you will ever need. Then configure your AppleTV remote not to overlap with Harmony and you're all set.

I have used my Harmony One with several HTPC's and other pieces of equipment, including the Logitech BT adapter with a PS3. The lag is always there, it's the remote that is causing it.
(2013-03-27, 12:18)toiva Wrote: I know what it does, but don't all Minis released within few years have builtin ir receiver, why would you make it more complicated by using a bt adapter? So you are saying Remote Buddy captures these BT commands and translates to XBMC actions?

Like already said, you can use the builtin Mini IR receiver, add "Plex Player" profile to Harmony, set XBMC to multiremote mode and you will have as many buttons as you will ever need. Then configure your AppleTV remote not to overlap with Harmony and you're all set.

And as I said earlier - using the Plex/Harmony profile results in terrible lag.
Using the built-in IR reciever, I can either choose to only have a few (6-7) buttons mappable OR use the Plex/Harmony profile which has horrible lag.
That's why I'm looking for a better solution and looking into Flirc.

(2013-03-27, 12:18)toiva Wrote: I have used my Harmony One with several HTPC's and other pieces of equipment, including the Logitech BT adapter with a PS3. The lag is always there, it's the remote that is causing it.

No - I don't experience the same amount of lag with other equipment and IR profiles. There is lag with the Logitech BT adaptor but it's worse with the Plex/Harmony profile.
If i recall right there are several Plex profiles in the Harmony database, Plex Player is the correct one, other profiles might introduce additional lag, who knows. After that you need to configure the device profile interkey delay to around 100 and repeats to 0 or 1. Those are the fastest settings i have found and it's far from fast but the lag is tolerable.
Ok thanks. I can't remember which Plex profile I used (just selected the default one) but tried inter-key delay 0 and 100. May try to give it another go while I wait for my Flirc Smile
Repeats setting is way too high by default, 3 i think. It's under troubleshooting wizard.
Yes, I will try it out. Thanks.
I tried the changes and it was a success - works far better now Big Grin

There is a bit lag still but acceptable now.

Only function I miss is "toggle application fullscreen" but I think that can be done with a a bit of keymap file editing (joystick.Harmony.xml?).

I nice surprise to find a short cut for favorites pop-up also Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini+XBMC.. what IR remote?0