best cheap htpc for xbmc?
I want to build a cheap htpc for about $100. I know my price tag is to low but hear me out. I use xbmc to run live streams and play on demand content from addons.
I don't need a fancy set up with a ton of power and I will not need to connect to a nas or install a massive hardrive to play my own movie collection.
I just want to build something as minimal as possible. I know about the rasberry pi and it is not fast enough for me and by fast I mean the gui runs sluggish .
I just want something that will run xbmc (without being sluggish), have hdmi output, wifi and Ethernet capabilities.

Does anyone have suggestions? If possible i would prefer to run windows but its not a deal breaker if its a non windows machine.
There is a dedicate forum for this.

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112
Maybe the Ouya when it comes out in June...$99
(2013-04-01, 04:35)azrael17 Wrote: Maybe the Ouya when it comes out in June...$99
he wants windows, otherwise there are probably a few arm boxes that fit the bill...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
$100 is totally doable even for a desktop type HTPC (x86), if you have some spare parts. A very well performing Celeron and motherboard can be had for under $80, add RAM, and a spare HDD or a USB thumb drive. Even if you had to also buy the case and powersupply, it's possible to keep the price under $150.

The ARM options, like Ouya, Pivos XIOS, and even the Game Stick, all look good and are at or near $100. Stuff like the Gbox, I would be cautious about, but even those guys will probably "get there" soon. There are some others that I hear are fairly decent too, but I haven't read much about them.
Also something like an ex lease hp dc7100 with a low profile nvidia graphics card makes avery cheap machine. Works fine for mythfrontend or xbmc under linux, woyld probably do windows.
@ned Scott I have the Gbox but it is not "there yet". To many bugs to give the user and good viewing experience.

I wish i was a little more tech savvy to make my own HTPC that is not that big. I mean i don't get the computer market. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can find a cheesy netbook for less than a couple of hundred dollars online but all you get with that kind of cash in the "HTPC world" is a barebone system. I mean come on! You would think for $100 you would be able to get a pretty decent HTPC hassle free. Believe me I'm not trying to be cheap but I don't think buying an expensive HTPC is worth it. Especially for what I need it for. If I was a crazy movie buff and had time to watch a lot of movies then yea i would buck up and pay because at that point it would be worth it for me.
The only really important component is the graphics chip. Everything else can be done in a relatively low power CPU like an atom.

I am not sure where in the world you are or what sort of $ you are discussing, but I have built an HTPC for NZ$150 approx with the kit I describe in post #6. Hardware is way more in NZ$ than US$ so I would be surprised if you can't get something for $100 along those lines.

Alternatively, any ION2 nettop will also do the trick.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@nickr I live in the USA. Which ION2 would you recommend for my needs?
(2013-04-02, 04:52)nickr Wrote: The only really important component is the graphics chip. Everything else can be done in a relatively low power CPU like an atom.

I am not sure where in the world you are or what sort of $ you are discussing, but I have built an HTPC for NZ$150 approx with the kit I describe in post #6. Hardware is way more in NZ$ than US$ so I would be surprised if you can't get something for $100 along those lines.

Alternatively, any ION2 nettop will also do the trick.

Unless he intends to watch Hi10p Animation (AKA 10-bit anime).
True, but no one has mentioned that in this thread so far.
The biggest file i will play will be 720p but most stream will not even be hd
I am using a ASROCK ION 3D computer and are very satisfies. I have two of them.
(2013-04-02, 08:21)Penge58 Wrote: I am using a ASROCK ION 3D computer and are very satisfies. I have two of them.

These look good - but are pretty expensive (here in Australia). They vary from about $350 - $500.
If the majority of stuff you'll be playing is not more than 720p, will a raspberry pi with Raspbmc not do the trick?
Living Room | Openelec | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Man Room | Windows 7 x64 | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Roaming | iPad 2 | Re-Touched Skin
Storage | WD MyCloud 3TB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best cheap htpc for xbmc?0