Please evaluate my current HTPC
Hi guys

For a long time I was determined to buy a Zbox id83 but after my delivery has been postponed 3 times making it 2 months of waiting I'm tired of it so I cancelled the order.
Since I'm not really using my stationary computer for gaming etc. at the moment (Married and just became a dad) my priorities will have to be somewhere else Smile

Therefore I am thinking of moving my stationary computing components into a smaller cabinet say for example silverstone, I don't know yet.
I will appreciate a lot to hear what you think before I start the process.
My wish is to playback full blurays with HD audio. I consider myself as GROUP 6 not 7 yet.

It consists of the following:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945

RAM: 4 GB Dual-channel DDR3 at 668 Mhz

Motherboard: Micro-Star International CO, LTD 770-C45 (MS-7599)

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5800

As far as I understand the graphics card supports 5.1 HD audio Huh
I already bought a SSD card on which I will install WIN7 with xbmc

I understand that I eventually will have to upgrade further on but I wanna hear what you think of it at the moment?
If you truly have higher priorities (and congrats on the new baby),....why not use your existing build,...temporarily.
Install the SSD,...load Win7,..XBMC,....and give it a full test run.
Sounds like you'd need to buy a BD-ROM.
This one LG Electronics 14x Internal BDXL Blu-Ray Burner Rewriter is not bad at less than $70

This will help you see where your existing build has problems,...if any at all.
Sure, it'd be nice to have a smaller and prettier case,..but why go crazy right now.
Then, once you get some pocket change,...splurge on a nice case and whatever other components you need.

Usually when a wife sees that you're putting her and the baby first,..they usually break down and tell you "treat yourself" later on.
(2013-04-04, 12:29)mjmusicianmj Wrote: Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5800

As far as I understand the graphics card supports 5.1 HD audio Huh
I already bought a SSD card on which I will install WIN7 with xbmc
If you are bitstreaming audio to AVR for decoding, it'll support all available audio channels....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for the reply !!

I forgot to mention that - I already got a BD-ROM Smile

I haven't tried the big 50gb blu ray discs yet but I tried Mortal Kombat which was approx. 20 gb and it ran good Smile
I will not go all too fancy about a cabinet but would be nice to get it so it would fit into my TV desk Smile
I assume what has to be upgraded eventually are the RAM.
(2013-04-04, 18:16)mjmusicianmj Wrote: I haven't tried the big 50gb blu ray discs yet but I tried Mortal Kombat which was approx. 20 gb and it ran good Smile
You shouldn't have any problem playback 50gb BD. I can playback Avatar "over 40gb" BD using my HD5570 card with ease. 4gb of ram is plenty for Windows+Frodo...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please evaluate my current HTPC0