moving an huge movie folder to a new location
So here is my situation:

I store my recent movies on my HTPC (1tb drive).
Once the drive is full i move all the movies to my NAS (16tb)

Right now my 1tb drive is full (400+ movies) and i need to move it to my NAS. But a lot of movies were initially scanned with the wrong movie so i had to manually rescan it to the correct movie and i don't want to do it again. I also don't want to lose the watched status of each movies.

So is there a simple way i can move the folder to my NAS without losing watched status and scanned infos ?
The easiest way is to export as multiple files, then add to advancedsettings.xml the import watched tag, then scan them back in as if they were a new source and then clean library.

This is what you want for advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
     <videolibrary>
          <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
     </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

There's some other methods too, like path subs (wiki) (this can get messy, so I would avoid it), and updating paths using an SQL database editing tool. I don't have links handy for those at the moment (my mind is kind of hazy right now, been up all night, haha).
Not sure if i understand... how will i export as multiple files ?

Also like i said, in this folder sometimes the movies were scanned wrongly - for example a movie released this month was scanned as a movie released 30 years ago so i had to manually scan it to the correct movie to get the correct infos.
I am worried about losing those infos if i move my folder to the NAS. Will i have to rescan all movies that were incorrectly scanned ?

Isn't there a simple way to just edit the movie library and do a search & replace to replace the path of this folder with the new path on my NAS ? Is there a XML file with all the infos of the scanned movies ?
Settings -> Videos -> Library -> Export (wiki)

That will generate .nfo files along side the media with exactly what you have in your library for that file now, including watched status. So when XBMC re-scans the files in, it will look for NFO (wiki) files and use that info instead of re-downloading the data.

You can also export as "single file" in the export option and then use a find/replace tool on the .xml file it generates (just open it up in a text editor). Then you would use import to add the info back in.

You'll want to "clean library" in the video settings to get ride of the old locations for either method.
So if i understand correctly, it will generate a NFO file inside each folder for each movies. The NFO file will include the watched status and the scanned infos so if i had to manually scan the movie because the name was incorrect the infos will be saved.

Then once i move the folder it will get scanned again but XBMC will take the infos from the NFO files so basically i just have th generate the NFO files and then move the folders and i don't have anything else to do ?

Sorry i just want to make sure i understand everything correctly i don't want to lose the infos for 400+ movies
Correct. Even without moving movies, generating the NFO files is a great way to backup all that hard work you've done on the library.
What if a nfo file already exists ? XBMC will replace it ?
Yes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
moving an huge movie folder to a new location1