Does resoultion matter?
Hi,
I have xbmc connected to a plasma tv with low resolution, something like 884x480 I think.
Does it matter which resolution I choose for xbmc or should I just opt for it to have the same aspect ratio?

thanks
You should choose the max resolution supported by TV and machine connected to it.

uNi
(2013-04-08, 09:58)uNiversal Wrote: You should choose the max resolution supported by TV and machine connected to it.

uNi

Xbmc does not have this resolution.
Perhaps it would help if you explained how you are connecting to TV, HDMI or other, Your OS on machine running XBMC etc. What GPU etc instead of posting vague information.

uNi
I'm connecting a win8 pc to a plasma screen via hdmi. I'm using the onboard gpu.
Yes onboard gpu.... what is it? Wait dont answer that, Its like pulling teeth trying to help you. maybe someone else would care to take it from here.

To answer your question about does resolution matter? Yes it does for playback really for the UI its important but not as important as it is for playback and the two are invariable tied to each other. Look at your drivers and providing meaningful information to enable someone to help.

Good luck.

uNi
(2013-04-08, 10:57)LRa Wrote: I'm connecting a win8 pc to a plasma screen via hdmi. I'm using the onboard gpu.

You have an EDTV - download powerstrip and manually add the supplied EDTV resolution as a custom resolution.
The MB is GA-73PVM-S2H so the chipset is NVIDIA CineFX 3.0.

Does it matter aspect ratio wise or more than that?

With powerstrip I can add a custom resolution to xbmc?
(2013-04-08, 11:55)LRa Wrote: With powerstrip I can add a custom resolution to xbmc?

Yeah that's what it will do. I had the same problem with my EDTV. Windows would not properly read the EDID information from it and only gave me the basic HDTV resolutions.

To resolve, download Powerstrip - click "Advanced Timing" then on the list of custom resolutions select the EDTV resolution. Reboot your computer. Upon reboot, XBMC will now have that new resolution available as a selectable option.

Hang on to that TV... Wink They never should have stopped making them.
Great. Works like a charm.
Well I don't know why but for some reason the resolution i added 852x480 and the closest existing 848x480 which worked, stopped working. I get a black screen on the tv. All other resolutions work.

Any ideas?
(2013-04-08, 19:50)LRa Wrote: Well I don't know why but for some reason the resolution i added 852x480 and the closest existing 848x480 which worked, stopped working. I get a black screen on the tv. All other resolutions work.

Any ideas?

Make powerstrip run at startup - Right-click the power strip icon in the task bar and click "Options," then select "Preferences."

Click to put a check in both the "Auto-load with Windows" and "Restore Settings on Startup" checkboxes - Restart the computer and you should be good to go.
Doesn't seem to get the job done.
Does having Catalyst control center work has anything to do with this?
(2013-04-08, 20:54)LRa Wrote: Doesn't seem to get the job done.
Does having Catalyst control center work has anything to do with this?

Possible..you could try preventing it from starting at logon to narrow it down.

There's multiple EDTV resolutions you can try - when you're in the Custom Resolutions dialog - click the "E-DID" radio button and see if it pulls the correct resolution information.

You posted on the OP - that the resolution was 884x480 -- I think you're mistaken - but if you're sure - you can use the 864x480p (Sony) custom resolution as a template and just change the 864 to 884 and save it.
I was mistaken, the resolution is 852x480. E-DID dosen't pull the right resolution.
Disabling CCC didn't help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does resoultion matter?0