Solved OwnCloud accessed by XBMC?
Question 
Have anyone a good set-up or solution of how XBMC can connect to a folder managed by a user in owncloud. I have tried and unfortunately I am not too confident in WebServers nor user privilege in Linux (Mint/Ubuntu), not as of yet at least. :-)

I have:

1. Tried to connect with WebDav - the question is if the built in WebDav can stream media, or if Webdav in general can't. (if not what other solution can be applied)? Something called Ampache is mentioned but not use in XBMC, OR?

2. Tried to connect with SMB and tried given out access/privileges to folders where data is stored, but in some way it reverts back or mess up the privilege in one way or another. Could I come in the "back way" and use privilege of the OwnCloud user to manage files.

3. Read every ware about it but the solutions I find is a "tad" over my head and involves a great deal of programming skills.

I would love to manage all my media from one place with all devices I have and the OwnCloud works perfect for that, except from streaming media at least that a newbie like me can figure out.

Thank's in advance,
Not sure exactly what Ampache is (google said it's some kind of combo of Apache web server and a music server). WebDav should work in XBMC, and should be able to stream media just fine if your internet connection is fast enough (on both server and client ends).

Are you able to add a WebDav folder/source in XBMC and it's just not playing, or are you trying to figure out the proper way to add a WebDav folder/source in XBMC?
Thanks for your reply Ned, Ampache is included in the Owncloud as an option to stream media but I can't get my head around it and how it is done, and it works just with music on compatible players according to the documentation.

I am able to add a WebDav folder in XBMC and it works with well pictures but wont stream music or movies of any kind, I have the same problem when I "connect to a Server" in Ubuntu's file manager over WebDav (as well in the included web streaming sofware (add-on)) it wont stream, I am only able to download the file, not play it. So I am guessing that the problem has to do my server itself if it is possible to stream in WebDav.
HI,

I´m in the same situation. I love my XBMC installation in my living room and I´d like to add content coming from my owncloud account. Sadly to say I´m not a developer. And showing the pictures would be enough for the beginning. But adding a WebDav connection in XBMC is only a short term solution because later (in 5.x) encryption will be added to Owncloud so it would be hard to access encrypted content by WebDav.

There exists some owncloud clients for Mac OS X, Linux and Windows - maybee this could be a start to embedd it in XBMC...

br, Gregor
Thanks Gregor,

Hopefully in a near future a permanent solution is made by some smart guy. I did actually manage to figure out a way to do it and even if I have not made a bigger test (had to start working away from home before I could) I got it to work by mounting a local storage in owncloud to folders on the same server. I made those folders samba shares that I used to connect with XBMC. Every thing I uploaded to those folder trough owncloud worked, going to continue testing in a few weeks time.

The problems with the computer clients is that it is just a sync, the files have to be stored on both the server and the client computer, not what I need as I intend to store everything I have (and are going to get) on one server to stream it to all my devices at home, to many actually,laptop,tablet, phone and a desktop.

Please let me know if you try, but be aware, got in to all sorts of permission issues during my tries before I got it right, just a test setup anyway so it didn't worry me to much!

Cheers,
Jonas
Wink 
I have managed to get this working to Stream Videos from OwnCloud and I thought I would share it with you :

Go to Videos -> Files and Click 'Add Files'
in the Add Video Source Box - Select 'Browse'
Scroll Down to 'Add Network Location'
Select 'WebDav Server (HTTP)' from the list
in Server Address - add the web address for your OwnCloud Server (i.e. www.mydomain.com/owncloud)
Enter your Username and Password

The rest is self explanatory

Hope this helps
Alternatively follow the instructions here http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/user_...files.html and add the mountpoint as a video source.
I put together an alternative way to access your ownCloud media in XBMC: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189856

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OwnCloud accessed by XBMC?0