PLEASE HELP! Wanting custom built HTPC
Hi i'm wanting help on getting a HTPC built.
It will only be used to Play/store all my movies.
I have cat6 ports installed in 3 rooms,i want to stream and access the content on the HTPC from those other rooms.
I am new to this HTPC stuff and don't know a hell of alot about computers, I will be getting someone to build this for me, just don't know what parts etc.
Here's what i'm wanting to do.
Windows with XBMC
HDTV possess HDMI ports
play SD movies (DivX, XviD)
DVD movies
play 720P movies
play 1080P movies
stream 1080P content
stream 1080P online movies
play Steam Big Picture
Bluray Burner/ripper

I plan to have this in my theatre room connected to my Home theatre Amp, not sure what the best way to access and stream content to the other rooms?? (not WIFI)

Would really appreciate any help,
thanks Jimmy
I have cat6 ports installed in 3 rooms,i want to stream and access the content on the HTPC from those other rooms.
I am new to this HTPC stuff and don't know a hell of alot about computers, I will be getting someone to build this for me, just don't know what parts etc.
Windows with XBMC
HDTV possess HDMI ports
DVD movies
play 720P movies
play 1080P movies
stream 1080P content
play Steam Big Picture
Bluray Burner/ripper

I plan to have this in my theatre room connected to my Home theatre Amp, not sure what the best way to access and stream content to the other rooms?? (not WIFI)

thanks Jimmy
Windows with XBMC
HDTV possess HDMI ports
DVD movies
play 720P movies
play 1080P movies
stream 1080P content
play Steam Big Picture
Bluray Burner/ripper

thanks Jimmy
Just some friendly advise, you may want to refer to section 1.3.6 of the forum rules. Posting the same thing in 3 sections isn't going to make you any friends here...

That being said, there are many ways to accomplish what you want to do. I have a central linux server that stores all of my content. A HTPC in the family room for main viewing which is essentially my HD theater. I also have some 1st Gen AppleTV's in other rooms where I don't need lossless audio.

To be brutally honest and save you some grief - More than likely, nobody here is going to design the whole thing for you. There are, however, plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people here that are more than happy to help you along the way. Do some serious searching/reading on here, form a plan and then ask us to shoot holes in it. After a few swiss cheesed ideas, you'll have a great plan that will fit your needs that you can really feel good about moving forward and learn more about this stuff than you probably ever wanted to know. Wink
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
What's your budget? You could always go with the Intel NUC if you don't have any issue with the whole 24fps/23.97fps thing. If you don't know about it then you prob won't care. Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Computing-Gi...B0093LINVK

All you need is a harddrive mSATA (Mobile SATA card via full-length PCIe Mini Card) SSD, memory and a power cord (mickey mouse plug?).
What you are looking for is a server with all your media on and an HTPC in each of your 3 rooms. Each HTPC will run XBMC and will connect to the TV via HDMI and the server via the cat6 ethernet.

The server can run any server OS you like, but linux or freenas are both cheaper than windows. It can also double as an XBMC machine.

The XBMC machines can run windows or linux or OSX or can be android machines, but again windows costs money that you can otherwise spend on the system.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Are you looking for someone to build it or are you asking for the parts so you can tell someone you already know to build it for you?
Threads merged. Please do not cross-post (see Forum rules (wiki)).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PLEASE HELP! Wanting custom built HTPC0