TV with XBMC built in ?
With smart TV's becoming more and more abundant, how long do you think it will be before we will see TV's with XBMC built in, if ever?
As soon as we get either the AppleTV (which has been rumoured for years now) or a TV which runs Android Wink
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

If XBMC can be mounted in an HDMI stick utilising CEC and the network port on the TV itself or hanging off the HDMI stick.

Then one day it'll be nearly there!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

99% of televisions run Linux already. In fact, I just downloaded the source code to my LG LH90 this weekend so I could get some details on the IR remote implementation. I'm a little surprised that nobody has hacked one to run XBMC already. My best guesses as to why are:
1. Televisions can be bricked, and it's a pretty expensive item to mess with.
2. TV's are mass market, high volume products. They engineer them to have the bare minimum parts and resources to do the job. Generally, hacking things requires extra RAM, storage, CPU horsepower, etc. which are just lacking in these types of products.
3. TV's are very proprietary systems. Team XBMC has regularly made it clear that they aren't interested in putting their time towards these. Even within one brand, the architecture completely changes regularly.

I agree with HF, the most sustainable solution is a TV which provides a standard platform (IOS or Android). These will come eventually. I recommend building a NAS in preparation Smile
I have an HP microserver with a low profile graphics card with HDMI that I use as my main server and XBMC Machine. I also have a couple of Rasp Pi's that I have found to be wanting when it comes to XBMC so have just ordered a g-box midnight clone from DX hoping that this will improve things for the bedroom TV. Was just wondering if TV's had been considered for XBMC, as has been said a lot of them have some form of android on them anyway. Would there be a market for a TV manufacturer to make a set with Linux or Android that could run XBMC smoothly.
(2013-04-29, 20:43)Swindiff Wrote: I have an HP microserver with a low profile graphics card with HDMI that I use as my main server and XBMC Machine. I also have a couple of Rasp Pi's that I have found to be wanting when it comes to XBMC so have just ordered a g-box midnight clone from DX hoping that this will improve things for the bedroom TV. Was just wondering if TV's had been considered for XBMC, as has been said a lot of them have some form of android on them anyway. Would there be a market for a TV manufacturer to make a set with Linux or Android that could run XBMC smoothly.
I think there is a market for it, but most TV manufacturers are more interested in a proprietary solution. They want to drive you towards their products and services, not give you access to commodity products. The whole convergence of media that occurred over the last decade is essentially being unwound by greed. Why would Sony give you access to Android (and the Google Play store for purchasing media), when they can force you to use the Sony Entertainment Network instead? Oh, and they even give you cloud access (whatever the hell that is) with "PlayMemories". On the plus side, they do make a GoogleTV box - maybe that will get integrated into a set someday.
Samsung has their "Smart Hub", which has lots of apps - all of which share the annoying user interface. Of course, the UI is not configurable and Samsung's own apps get top billing on the screen, and you can't delete or relocate them.
LG has "premium apps" from approved vendors (Netflix, MLB, etc.) and their SmartWorld app store. They are the most progressive, actually having a Plex client built in!
Panasonic has their VieraConnect app store.
Toshiba has their proprietary "Places".
Phillips has "SmartTv", which is more of the same.

They are all hoping to become the next iTunes, and rule the content delivery world. None of them really allow for third party apps. None of them are "open" in any way, even though they had no trouble building themselves on the backs of the Linux kernel. They are all trying to wrangle exclusive deals for content - Oh, you'd like to watch your favorite show? It's not available from the apps on your LG Television, you'll have to get a Samsung.

As you can see, I'm fairly pessimistic about all of the major TV manufacturers. However I'm optimistic about the future anyway because, quite simply, we don't need them. They need us. With a $200 homemade set-top HTPC, I can circumvent all of their "Smart" noise, and purchase content from whomever I choose, display it using whatever mechanism I like, and control it from wherever I am. They can take their smart TV's and shove them. Of course, we do need their displays - but we have them dead to rights on that as well. Their only option is to "take their ball and go home", eg: go out of business, which is obviously not what they want to do.

Moral: Don't sit on your hands and wait for giant corporations to give you the products you want. Go make it happen for yourself, and wait for the rest of the world to catch up. I've been using XBMC for over a decade now, and I'm yet to see a proprietary solution that even comes close.
(2013-04-29, 21:11)teaguecl Wrote:
(2013-04-29, 20:43)Swindiff Wrote: I have an HP microserver with a low profile graphics card with HDMI that I use as my main server and XBMC Machine. I also have a couple of Rasp Pi's that I have found to be wanting when it comes to XBMC so have just ordered a g-box midnight clone from DX hoping that this will improve things for the bedroom TV. Was just wondering if TV's had been considered for XBMC, as has been said a lot of them have some form of android on them anyway. Would there be a market for a TV manufacturer to make a set with Linux or Android that could run XBMC smoothly.
I think there is a market for it, but most TV manufacturers are more interested in a proprietary solution.

EXACTLY!
TV with XBMC seems like good idea - just a TV, no additional boxes needed (apart from NAS, but it doesn't have to be in TV room), one remotel. However, I don't think this will happen any time soon, probably not ever.
My preferred and more realistic setup is NAS holding movies/videos (somewhere in HW room), TV with DLNA support, Tablet with XBMC installed that can send media for playback to TV via DLNA. In fact, this already works with XBMC 13 with UPnP support Wink
1. Use pry bar on TV
2. Throw ARM device in empty cavity inside of TV
3. Glue TV back together haphazardly
4. ???
5. Profit
We really don't need smart TV. Are ours monitors smart? Despite buzz which make manufacturers, smart is really a shit comparing it to xbmc. Slow crippled lacking of standards.
I think that some day there will be some brave manufacturer, which will make xbmc in TV. Maybe it will be Manta, Thomson or other less known manufacturer. Maybe it will be some uknown Chinese manufacturer. Who will be the first - win.
Well here is an android ICS TV, first I have seen

http://www.kogan.com/uk/buy/32-agora-smart-led-tv-hd/
(2013-06-03, 12:06)Swindiff Wrote: Well here is an android ICS TV, first I have seen

http://www.kogan.com/uk/buy/32-agora-smart-led-tv-hd/

Got one the Kogan 32inch model it runs XBMC OKAY.

THE TV:
poor viewing angles
very cheap look and feel
IR reciever is very directional

THE ANDROID PART
slow to boot, must cold boot everytime tv is turned on.
no Hardware acceleration yet.
usb keyboard, mouse works...
need to try out a remote control but havent....
LG has a Google TV.

http://www.lg.com/us/lggoogletv/index.jsp#page=qanda
The other issue is people dont tend to upgrade TVS near as much as these boxes. So i spend $99 for say a fire tv today in a year or 2 a newer better box is out i can just spend $99 again. Tv costs $1000 plus for a decent sized big screen
(2014-04-29, 19:29)dascoba Wrote: LG has a Google TV.

http://www.lg.com/us/lggoogletv/index.jsp#page=qanda

Yes I bought 3 months ago working very good it run android 4.2 You can make it autostart XBMC when turn TV on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV with XBMC built in ?0