No audio HDMI out from QNAP 469L
Hi All,

I've had my QNAP TS-469L for about a week and still on a very steep learning curve. I'm looking to HD Station / XBMC to replace my TVICO 6600N meadia player

I've been able to get video via my pre-amp / processor (McIntosh MX 150) but no audio - with a nagging error message:

"Failed to Initialize Audio Device"

I've tried on both movies and music files without success

My pre-amp /processor can handle all audio and video file types so this isn't the problem

1. Would very much appreciate any guidance on what audio settings i need to enter into XBMC / other from you as it's driving me nuts
2. On an unrelated matter - the screen saver doesn't appear to work - it just goes to a black screen?
3. Also how can i update the XBMC software version? or does it always use the current version via default auto update?
--

QNAP TS-469L
Ram: 3 GB
4 x 3 TB WD REDS
Latest F/W 3.8.3 – updated 4 days ago
XBMC v 12.1 (I think – at least this is what scrolling on my xbmc screen)

Laptop WIN 7
Tablet: iPad 1
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Big thanks in advance and greetings from Sydney, Australia

Jim
Hi JIm

i have exactly the same problem did you ever work this issue out?

Thanks
Hi hfctech

No I never got it resolved - QNAP's official position is that it does NOT support audio pass-through or in other words theirs is a substandard implementation of the HDMI standard. So after countless hours of stuffing about, calls and emails to QNAP, i've given up.

It's not all bad though - having considered this further, I've arrived at the view that it doesn't actually make sense to have QNAP/NAS perform the function of a media player. It's a NAS after all and IMO should be used purely for storage and retrieval of, in my case, video library as well as other NAS related functions.

After some further digging about i upgraded my dedicated media player (TVIX M 6600N) and went for :

Xtreamer Ultra 2

primarily so i could run the XBMC interface; it seamlessly accesses the NAS based library via smaba share and works well. An ability to run the XBMC interface/GUI alone is worth the hassle.

Good luck / Jim
(2013-06-16, 01:56)AU Jim Wrote: It's not all bad though - having considered this further, I've arrived at the view that it doesn't actually make sense to have QNAP/NAS perform the function of a media player. It's a NAS after all and IMO should be used purely for storage and retrieval of, in my case, video library as well as other NAS related functions.
Exactly!!
If you could provide an xbmc.log one could see more, e.g. the device enumeration.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello,

I had the same problem. Then I found a thread on the QNAP forums which solved the problem for my QNAP:

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=295&t=68046

Hope that helps

Mogo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio HDMI out from QNAP 469L0