Giving up on Windows, is OpenELEC the answer?
(2013-05-13, 19:57)jhhoffma Wrote: Both systems are back using Win7 with XBMC on top. It works just fine without any issues. I use XBMCLauncher to manage sleep/resume process: close XBMC on suspend, start it again on resume. I set XBMC as the shell (no loading Explorer) and only hiccup is adding a 5 sec delay on the wifi machine to give the adapter time to grab the network before trying to load the MySQL DB on my server. Using XBMC as the shell prevents anything loading in the background, and even if you choose to use Explorer as the Windows shell, XBMCLaucher can be set to restore XBMC to focus as you wish.

I second this. If you decide to go back to Windows you should check out XBMCLauncher. I just redid my HTPC last night with Win8, replaced the shell with XBMCLauncher and turned off Gui Boot. Feels just like an appliance, boots quickly and you get the benefit of HD Audio and other plugins that require Windows.

I also turn my PC completely off when I'm done and stay away from sleep or hibernate. I've definitely had issues with both. Check out this thread to turn your HTPC on with a remote (if your motherboard supports it).
TV: VIZIO E-Series 43”
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 3
STORAGE: Windows 8 Server with DrivePool (Currently with 24TB)
(2013-05-15, 09:59)mprassel Wrote:
(2013-05-13, 19:57)jhhoffma Wrote: Both systems are back using Win7 with XBMC on top. It works just fine without any issues. I use XBMCLauncher to manage sleep/resume process: close XBMC on suspend, start it again on resume. I set XBMC as the shell (no loading Explorer) and only hiccup is adding a 5 sec delay on the wifi machine to give the adapter time to grab the network before trying to load the MySQL DB on my server. Using XBMC as the shell prevents anything loading in the background, and even if you choose to use Explorer as the Windows shell, XBMCLaucher can be set to restore XBMC to focus as you wish.

I second this. If you decide to go back to Windows you should check out XBMCLauncher. I just redid my HTPC last night with Win8, replaced the shell with XBMCLauncher and turned off Gui Boot. Feels just like an appliance, boots quickly and you get the benefit of HD Audio and other plugins that require Windows.

I also turn my PC completely off when I'm done and stay away from sleep or hibernate. I've definitely had issues with both. Check out this thread to turn your HTPC on with a remote (if your motherboard supports it).

Thanks. If OE doesn't cut it and I go back to windows, I'll try XBMCLauncher. I would definitely like to shut off my HTPC every time and power up from S5, but my mobo doesn't support it, unfortunately. In fact, if I could do that, I probably won't even need XBMCLauncher since my current "fix" for my sleep problem is to simply reboot it. Ironically, I have a script set up right now that automatically reboots my PC as soon as I resume it from sleep. How's that for inelegant. Ugh.
Zed's no moving parts HTPC
i3 2100, Thermalright Ultra 120 HS, 4GB DDR3, 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, Z68 Mobo, Silverstone TJ08B-E Case, Seasonic 400FL PSU, Onkyo TX-SR608

Zed's Trinity uHTPC
A10 5700, Noctua NH-L9a HSF, 4GB DDR3, 64GB Crucial M4 SSD, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 Mobo, Wesena ITX4 Case w/90W PSU

Another benefit of XBMCLauncher is that it can make sure XBMC keeps focus. Helpful if you have issues with that too.
TV: VIZIO E-Series 43”
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 3
STORAGE: Windows 8 Server with DrivePool (Currently with 24TB)
OK, finally got a chance to give OpenELEC a try on my Intel Sandy Bridge HTPC (the one linked in my sig).

It. Just. Works.

That problem I was having with 24p stutter? Fixed.
The problem I was having with audio sync on 24p? Fixed.
Resume from sleep? Fixed.
Other apps stealing focus? Not gonna happen.

Super easy install. Running it off a flash drive right now.

Before I tried this, I gave Windows one last shot with XMBC Launcher. Still problems with resume/sleep. Other apps (TeamViewer) could still grab focus despite that supposedly not being possible.

While I could live with my 24p issues before, it's great that OpenELEC fixed them.

I might set things up to dual boot in the future but for now OpenELEC is going full-time. We'll see if we get any weirdness over the next few months but the WAF should go way up now. As well as the HAF!
i3 2100, Thermalright Ultra 120 HS, 4GB DDR3, 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, Z68 Mobo, Silverstone TJ08B-E Case, Seasonic 400FL PSU, Onkyo TX-SR608

Zed's Trinity uHTPC
A10 5700, Noctua NH-L9a HSF, 4GB DDR3, 64GB Crucial M4 SSD, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 Mobo, Wesena ITX4 Case w/90W PSU

Until some changes are made, I have to use Windows so that I can access Netflix. Also, it seems that my tv tuners are not Linux supported.
Just a quick update. Still not enough time with OpenELEC to call it a success (wife needs to start using it on her own for that to be achieved), but I did decide to take the next step and install OE to my internal SSD rather than run it off the flash drive.

There was a definite improvement in cover-art loading times (using MySQL shared database) and overall snappiness, versus both the flash drive OE install, and the Win7 XBMC install. Not sure if I'm imagining things, but pretty happy with the results so far.

Zed's Trinity uHTPC

Two months in and the wife is now using the HTPC without me being in the room (or even the house, for that matter)!

I still can't get BlueCop's ESPN3 adddon to work ("script failed" error every time) but that's a sacrifice I can live with.

Now to roll OpenELEC out on my Trinity HTPC. Could be a little tougher, but I'm excited.

Zed's Trinity uHTPC

openelec is simple to setup, took me less then 5 mins the download took longer

as for windows build, there should not be pop ups if your only running xbmc and if there are just disable them from starting up at boot/logon

my setup is just auto login with shortcut in startup in the windows start menu. which has a 5 sec delay and full screen

google is your friend
I suck at discussions because I keep going off on tangents and get lost in the finer details :laugh:
I am not keen on OpenElec. Biggest Reason:

- Updating the library is very very slow particularly for TV programs
(2013-07-31, 15:53)joelbaby Wrote: I am not keen on OpenElec. Biggest Reason:

And how is that related to OE in any way since that is an xbmc function?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-07-31, 15:53)joelbaby Wrote: I am not keen on OpenElec. Biggest Reason:

This is more likely to be a hardware related issue rather than software related.
(2013-05-30, 16:44)bznotins Wrote: Just a quick update. Still not enough time with OpenELEC to call it a success (wife needs to start using it on her own for that to be achieved), but I did decide to take the next step and install OE to my internal SSD rather than run it off the flash drive.

There was a definite improvement in cover-art loading times (using MySQL shared database) and overall snappiness, versus both the flash drive OE install, and the Win7 XBMC install. Not sure if I'm imagining things, but pretty happy with the results so far.

Did you have any luck with OE on your Trinity HTPC? I'm looking to build a Trinity based system for OE, so looking for advice.
Openelec is great I agree. I was also surprised how all MCE remote buttons work well like they have never worked before under Windows.

I must say however that I bought Asrock VisionX HTPC, which motherboard supports UEFI (newer / better BIOS), installed Win 8.1 + XBMC launcher (just make to sure to install custom MCE keys), replaced shell within XBMC Launcher and Win 8 boots to XBMC directly.

I have enabled fast startup in UEFI and fast boot in Windows 8. There is no need to sleep / hibernate XBMC, I always power it down as from the moment I power it on it takes 15s to have XBMC up and running (this is running WIn 8 on mSata SSD). I could perhaps even go below 15s if I would enable ultra fast startup in UEFI, but haven't tried that yet.

It is crucial to run Win 8 should you wish to play Blu Ray discs.
(2013-10-28, 23:18)stiwi Wrote: It is crucial to run Win 8 should you wish to play Blu Ray discs.
No
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-29, 01:50)nickr Wrote:
(2013-10-28, 23:18)stiwi Wrote: It is crucial to run Win 8 should you wish to play Blu Ray discs.
No

"No" and? Sources?
Win 7 also can Smile I was just saying, Windows is crucial overall as Linux doesn't support Blu Ray discs due to DRM AFAIK.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Giving up on Windows, is OpenELEC the answer?0