xbmc hub edtion & v12 frodo
I have a apple tv2 which was jailbroken with frodo v12. However I recently jailbroke my iphone 5 and this has now messed up my settings with my apple tv. I had frodo v12 originally with my apple tv, but now it seems to have downgraded its software to the xbmc hub edition. I have tried installing frodo v12 with putty however haven't been successfull in doing so. Does anyone know of a way to get frodo v12 back? Whenever I have tried to re-install frodo back with putty it claims that my software is up to date. Any suggestions are appreciated.
So you claim that by jailbreaking your iPhone your ATV2 suddenly installed some XBMCHub crap? Sorry, but this just can't happen..
Believe me I didn't think it was possible either. However I am now using XBMCHUB edition, which I didn't have before.
Hint: Nobody here is going to help you with that 'hub edition'. Rejailbreak, and follow the wiki install, don't do it with other third party non official apps
You were right when you said it was not possible. It is not.
Even if it is not technically/directly possible, tooglies is in this situation and this is what he observed. My theory is that there's been some legitimate confusion that could happen to anyone, and getting to the bottom of this is in XBMC's best interest. We know XBMCHUB likes to blur the line when it comes to them being unofficial, so I think it would be fair to give tooglies the benefit of the doubt.

My first guess is that when he jailbroke his iPhone that he installed the HUB wizard installer from one of the default Cydia repos. XBMC isn't included in any default repo, so if you search Cydia for "XBMC", then all you get is the HUB installer. The HUB installer can install XBMC either locally on the iPhone, or it can search the network and find ATV2's to install on to.

If so, to fix the problem he should uninstall the HUB installer from Cydia, uninstall XBMC from the ATV2 and/or iPhone, and then install XBMC using our normal wiki instructions.
I have gathered from the short tempered exchange above that xbmchub Wizard is not official, and therefore not supported.

I too have this installed and was unaware that it was unofficial until now. Naturally I will uninstall it and revert to the correct installation - but please bear in mind that it is rather difficult to tell that it is in fact a third party release and not supported. There is no need to be rude.
Wait a minute...XBMChub is NOT an official version? How is anyone suppose to know that?
I decided to upgrade to 12 (Frodo) a couple of weeks ago. After having a couple of "DB Malformed" issues I deleted and re-installed using "XBMCHub wizard" I believe and everything has been fine. In fact, I love what I thought was "Frodo."
Now I'm no noob, I'm reading on this board or on the XBMC wiki ALL the time and I had NO IDEA.
I read about an UNauthorized version a few weeks back, I believe it was here, on this site, but the author never named this unofficial xbmc. I assumed that it was like an unofficial version of "Evasi0n," ...ya know, fake.
Admittedly, I haven't been jailbreaking Atvs for long, couple of years maybe, but I've been jailbreaking iPhones for a long time. Point being I'm around and had NO idea I was running the "wrong" version.
You might want to put up a sticky and point this out. I wish I had known.
Well we had it posted in our blog for example ...

http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2013/05/06/th...-software/

Hard to communicate it well - there will always be users which won't read that sort of news...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I don't think you read my whole post....

"I read about an UNauthorized version a few weeks back, I believe it was here, on this site, but the author never named this unofficial xbmc. I assumed that it was like an unofficial version of "Evasi0n," ...ya know, fake."

I read the blog. It gives no information at all.

You know XBMC is an amazing device. People marvel at my setup when they come over to my house My whole entertainment setup, thousands of movies, tv shows and cds, all in beautiful HD DTS, streaming from my home server and all controlled by a simple apple remote.

And you know what the most difficult obstacle to overcome was? Information. Not building the hardware or installing or running xbmc, just the info about it.
There's a secret club mentality that hurts the whole thing. It's difficult to find info on what it does, how to get it and what the plugins do.
There is no way tooglies knew there was a problem re:xbmchub because no one else knows. And when the subject is brought up you refer me back to an article I already cited. I don't mean to sound aggressive but I want to know. Why not just tell us what the problem is?
If it's the illegal streaming plugins well you can get those for ANY verion of xbmc. (and who the hell wants to stream lousy mono cam versions of movies to their system anyway?)
Is it inferior in some way? Is it unstable? I have my whole system running beautifully. Should i unstall everything to install the "official" version. That would suck but....if this is a bad product I would do it.
Or is this a "Coke, Pepsi" thing?
The point of that blog post was mostly to just shame Engadget into updating their article. The bigger issue there was that Engadget reported on the release, rather than the release existing.

They're not the only ones releasing unofficial versions of XBMC with intentionally confusing names. It's hard for us to keep track of all they do or modify, if they are causing crashes or are using older versions with bugs, etc. All we can say is "use a version from XBMC.org if you want support", otherwise it's just a guessing game on our part.

While XBMCHUB is intentionally misleading people, not everyone involved in with that website are bad people. From what I can tell, it's mostly an issue with one or two guys who run the site (maybe some others, not sure). It's a hard balance, because if we just go all out and say "XBMCHUB is shit" then we end up looking like assholes who are jealous of another community, rather than just trying to inform other users. It certainly doesn't help that the guys running XBMCHUB feed their uses with lots of propaganda, like saying they contribute more to add-on development than anyone else, or that they develop -any- code for XBMC.

It's not a "secret club" mentality. It's a "PR nightmare" mentality.
Well to sum it up. Its all about "We can't support XBMC versions which we don't know how they were modified/extended/patched". If you see problems with those versions we have no clue if it is in our code base or introduced by the 3rdparty changes done by xbmchub for example.

For the information thing - feel free to adapt the wiki at places where you got stuck when searching for info. We need help from the userbase for keeping that huge documentation up to date.

And yes indeed you sound a bit "aggressive". I guess you don't seem to understand how an open source project works. And users can't hear it anymore i bet. But we work on what we want to work on and documentation is not the thing most of us want to do (and most of us are so much more into xbmc then most users - so that its hard to know how much has to be documented and what is intuitive enough for skipping the docu).

Also its just hard to keep it up to date when so many commits in the codebase are hitting the tree each day - for those like Ned who handle all the wiki stuff for example.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Honestly for an open source project like this there is a wealth of documentation and probably the most robust support forums of any open source project I have personally dealt with. So I just want to say a big thank you for all that you guys do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc hub edtion & v12 frodo0